Author Topic: Anyone have Grey-Star or Hern Iron works Mountain Howitzers?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline rufus mcfly

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone have Grey-Star or Hern Iron works Mountain Howitzers?
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
I am new to the forum and new to black powder cannons and would like to know if any one knows about them.  Are they of shootable quality and if so at what powder charges?  Also I can't even find anyone selling balls for a 3 inch or 3.5 inch bore.  Thanks for any help you can give me, I know I have a long road of research ahead of me on a lot of things, but want to know if these are quality before I start.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Anyone have Grey-Star or Hern Iron works Mountain Howitzers?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
I am new to the forum and new to black powder cannons and would like to know if any one knows about them.  Are they of shootable quality and if so at what powder charges?  Also I can't even find anyone selling balls for a 3 inch or 3.5 inch bore.  Thanks for any help you can give me, I know I have a long road of research ahead of me on a lot of things, but want to know if these are quality before I start.

There have been some issues reported on this board with  Gray-star barrels.  They offer welded seam liners which may have an issue with corrosion failure in the seam over long periond of time.  Thy also have had a difficult time with there liners getting misaligned  during the casting.

Search google using this search term:   site:www.gboreloaded.com/forums graystar .  Try try variations in spelling greystar, gray-star, grey-star, gray star, grey star.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:18:24 AM »
 Hern Iron Works has been casting cannons for a long time, while not the best exterior finish I would say they are well made and a good starter cannon to get your feet wet with, the 12 Lb mountain howitzer is underbored…. So it does not look quite right to those who know…. Also you have a lot of extra weight for the size gun you might be better off with their 6 pndr…. I know a few people with Hern barrels and have never heard a complaint…..
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
Where would you go to get a Herns barrel steel sleeved?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
Hern's barrels come with a liner.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline rufus mcfly

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
Thanks for your help!  I'm thinking Hern sounds a little higher quality.  I'm looking at there mountain howitzer bored at 3 inch, the other question is were do you get balls for those?  Or do you all cast your own? Can't help but think that lead would be hard to cast that size and give you higher chamber pressures.  Would zinc be the other option its cheaper but who makes molds for it?  Thanks again for all your help, just don't want to get a cannon and not be able to shoot it!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
Zinc would be better.  Lighter weight and usually reusable.  Some of our sponsors can make the moulds.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

I can't find anything on herns site about there liner or any mention of it.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
This is a KABAR2 post culled from a 2009 thread; he had contacted Hern by email.

my first experience was with a friend's Hern cannon back in 1974 purchased on a steel carriage from Dixie Gun Works, 

here is the email I received back form Joel Brown,

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your interest in Hern Cannon Barrels. We have been making cannon barrels for over thirty years and would love the opportunity to make one for you.

1)    All Hern Barrels have cast-in-place steel liners. Our full scale barrels, such as 1841 Six Pounder, 10-Pdr Parrott Rifle, 20-Pdr Parrott Rifle, 1857 Napoleon, and 3" Ordnance Rifle are made with 1/2" Wall DOM (Drawn over Mandrel) Tubing and have a press-fit and welded breech plug. DOM Liners have the most consistent bore diameter and are stronger than HFS Tubing.

2)    Our barrels are cast in a horizontal flask. The front of the liner is held in a core-print in the mold, and the rear of the liner is centered in the mold by rows of welded spacers called chaplets. This prevents any shift in the liner during the casting process. The liner is shotblasted prior to attachment of the chaplets and fitting of the breech plug to remove any oxides and to promote bonding of the iron with the liner.

Please feel free to call me at 800-228-7794 if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Joel Brown
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
HMR makes molds . Give me a shout and we'll see what we can work out . Ed

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 06:15:31 PM »

Yes that's true, but a number of use have been in contact with them over the years a and and number of us have have bought from them and a number of us have seen the tubes and we  are well aware that they use a liner.  I do not know of any US cast barrel maker who does not use a liner.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »

Yes that's true, but a number of use have been in contact with them over the years a and and number of us have have bought from them and a number of us have seen the tubes and we  are well aware that they use a liner.  I do not know of any US cast barrel maker who does not use a liner.

I guess it makes sense. When I go to Mc Donald's and order a cheese burger it doesn't say whats on it. Im supposed to just know its got Ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onions.  Same thing I guess with a cast iron cannon barrel. No need to mention whats in it. Its irrelevant as long as your using normal ketchup, mustard, onions and pickles why say anything.

If your using some new weird ingredient then you would expect that to be pointed out to you. Like if they started using cucumbers instead of pickles. 

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »

I guess it makes sense. When I go to Mc Donald's and order a cheese burger it doesn't say whats on it. Im supposed to just know its got Ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onions.  Same thing I guess with a cast iron cannon barrel. No need to mention whats in it. Its irrelevant as long as your using normal ketchup, mustard, onions and pickles why say anything.

If your using some new weird ingredient then you would expect that to be pointed out to you. Like if they started using cucumbers instead of pickles.

"You would expect that to be pointed out to you", but from my experience in business and in buying guns, it's better to have all the ingredients spelled out or you're in for a bad surprise.  I'm pretty much to the point of wanting to know who squeezed the tomatoes.