Author Topic: Walmart Handies  (Read 2698 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
Walmart Handies
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
Just heard today that Walmart will be discontinuing carrying ammunition and guns. Which means no more handi rifles/shotguns from them. Total Bummer.....Guess they are bowing under to the "liberal elite" tree hugging tofu sucking anti-gun people. I suppose that if a Hammer or golf club had been used in these recent tragic events we'd all have to register our hammers and golf clubs. It was a tragedy, a major tragedy- but when a big corpuration like Walmart bows down, how long will it be before other do too. Anyway, I will cease my rant. Just needed to get that off my chest.  >:(
Thomas B.

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
Re: Walmart Handies
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »
ThomasB:
The most recent report I heard was that the administration had asked Wal-Mart to voluntarily suspend sales of "assault rifles" and accessories, not discontinue firearms sales altogether.
regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:57 AM »
They quit selling firearms around here a few years ago, then suddenly they were selling them again due to public pressure to do so, so who knows?
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:19:01 AM »
They're still there, no black guns tho.

Tim

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/SpecialOrderGunCatalog.pdf

http://business.time.com/2013/01/11/walmarts-on-again-off-again-relationship-with-guns/

Walmart doesn’t release specific gun-sales figures, so it’s difficult to determine what share of total U.S. gun sales are made at the country’s largest retailer. But given its broad, national reach, Walmart is likely the single biggest firearms seller in the U.S. And lately business has been good: even before reports that Walmart had sold out of semiautomatic rifles following Sandy Hook, chief merchandising officer Duncan MacNaughton said in October that revenue from gun sales increased 76% in the first half of the most recent fiscal year, while ammunition sales increased 30%.

The other significant gun seller in the U.S. is outdoor retailer Cabela’s. It doesn’t release gun-sales figures either, but hunting equipment in general, which includes firearms, made up 41% of the chain’s sales in 2011, according to Bloomberg News.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2013/01/11/walmarts-on-again-off-again-relationship-with-guns/#ixzz2I3stRd5l
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Gordo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »
If I was a "betting man"...I would bet the farm that WalMart will continue to sell ammo.  Obama might be putting the pressure on WalMart but WalMart didn't become the largest retailer in the world by "caving in"....

I believe that Obama will parade little kids at the gun control measures he will introduce tomorrow with Biden, Schumer, and other anti-gun personnel at his side....

WalMart might not be the largest fan of firearms, but neither do I see them wanting to offend gun owners by p____ing them off and not have them come to their stores for other items.  That's not good business...and I would never set foot in another WalMart store if they "cave in" and discontinue ammo sales.   I was in the local WalMart on the 11th....the female employee had
9's, 45's, 38's, 270's, 223's and when I asked her if she had any 22's...she said HOW MANY DO YOU WANT?   I bought 9 boxes {225 per box of Remingtons} and she had all kinds of ammo...and I left the other boxes for other shooters..

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »
Gordo:
I've been sucking up 12 and 20 gauge shells of all kinds as well as 22 long rifle.  I've probably got enough slugs and buckshot to last a lifetime, and I don't even want to think about how much I've invested in bulk buys of game loads.
regards,
Jeff

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
Well, I just called one of the Walmarts in my area. I talked to a woman there who has been there for years and she said that as far as she know they are still carrying ammunition and guns. The "new memo" that she got says that she can not order herself but has to let the "computer system" do auto-ordering for her. Hmmmmm???? Anyway, the employee at the Walmart in my area (we have two here) said that they were discontinuing carrying weapons and ammo. So, now I'm really confused. I guess we'll see what happens. Time will tell. At least my local BI-mart still carries everything and at alot cheaper prices too.
Thomas B.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
      The 2 Walmarts here haven't sold guns in a few years. They did have ammo. Last time i was in there the ammo shelves were gone. Not empty but completly removed.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »
The guy at the gun counter in McMinnville (really just ammo now) told me that Wallmarts in Oregon that still have their FFL are going to start carrying guns again.  The Woodburn store had the biggest gun counter I've seen at a Wallmart so I'll have to ask there the next time I'm in the area.

Tony

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »
My closest Wal-Mart gave me the same answer as ThomasB.  There will be no more special orders AT THIS TIME.  I figure that means that once all the "black guns" are out of the system, it'll be business as usual.

regards,
Jeff

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »
Talked to  the sporting goods manager today at the Walmart in my area. He said that they will cease carrying ammo. He told me that because they were a fairly new store (year old) and didn't have all thier paperwork done to carry both guns and ammunition that they were told by corp. that when what they had was gone, they were done with ammunition. They never carried guns due to not having  thier FFL paperwork done yet. The other Walmart in my area (really old store) I guess will be continuing to carry both guns and ammo. But, they can't order anything out of thier "catalog" for customers if they are out of stock on that item. They have to wait for thier computer system to "auto-order" the items. So, I guess thier new policy is based on some stores and not others. Sort of a "grandfather clause" for the older stores with thier FFL.
Thomas B.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
I guess its about time to talk to the store manager, not just the dept. mgr., and tell 'em you wont be shopping there anymore unless they act like they want your business. If youve been using a card for purchases they can look up your purchase history to see how much youve been spending too, and not just in the 'sporting goods dept.'
Be nice, but to the point, and ask them to pass it on to 'corporate headquarters'. Remember, be nice, they dont want a jerk customer any more than you would want a jerk manager.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »
Out of curiousity, I went to Walmart yesterday to see for myself what they have.  They had lots of rifles and shotguns (no AR's)  Ammo shelves were nearly empty. Had a few 40 S&W ($45) and .380....No 22lr 223 308 ..Only rifle ammo they had was 30-30  30-06  25-06  243 270 and surprisingly a few boxes of 7.62x39. Wasn't anyone to talk to in that dept at 4:30 AM about quitting selling gunstuff
Had reasonable prices on Savage Axis .308 and .270=$277.00
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 03:07:39 AM »
If they can make a buck, they WILL sell it. 26-t

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »
"if they can make a buck..."; sort of.......a store HAS to make over 30% margin on overall sales to even stay in business. A sale (below margin) on something to get ya in the store means something else is higher, but you are in.......now to get you to buy more than just the sale item(s). Extra staffing. licensing, regulation compliance, etc. for a given department costs 'em more. At some point they can determine it just isnt worth it.
This is why I say, for a place like Walmart, if you can tell the Big Boss that you spent, say, $4000 there last year and most of it was somewhere other than 'Sporting Goods', but a big reason you even came in was because 'Sporting Goods' was there, and the same for a bunch of your friends in the community, it might make an impression.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »
I had to make a trip to town today to go to Costco and on the way I stopped in at another Bi Mart in Tigard.  This one is in a bigger market and they had 3 H&R's on the shelf, a 20 & 12 gauge Pardner and .243 Ultra hunter rifle.  I was in luck to talk to the head of the sporting goods department and he said he can order any H&R in the catalog.  So for at least in Washington county Oregon, Handi and Pardners are available.  On the other Hand, Al's gun shop is very competitively priced on all things H&R.

The 20 gauge was priced at $126.99.  I'm still broke from buying my last Handi rifle or I would have walked out with it today.  I'm thinking later next month or March at the latest...

BTW, I bought my first Handi there in 2002...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
Can you put small money down (lay-a-way) to lock in on that one before the price increase on restocking? It would be a kick in the teeth to go in a month from now and see they are $149.95.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »
That's not a bad idea.  I have to go to town in a few days, if I have enough cash on hand, I'll ask if they do layaway.

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »
Well you were right.  I went back today and it was gone and when they get back in stock they'll be $169.95...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 04:19:56 AM »
OUCH
Have to watch for the sales......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
I'll be able to afford one better come spring anyway.  I'm in the motorcycle business and things are a bit slow right now anyway.  Also the sporting goods manager at this store is an old friend of mine and I'm sure I can talk her into letting me know when the next sale is going to happen...  Too bad she isn't single but that's too off topic for here...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
Too bad she isn't single but that's too off topic for here...

Tony

Not off topic if she likes Handis!!!  ;D

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
I don't think so but you never know...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »
Ya catch more flies with honey than ya do with vinegar....... ;)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline chamois1

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
The Wal Mart here in Ky where I live is still taking orders and getting guns and ammo every day.   They have received and sold several Black guns just this week. I ordered and received a 10 Ga H&R Turkey Gun two weeks ago.  I also ordered another H&R rifle yesterday. I was told they have herd nothing about guns and ammo being discontinued.

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
Stopped by the Wal-Mart here in Midland, Tx and a 28 Ga. ordered through them is $170. Guess prices are going up everywhere.
wtxbadger

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
The Wally World in Martin, TN must have just got stocked up on guns.  They have a whole rack full,  but very little ammo.  They now have a sign up that says they are limiting ammo sales to three per customer so they can better serve all customers.  I haven't checked any of the other local Wal-Mart's.

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
Per a good friend of mine.  The local Wal Mart had an AR15 come through their system and was sold on Saturday.  If its in their warehouse it will make its way to a store until their gone...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
Unless it's changed, Walmart doesn't warehouse firearms, they're ordered from their distributor Sports South, see WALMART FIREARMS SPECIAL ORDER LIST AND INSTRUCTIONS in the FAQs for their catalog. You can also check inventory on SS' website.

Tim

http://www.internetguncatalog.com/Default.aspx?tabid=179

Offline FPH

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
Wal Mart around here has restocked on rifles (not ARs) but not ammo.