Author Topic: Anybody know the size/thread of the Handi-Butt stock bolt?  (Read 818 times)

Offline curator

• Trade Count: (1)
Anybody know the size/thread of the Handi-Butt stock bolt?
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »
I have a Handi receiver  that is missing the butt stock bolt. I have tried the 3/8 fine thread tap into the hole but am reluctant to turn it with any force. Any one on this forum know the length and thread of the Handi-rifle butt stock bolt? It appears to be 3/8X20X6" but I am not totally sure. All of the Parts-suppliers are out of this particular part. TIA.

Offline bjornb

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: Anybody know the size/thread of the Handi-Butt stock bolt?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
If I remember correctly it's 3/8 fine thread x 4".

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
I think they are all listed in the FAQs at the top of the Centerfire Rifle page. I got some at True Value Hardware before.

Some stocks take different lengths.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
I have a Handi receiver  that is missing the butt stock bolt. I have tried the 3/8 fine thread tap into the hole but am reluctant to turn it with any force. Any one on this forum know the length and thread of the Handi-rifle butt stock bolt? It appears to be 3/8X20X6" but I am not totally sure. All of the Parts-suppliers are out of this particular part. TIA.
This is the correct length and thread size for the butt stock bolt per the FAQ's:

"The stock bolt is a standard 3/8"-24x 4" fine thread cap screw available at Ace, True Value, and other hardware stores, the Survivor and new style syn stock takes a 5" bolt. Laminated thumbhole stocks take a 2" button head socket bolt, available from H&R or bolt supply houses. http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=72&cm=25&cd=1229  http://www.palmerbolt.com/catalog.asp?prodid=617866&showprevnext=1
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
Someone may have cross-threaded it....might take a proper tap and carefully try to re-do it, or grind your bolt down a little on the end to maybe get it past the first few threads. I'm no machinist so proceed with care.
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:56 AM »
Correct,  3/8 x 24 x 4"...NOT a fine thread 3/8 x 20....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the hex head bolt with an Allen head that way you don't have to deal with the socket binding up at the end of the hole when taking the stock off later?

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »
Wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the hex head bolt with an Allen head that way you don't have to deal with the socket binding up at the end of the hole when taking the stock off later?

Tony

That's only an issue on synthetic stocks, and then only with thick walled sockets, not on wood/lams.  ;)   If a fella puts the socket on the extension with a couple layers of plastic bag over the end of the extension, it makes the socket stay on the extension and prevents the socket from getting stuck on the bolt head after installation, much easier than finding socket head bolts too.  8)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
I used a thin walled deep socket and it still got stuck on my former .44 mag (now on it's way to being a .17 Hornet. 

Finding Allen or socket head screws isn't hard.  One call to Oregon Bolt in Tigard, OR and I can have as many as I want.  I suppose I could order them from the Nutty Company too if I didn't have OR bolt in my driving circle.

Tony

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
I wonder why they never made bolts with 3/8 and 1/4 square drives, wouldnt need a socket.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
I used a thin walled deep socket and it still got stuck on my former .44 mag (now on it's way to being a .17 Hornet. 

Finding Allen or socket head screws isn't hard.  One call to Oregon Bolt in Tigard, OR and I can have as many as I want.  I suppose I could order them from the Nutty Company too if I didn't have OR bolt in my driving circle.

Tony

That's nice, I have Vancouver Bolt here in town to buy from, but it doesn't help the hundreds of members here that don't have a source like that, even Home Depot and Lowes don't carry fine thread 3/8" socket head capscrews, just course thread. Been there done this bolt buying many times before, I've ordered them from VB and shipped them to a lot of members that aren't so fortunate to have local sources.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with the socket sticking in the bolt head in synthetic stocks, wasn't even aware there was a problem until someone posted about it, I've always used the plastic bag trick when reaching into restricted spaces with socket extensions, just a matter of habit since my grandad taught me the the trick over 50yrs ago.  ;) There have been several discussions on it, some use a dedicated cheap extension with a socket permanently attached with epoxy or even welded on. 

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
That's nice, I have Vancouver Bolt here in town to buy from, but it doesn't help the hundreds of members here that don't have a source like that, even Home Depot and Lowes don't carry fine thread 3/8" socket head capscrews, just course thread. Been there done this bolt buying many times before, I've ordered them from VB and shipped them to a lot of members that aren't so fortunate to have local sources.

That's why I mentioned the Nutty company. http://nutty.com/  They have this sort of thing to order on line.  I bought a lot from them before I found a local source. 

I don't think I had too much trouble when the socket stuck on me, I loosened it back up and switched to a deep-wall.  I had to lift it slightly so it didn't hit bottom but it worked.  I suppose I just like stainless socket head screws as I put them all over my bike and the next time I'm over at Oregon Bolt, I'll pick up a half dozen for Handi stock bolts.

Tony

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
The problem with buying online is shipping will cost many times the cost of the item, I bought em locally in bulk and sold em for cost plus actual shipping cost, not the exagerated shipping costs that most online retailers charge.  Vancouver Bolt announced they were  upgrading their site for online sales, but still haven't, in the mean time they started selling on ebay.  ??? We use to have a Fastenal here in town, they closed shop after a year or so, evertime I checked out something, they'd only sell in quantity, must of been a local policy cuz I see members here posting about buying small quantities regularly, no wonder they closed.  :-\

Tim

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »
I never had a problem with the socket hanging up on the bolt head, my problem was the sides of the socket itself sticking in the shallow space in the Choate stocks...I have sold a couple of synthetic handis with 9/16" socket included......
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 12:29:22 PM »
I never had a problem with the socket hanging up on the bolt head, my problem was the sides of the socket itself sticking in the shallow space in the Choate stocks...I have sold a couple of synthetic handis with 9/16" socket included......

Push the bolt out and the socket will come out with it, then use a thin wall socket or use the tip I shared before to install the bolt so the socket stays on the extension.  ;)

Tim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »
I made my last stock bolt. I went to the local Lowes store and could not find a fine thread 3/8" bolt. I bought a regular hex head 3/8 X 6" bolt. I then cut it off to 4", ground the cut edge off on my bench grinder and put about 3/4" of fine thread on the end of the bolt body. Worked like a charm. I put it in a plastic stock and used a socket with an extension. After tightening the bolt head down, I withdrew the extension and fished out the socket with a heavy wire bent at the end.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.