Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 2277 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Bad news
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
I recently cleaned an oiled all my guns because of a Dri-z-air spill in my safe.  I was running a wet patch with Ed's Red bore cleaner of my .44 Handi when I felt something catch.  So I ran a wet brush down the bore and then a dry patch.  About 1/3 up from the breach is some rust pitting. 

I Thought I ran an oiled patch down the bore before I moved and none of my other guns show any signs of rust.  On the other hand, I may not have oiled it before the move but still a couple of my other guns weren't oiled before the move.  I think it was probably like that when I bought it.

I was just getting over pneumonia when I bought it and I didn't have much energy so it's possible I didn't look down the bore.  It was my fist outing after being sick and a friend thought visiting a few gun shops would cheer me up...  I don't think I looked down the bore after I first shot it either.  The same friend took me shooting and needless to say by then, I still didn't have mug energy.  I had one other new to me gun at the time and I only put 2 rounds through it.

So now what can I do with a damaged .44 mag barrel?  I had thought about selling it but that's probably out of the question now...  Would polishing it up with JB bore paste help?

Tony

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Bad news
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
if it's already rusted, it won't hurt to try.
i'd try that very thing first before i tried
any more severe solution. it may not be
as bad as you think.
good luck
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline fluffyphydeaux2010

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
sorry to hear that. love the 44 handi's

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:30:57 PM »
My muzzleloader had some pitting before I bought it and it still shoots as good as I can hold.... but the patch may make it a little more forgiving. Either way not a fun thing to realize, I bet a deer probably wont know its pitted....  ;)    thejanitor

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
It probably won't hurt anything. I let a friend borrow my .308 Savage and I didn't know it but he shot some cheap military surplus corrosive ammo in it and didn't clean it. When he gave it back it looked like it had brown fur all the way down the barrel. I soaked it with everything I could think of to brighten the bore again but it was permanently darkened. It still shot fine but it really bugged me. I don't loan guns anymore.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
In my disappointment about finding any pitting at all, I think I'm exaggerating how bad it is.  I take very good care of my guns and any rust on them especially in the bore is aggravating.  I looked up the tube again just now and I really have to look for the pitting.

The past couple years have been crazy for me and I never really got a good chance to dial it in.  Most of the problems I had with it were with seeing the sights.  I had it scoped for awhile but again, I didn't get enough time with it to get it dialed in.  One thing for sure it seemed to shoot the best with some hot hand loads that were given to me.

Maybe a good polishing will take care of it but I won't know for a while longer because the rest of the gun is out getting fitted for a .17 Hornet barrel.  This is one of the rare .44 Mags that came on a SB2 frame. 

Tony

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:36 AM »
Shooter...an don't look down tha bore no more........  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »
+1 for Gendoc
 Look on the top of the barrel instead of the inside ;D
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
If you can't live with the pitting, just list it in the classifieds and be up front with it and refer to this thread.
You can bet someone will be willing to give it a home!   ;)
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
If it were me, I would polish it very well with your favorite polish. You mentioned JB and it is a good one. Polish it very well then shoot it. Depending on how bad the pitting is, it could shoot so well that you would never know it had a pit. It might shoot well with jacketed and not lead, but again, it may shoot lead well too. Just try it and see. Like Jimbo47 said, if you just can not live with it, put it up for sale. I am willing to bet you will not have any problems with accuracy with it at all. I have some older 22 rim fires that have pitted bores and they shoot well.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »
If it doesn't still perform like you think it should, is there enough barrel before the pitting to legally make it a shorty?  Just another option if there is.
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline ventura guy

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
I bought my .44 used but like new. It has a rough spot about 1/3 from the breach as well. We don't really have problems with rusty bores where I live so I think it was something in the tooling when they cut the barrel or chamber. I do have some mil surplus rifles with rusty bored though. With my Handi I just shoot the heck out of it. Cast or Jacket the bore imperfection doesn't  seem to bother anything at all. If its really rusty/crusty than cast bullets with a good coating of Lee alox will still give amazing accuracy. As a matter of fact my favorite .44 bullet is the lee 310 grain sized to .432 and alliant 2400 powder. It just doesn't get any better than that combo. 

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 07:23:12 AM »
Shooter...an don't look down tha bore no more........  ;D

YEP... but JB that sucker, first with a bronze brush, then with a patch, then with bore brite... it will sooth your sub-conscious if you do and you will FEEL better about the barrel.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
Geezerbiker,
You could always send it to me.  I run a home for wayward, orphan, and abused guns.  I search the pawn shops and pick up likely candidates.  Then I rehabilitate them and give them a good home.  ;D

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
That brings a tear to my eye!   You sir are a true gentleman!  :'(
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
I hate it when that happens..........you might be lucky and it was more a surface growth rather than a deep pit. Some jacketed fired downbore might smooth it out surprisingly well.
Its hard to ignore until you get it cleaned up and shoot some good groups, but the thought that it happened may never entirely go away.
I have some guns that I bought that way and I have lived with them and made 'em work (resurrected?), I expect you will too.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
I have cleaned some down right nasty bores up on mosin nagants with a brass brush and some mothers mag wheel polish. My m44 was pretty bad when i got it now it looks like it is chrome lined. That polish is probably not as aggressive as the bore paste.

Offline cbshtr

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
If it is a little worse than surface rust you can fire lap the bore.  The results can be amazing as far as accuracy and ease of cleaning. The main thing is to go slow at it. I would just Google the process. Life is too short for me to try to write it out. But it well worth the time to save a damaged bore.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  I almost never clean a bore.  They don't need it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
It probably wasn't much of bad news as being depressed about finding pitting at all.  Anyway someone made me an offer on it and I let it go.

With the proceeds and a spurt in business, I find myself in the market for another gun.  I'm giving  myself a week or so to consider it but I've narrowed it down to 3 Handi's.  The first is an iron sighted 22" .45-70 with a pallet wood stock, the second is a .444 M with a scope base and a synthetic stock and last but not least is an iron sighted .30-30 with a pallet wood stock.  A little out of my price range are a Buffalo carbine and stainless 24 in .45-70 with a laminate thumb hole stock.

I really want to put peeps on the next one so I'd like one that's already tapped for sights but I could just have the front tapped and put a peep on the scope mount holes.  Also the next one will be sent out pretty soon after getting it for a 20 gauge barrel.

If I could get the .444 with iron sights and a pallet wood stock, the decision would be easy but there's not many left in is caliber.  I already cast bullets in this diameter and I would only need brass and dies.  The down side is expensive brass that could start being scarce in a few years.  Also I'm not thrilled about another plastic stock.

The .45-70 is just plain classic.  Brass is common but I'd also have to buy a bullet mold as well as brass and dies.  The down side is I have no reloading stuff for this caliber.

The .30-30 is also just plain classic and would also be a good gun to introduce the twin grandsons to center-fire shooting.  I have brass, dies, bullets, molds  and everything else to load for this round.  The only down side is I have 2 other .30-30's, one lever and one bolt.  This one would get reamed to Ackley improved if I get it.

It's a good thing I have time to think about this one...

Tony

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 01:44:08 AM »
I'm a big fan of the .45-70 but the .30-30sare usually highly accurate and cheap to shoot.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 03:56:51 AM »
As much as I like my 45-70 I need to say that a pound of lead does not make very many bullets. I used to have a Marlin lever in 444 and it was a nasty kicker with factory loads and loaded down to 44Mag levels wasnt all that much better. That surprised me for such a heavy rifle and a rubber pad. At first I used my 44Mag dies for neck sizing and seating with a universal decapper; worked fine for cast bullet reloading.
Id say go for the 30-30, it meets your criteria and you can load it from 32-20 equiv. on up to AI with spitzers. (Way different POI though!).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »
Right now I'm leaning toward the .45-70.  So long as I can get accurate reduced cast bullet loads to shoot well so my grandsons can shoot it too.  I figure I should be able to get deer dropping cast loads the boys can shoot...

Which ever one I get it will get this rear sight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/572292/williams-fp-h-and-r-tk-receiver-peep-sight-white-systems-h-and-r-buffalo-classic-and-handi-rifles-with-target-knobs-aluminum-black

Maybe if I have a good year I'll get both...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 03:37:27 AM »
That sight is/was available thru H&R also. I had one on my first 38-55 and it was a dandy, though not traditional looking on a TM/BC style rifle. I think they are a good value for the money.
Ive found it hard to make an inaccurate load in the 45-70 with smokeless and cast bullets. My trials with even the Lee 340gr. have been satisfactory though I favor the 405gr.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 04:17:48 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it none and I bet it won't make a bit of difference as to how well it shoots.
Clean it as best you can and forget about it.
It's bot like these are collector grade guns.
I have shot some very bad bores in pre 1900 age guns in the past from an entire life of shooting BP loads through them with very little cleaning and they still shoot as good as I can hold.
One of my best shooting 1873 Winchesters which was made in 1887 has a bore so dark and pitted most people would say there is no way that thing can shoot but it will keep 5 shots inside 2.5" at 100 with open sights.
Just won't do it with my eyes. ;D
The best I can get out of it is around 3.5" to 4" but even that ain't bad for a gun that is 125 years old and in rough shape bore wise.
SHOOT IT and have fun!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
bought a old muzzeloader yesterday looked down the barrel fuzzy and dirty. pretty bad put carb cleaner down the barrel then put polishing paste on a bore brush run it down the bore around  60 times .then cleaned it out with kroil .the bore really shines now but my hands are a mess. now to reblue the barrel and put it all back together.more fun.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
Next time you are at the doc get some of those 'multiple digit, rear-inspection prophylactics'............
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
Next time you are at the doc get some of those 'multiple digit, rear-inspection prophylactics'............
:o
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
30-30.  cheap and accurate.  Cast or jacketed, load up or down.  and you got all the stuff.  I'd buy another for the right price.  JMHO...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
:o

I had to think about it hard but he's referring to rubber gloves for when cleaning guns.  I was a motorcycle mechanic for many years and I'm used to getting my hands dirty.  I don't get the new generation of mechanics that don't want to get dirty...

Tony