Author Topic: Need some suggestions  (Read 642 times)

Offline EDChris

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some suggestions
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
I need some help here. I am looking for a small, compact handgun that would be concealable in summer type clothing (Shorts, tank top, t shirt). My budget is up to $600 and I would prefer something with some knockdown power. I've tossed around the idea of a 380 but I want some more "pop" if at all possiable. What are some good choices in my price range? Thanks ahead of time for your input!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Need some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Lots of choices - Ruger, SIG, Kahr, Kel Tek and others all make nice, sub compact 9mm's.  The new S&W Shield is very well regarded.  Important thing is to handle as many different models as possible, and see what feels best in your hand, paying attention to how it points, sights, trigger pull, etc.  Don't let size only be the deciding factor, as all the small 9's are on the big side for pocket carry, and you will most likely find yourself using a holster of some type, allowing you to carry a slightly larger, more controllable weapon.  If you are not already an accomplished handgun shooter, investing in a good semi-auto 22 handgun will pay for itself in inexpensive trigger time, and improved skills.  Many manufacturers make .22 versions of their popular centerfire models that can really help with improving your skills set.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline EDChris

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
I already own a Ruger p89. It's an absolute tank! It fine to carry up here in Northern MN in the winter because you can conceal it fairly good but this spring and summer I am going to run into troubles. I only like concealed carry. It causes less of the deer in headlights look from people.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Yup, I agree with BE and also suggest one of the sub-compact or compact 9mms.   Many manufacturers make Sub-compact 9mms that are close in size to a lot of the .380ACP offerings.  Also good 9mm self defense ammo is widely available and reasonably priced when compared to .380ACP.

A word of caution however on sub-compacts; You often hear people say get the smallest gun you can find in a given caliber for concealed carry.  That's not necessarily the best route to take.  Real small guns can be difficult to hold onto and operate especially if you have larger mitts or arthritis.  That and you would be surprised how large of a gun you can conceal using the right holster and proper cover garments.

Like BE said there are so many good guns available today from a number of manufacturers that it is difficult to suggest any particular one.    Do a bunch of research,  handle/shoot as many candidates as you can get a hold of and think about what features or requirements are most important to you before making a final decision. 

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
Ed
This is what you must do.
You can carry a Sig P220 during the summer, wearing shorts and a T-shirt and conceal it as well as a small gun. You need a decent belt and confidence,
I really can't say that about revolvers thought, because they just move around.
Put one on you one Friday night and wear it all day Saturday and Sunday, only taking it off to go to bed.
I think you will be amazed at how it becomes a part of you.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »
ED:  Brett is right about the sub-compacts.  They are often nice and light but a bear to shoot well and if you can't hit what you're shooting at you could find yourself in a deep pile of poo. 

One of my good buddies carries one of the Ruger 380s - tiny little thing almost.  Can't hit fer squat with it and it's not pleasanat to shoot.  I have a Walther Pk380 - it's larger, the same size as some of the mini-wonder 9s but I can hit very well with it and have never felt undergunned with a 380.  I also have a Walther P22, just a tad smaller than the 380 but great for plinking and practice for carrying the Pk380.

You also mentioned lightweight summer clothing - shorts, t-shirts and tank tops.  I don't know of anything that would conceal well enough under a tank top without being a overt eyeful, but even my Pk conceals under a t-shirt.  Whatever you chose is something you will have to be good enough to hit with - if you don't or can't hit with it then you'd better be pretty fast on your feet.  imo.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
Do you want to carry a gun or do you want to dress like a 13 year old? Okay maybe that is harsh, but my point is this, compromises must be made. You have to give up something shootability, capacity, or the Speedo something must go.

To slim and lighten the load think single stack mags. Walther PPS, Kahr Arms, SIG P-232, P-238, P-239, P-225 / P-6, and P-220, Ruger LCP, LC9, come to mind. Kahr has forgotten more about this market than the others have ever learned, jmho. The SIGs tend towards porky but more shootable. I have always thought the Walther to be quite interesting, a bit spendy perhaps. The Rugers are well, Rugers.

Don't over look a 1911 design, the flatness goes a long way, and who doesn't look like Thomas Magnum, sporting the shorts with a 1911 tucked in the waistband, a Hawaiian shirt covering the butt. Dude, everyone will be looking at your HAWT girlfriend anyway.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**