Author Topic: New Years Day Canonnade  (Read 521 times)

Offline Legio3arty

• Trade Count: (0)
New Years Day Canonnade
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
Don't know if anyone on this board caught this on the news, but on New Years Day the City of Norwich CT sponsored a 100 gun salute as part of it's 150th anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamaition observances. After a morning of speeches and bell ringing in the city center, the festivities moved to Chelsea Harbor Park where a full 6-gun battery of Civil War era fieldpieces were assembled on a snowy lawn overlooking the river. The left section was a matched pair of 6-pounders. On the right were two 12lb mountain howtizers. The center section was a 10lb Parrot and a 12lb Napoleon. It was my distinct honor to serve as #1 on the right wheel of that big bronze. Firing was by gun at 20 second intervals with double sponging to ensure safety. While we were clearing paths for the guns and limbers, a bald eagle did a few lazy circles overhead as if to bless our efforts. Our gun made it to the last shot before a couple weak primers caused us to misfire and we had to pour in some loose powder to make sure she went. You could hear the bronze guns really ring in that crisp air. Even if we weren't sending any iron downrange, it was a pretty quick and fun way to burn through about 17lbs of powder. It only took two days for my forearms to stop aching from all that swabbing and ramming. I wonder if the #1s back in the day all wound up with Popeye arms? I'l have to look at some pictures. There are some photos and videos posted on line by the Norwich Bulletin and others, just google Norwich emancipation cannon.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New Years Day Canonnade
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »
How long did it take to fire the 100 shots?

Offline Legio3arty

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
With six guns we were going for three shots a minute (20 second intervals). That would keep us a a nice steady and safe round per gun every two minutes of sustained fire. I'm sure a few folks who had a little too much champagne the night before were not too happy with us. Counting minor delays for the occasional misfire etc, I guess it took about 35-40 minutes. I was a little too busy to keep track of time. The barrel wasn't even warm when we stood down. This is the same gun my 11 year old son got to live fire at my friend's 4th of July shoot. Turns out he's almost as good a shot with a napoleon as he is with a paintball gun.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Here is the youtube video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjJYldOqsw

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the post, Legio3arty, and also thanks to moose53 for posting the vid.
Here's another video from a CT news station, that has a few views of the guns.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Legio3arty

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:51 PM »
Yep, that's me on the right in the cover image with the infantry frock coat on. At least I scrounged up a set of crossed cannon for my forage cap. Thanks for posting the link. We had a blast.... literally!