Author Topic: Fitting new Barrel to Handi Rifle  (Read 600 times)

Offline Hunterbobb

• Trade Count: (0)
Fitting new Barrel to Handi Rifle
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
I got a 20 gauge shotgun barrel for a handi rifle. It does not lock up. I heard it was easy to fit a barrel to the receiver and the information could be found here ,but there is so much info here I can't find the instructions. Can some one tell me how to fit the shotgun barrel to the receiver.
And please don't say send it to H&R cause they won't fit it unless I buy the barrel from them.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
Re: Fitting new Barrel to Handi Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »
H&R will fit second hand barrels to your frame.

What specifically is the problem with it?? Does it not close all the way or not lock up or ???
Let us know and maybe we can help... fitting is usually fairly simple.

Spanky

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:23:26 AM »
I fit my first barrel last week and I am very happy with how it turned out. I had a 12 gauge barrel I cut to 18 1/2" inches laying around and an SB1 frame I picked up cheap. Just for fun I tried the barrel and it didn't come close to fitting. I read everything I could find on the subject and gave it a try.
The barrel would only close about halfway so I worked on the hinge area first. I started with a drill bit wrapped with sandpaper but that was slow going so I used a round file and then when I got it close switched back to the drill bit. Eventually it would close but not latch so I worked on the shelf until it would. The whole process took about 45 minutes.
Go slow, take your time, check for fit often. When you think you've got it close put the forend on and try it, on mine that seemed to pull the barrel forward a little and that affected the fit. Better to leave it a little tight and let it wear in than have a loose, sloppy fit.
You can do it! Good luck.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.