Author Topic: HI POINT?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
HI POINT?
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:48 AM »
Right now I have a S&W Sigma in .40 given to me by my SIL.  I like (for probable uses) the cap gun trigger, the 15 rd. mags.  But it shoots low a considerable amount, sent the slide in to S&W for a lower sight, they gave me a 2 dot one, when I asked for the lowest available.  The sights are sonic welded, so you can't do it yourself.

Any of you have the hi point, or shot one?  I looked at one, other than heavy, and ugly, it fits the bill.  I don't need a hi-cap, mostly I haven't even  needed the first round.  I am lefty, and the right hand safety concersn me a bit.  I have been told they are single action, and striker fired double, couldn't make up my mind on the one I looked at.  They do not have a toggle trigger which makes the Sigma OK for LH use.  Mag releases and all are strictly right hand.  I know there are other options, but I can't afford any of them, expecially right now.  Background takes 8 days, and everything is dear. 

My thoughts are that it may be a good market to trade or sell the Sigma with the hi-caps and move into a straighter shooting .40.  I already have revolvers I can use for the same things, carried in the trunk on trips, or kept close when camping.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: HI POINT?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
Have you tried different loads in the Sigma?   Bullet weight will often affect POI significantly.   If I'm not mistaken heavier bullets generally have a higher POI.   .40 S&W can be had in a range from around 155gr to 180gr.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »
If it shoots low you can always file some off the front sight to raise the impact.  Offhand I don't know how tall the front sight is on a Sigma, so don't know how much there is to work with.

I'd try different loads first, and if you do decide to file down the front sight go SLOW, taking a very little bit off and then shoot and repeat if needed.

The Hi-Point is single action only and for a lefty it would be awkward to move the safety on and off.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
The hipoint pistols are awkward for a lefty I am a lefty I have owned all but the 380 and do well with my c9 which is the only one I still own. They have all been accurate and reliable for my uses

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
Folks shootin is for fun--any other use is a side bar.
A Hi-Point will work fine---I just don't like them.
The point is if you shoot for fun then you are prepared to shoot.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
Never owned a Hi-Point pistol but have shot one and found it to be quite accurate although big and heavy.  I did buy a Hi-Point 9mm carbine a few years ago and enjoy this small rifle.  Now as a resident of NYS, must register it as an assult rifle because of pistol grip.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:02 AM »
better then a stick i guess ;)
blue lives matter

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 03:03:51 AM »
I have one in 380 and seems to shoot fine. This is the bedroom gun and the only one in the house that isn't locked up (except for the carry guns). I bought the High Point because it was cheap and if some one breaks into the house it will be the only one they will leave with, providing they don't have a torch.
Cheap to replace.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 05:31:44 AM »
I known several people that have owned Hi Point pistols and they all said they shot very well but also say they are clunky and have no sense of refinement.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:43 AM »
I have owned a Hi-Point carbine and shot their 9mm handgun. My impression is they are kinda clunky,but they are inexpensive and most importantly they work. They also have a lifetime guarantee.  I really think the carbine would make a good home defense weapon,especially for someone that doesn't shoot a lot.

Offline Brett

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »

Then again a sharp stick could be less bulky and more concealable depending on it's caliber.  ;D ;)

Offline Bigmagnum

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »

Then again a sharp stick could be less bulky and more concealable depending on it's caliber.  ;D ;)

Lol I worked at an indoor range years ago both were problematic. Save up and get something you'd trust your life with in the meantime put the Sigma in a sock and swing in like a wild man..
The wicked flee when no man pursueth:

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »
I wouldn't waste my time on a Hi-Point. I would look for a quality used pistol, or find a load the Sigma would shoot.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »
Guess that would depend on your opinion of  what "quality" is...my impression comes from only shooting ONE Hi Point in 9mm.  I fired 2 boxes through it and the fella that owns it fired two boxes also..Eagle brand ammo, fmj, target.  Not once did it jam, fail to eject, or fail to feed. After adjusting the rear sight the thing shot very well..quite accurate actually (20yds) After shooting we disassembled the gun, (I keep reading where this is difficult, I don't see that at all, sure you have to drive a pin out, but thats about it. Try taking a revolver apart, much tougher) have to admit it looks pretty chintzy in there, but there ain't much to go wrong in there either, very simple setup..so we have a gun that works, pretty darn accurate, simple design, lite recoil, (cause it weighs a bit)  lifetime warrenty, CHEAP, ain't that bad lookin, (eye of the beholder kind of thing), so what's the beef..? If I were to purchase one, (?) I would want to run at least 500 rounds through it, TROUBLE FREE, before I think I would risk my neck with it, but still.........if you want to go on a foum and impress folks with pictures of your new pistol with all the cool stuff on it, and with the cost factor, DO NOT BUY THIS GUN....the only person who will be impressed by this weapon is the person you're pointing it at with bad intentions....... :)

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »
I agree with everything Painted Horse said. I have one (c9) that I bought as a truck gun due to the replacement cost if it were to be stolen. Many years and rounds later it is still there and fireing with every trigger pull. I think the only time it has every jammed was when I passed my first clip through it when it was fresh out the box. After that first clip it was not stopped since. I am very impressd with it and have no need to replace it anytime soon.

Offline Brett

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
Hi-Points are a lot like a blind dates... if you can get past the heavy and ugly they can be okay.  :P   

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
Will keep the Sigma.  Found out 165's shoot higher  ???   I can trust my .38 and .357 without worrying about springs and gumming.  Any DA will have the advantage of not needing to remember safeties, grips, and have a hard trigger pull so I don't shoot my self in the foot. 

anyway, the wait period is still running a week.  Now if I can find a handload that works, (I think I was seating too long), and work on clearing a jam, and some of the other fine points.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
Hi-Points are a lot like a blind dates... if you can get past the heavy and ugly they can be okay.  :P

Well, I gave my experiences so I guess it's only fair for you to give yours also..