Author Topic: how to fight the panic laws?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
how to fight the panic laws?
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:33 PM »
Just read the news that NY is very close to adopting a bunch of silly gun laws and maybe a couple that deserve consideration.

But I just though. If all of us who ran out and spent a wad of $$ on guns, powder etc had put half of that cash towards NRA or your other favorite gun advocate, would we have enough to fund some effective counter measures?

Our opposition to the anti gun panic seems relatively feeble.

I have to admit I feel the initial NRA response was poor and probably whipped the flames higher.

How to get to something rational?  The opportunistic antis are cashing in as fast as they can.

I'm bummed.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: how to fight the panic laws?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:39:01 AM »
there are enough restrictive
gun laws already on the books.
enforcement is needed, not new laws.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »
I have been putting money into the NRA for the last 4.5 years and doing all the writing and calling. It these NY gun laws pass I am out of the NRA.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:39:17 AM »
That comment is like saying that because the other party won I am not going to vote again :(   What would our gun rights look like without a lobby like the NRA?

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline johnpaulh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:34:26 AM »
I dropped my NRA membership of over 20 years back when the NRA sat on its hands while the Hughes Amendment was passed.  I still send my letters to my elected officials, and have the same expectation of a response as before, just have a few extra $ in my pocket now.

I really want to see how the NRA steps up to Andrew Cuomo's latest move.  If they stand up to the powerful Governor of New York I may re-up my membership.  I believe in second chances.

I have been putting money into the NRA for the last 4.5 years and doing all the writing and calling. It these NY gun laws pass I am out of the NRA.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
I have never found them to do much in NY. We allready had a laws much like the 94 gun ban and they did nothing when that was put into effect. and I have not heard or read 1 add or tv. comercal backed by them in the interest of pro gun. I have backed the NRA  to the tune of at least $1000.00 a year, but it seems the only people they send info to are NRA members begging for money, I don't need the info I allready know the problem with the gun grab people. They need to start informing the uninformed. I also vote, write and call a lot of my state and Federal representive.
Johnp: I am waiting to see if they do anything also. I have been an NRA Member for 40, This may be my last year.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »
Well I sent some $ to NRA a week after Sandy 'cause I know they'll need a war chest.  I do wish they could have some fresher leadership with maybe some new approaches.  I watched that Shapiro guy really give Piers Morgan a tough run. That young man is very quick mentally.  NRA needs a few fresh sharp guys. 
NRA is the biggest group with the most widespread organization so I'll hang with them.  But I'll support other groups that can be effective too.  Just wish I had more funds to share. It will take organization and a thoughtful patient approach.

The hysterical NY laws are troubling.  Way overboard.
One law I saw that really really troubles me is that requirement to report a stolen gun.  Heck when I was just out of college I bought a pair of skis. 2wks later I traveled for close to 3 months.  My folks house was robbed and my skis gone.  My parents didn't know my skis were gone until I came home. Same issue could be common for gun owners.  Especially if these stupid newspapers continue printing addresses etc.

It sure doesn't look good.  I dread Wednesday.

Maybe O enjoys this as it distracts us from the economic mess we are in.

Have to dig in the wallet and send a little more.  Hope the NRA ads work.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:39 AM »
Those that drop the support of the NRA or never joined are getting what they deserve, just like those who sat on the fence during the last election or put their vote to third party. What did you think was going to happen, obama has nothing to loose, NY/ NE has always been a lost cause. It's the people who are voted in and those that put them there is who is to blame, not the NRA. NRA can only try and stop the bleeding, can't stop the cut.

My guess is that people are just cheap and don't want to put out the $25/yr to protect the "rights" that they have come to believe will always be there. It's not like there haven't been warning signs...

How can you fight? You should have been fighting all along, not after the ship sailed.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:32 AM »
That comment is like saying that because the other party won I am not going to vote again :(   What would our gun rights look like without a lobby like the NRA?

Bulletstuffer
exactly.  I've been a lifer since my wife bought it for me in 76.  a few times I've sent a few $s to the institute for legislative action.  If enough people joined, congress would be terrified of us.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
I've had a life membership since the 80's but try to support ILA and other parts with annual contributions.

I am concerned with this first ad they put out. OK O's kids have armed guards and it seems a bit hypocritical but that won't work with a lot of people.

They need to get smarter.

We need to reach the middle of the road Americans who don't hunt or shoot much.  I think the discussion has to be more intelligent to appeal to them.

Just wish I had an inspired suggestion on how to do that........
NRA Life

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
don't we all wish we knew. . .

i'm afraid we've gone too far too long
to convince some folks.
as long as the television works and the
toilet flushes and gasoline can be purchased
at any price to allow the car to get to the
beer store and back, a very large number
of folks  just don't care.

what a damned shame it is too. . . . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
the Romans referred to it as Bread and Circuses.  Keep the peasants fed and amused and you can do anything
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson