Author Topic: Went shooting today.  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Bikenut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Went shooting today.
« on: February 15, 2004, 10:50:06 AM »
I couldn't take it anymore!!!!! Sure I get to shoot on the indoor range every other Monday night.... but it has been way too cold to use the outdoor range for a very, very, long... did I say "very long"? ... time. I sat in my living room most of the day looking at that stupid TV... and cruising the forum (which was fun but there is still only so much to see here), stopped in online to AuctionArms to see what was up there....

Then it was back to the living room and those 4 walls loomed ever closer........ and I thought... gee... it's been a while since I fired my new Marlin .410 shotgun... and a little bit of draw and fire practice with my carry weapon would be nice.... so....

I quick loaded up (dressed in street clothes/jacket like a dolt) and took off for the range.

HA! 21 rounds through the 9mm and 9 shells through the .410 later I'm huddled in my pickup's cab with the heater on full... teeth chattering and knees knocking..... and I gave up and come home....

Turned on the weather channel.... Holy Moly!!! It is a whole 13 degrees!

And, guess what? Even though it was too cold to stay very long and I froze my poor old butt........... I came home with my spirit refreshed.

Dang, 21 9mm rounds to paper target's center of mass at 7 yards and a whole bunch of little .410 #6 shot holes in paper direct to point of aim at 25 yards sure made me feel better!

Even so............... gee...... when does spring get here? :(
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline powderman

Went shooting today.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 11:25:01 AM »
My buddy and I shot yesterday. The temp was in the 40s, my wife wanted chicken on the grill, and I wanted to shoot. I got out the 22 pistols. We burned up 100 + rounds with the Ruger sgl six and my Taurus dbl action. After we ate that old dead chicken I brought out the Ruger MK 11 competition target model. After another 100 rds it was time to quit, sun was going down and my ears got cold. That MK 11 is just about the best investment I ever made. The Taurus will out shoot the sgl six any day. I've never been able to hit with it, my buddy couldn't either. I shot 150 rds or so earlier this week with theTaurus practicing my dbl action shooting, man, was I out of practice. I'm thinking about trading in that sgl six, not sure what for yet. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline jh45gun

Went shooting today.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 12:31:06 PM »
Powderman you reinforce my veiws on Ruger single actions they make 2 kinds those that shoot and those that don't  :x  :x  :x I have had both and when you do get a shooter they are great pistols but when you do not they are a heartache and a pain in the posterior also. Now I know the ruger fans may disagree with my but I am not badmouthing all Ruger single actions just the ones that should have never left the factory as they need help!! I think the biggest problem is the forcing cone or maybe they just are not completly timed right but they do not shoot as good as they should. When they do they are a joy to own though. Yea I would trade it off. The last Single six I had was so bad I thought it was me as the eyes are getting older. I traded off a gun last year for a Chinese Walther copy of the olympic gun ( Walther)  they used in 36 to win the gold medal. This Chinese gun is very well made and I can shoot fantastic with it with the opwn sights provided which are not as large as the ruger sights are. It restored my faith in that I can still shoot a handgun with open sights something the ruger took away from me. My brother had the same issue with a 357 Blackhawk it does not shoot anywhere close to what he can do with the S&W pistols his son has.  Some Ruger single actions just are not up to par like they should be. I also agree with you that the Mark II's are good guns along with the Mark 1's  IF it was me I would trade it off and get something you can shoot with or if you like it send it back to Ruger and tell them to fix it as it does not shoot. Then if you get it back and it still does not shoot dump it. Either way I would not put up with it as I went through that already with a 22 and a 44 SA from Ruger. In fairness I had one each earlier that I should have kept as they shot well. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Went shooting today.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 03:20:21 PM »
Quote from: Bikenut
it's been a while since I fired my new Marlin .410 shotgun... (
Dali Llama say he curious if Bikenut still liking .410 lever action scattergun?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Went shooting today.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 04:46:26 PM »
Cold or not, at least you got out to shoot. :grin:

Offline stork

• Avid Poster
went shooting today
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 06:51:45 PM »
I know what you mean about the cold weather.  In western wisconsin it hasn't been above freezin in about a month.  If it was warmer I might go let off some 06 or 38 special.  Hope is near though it is supposed to get above freezin within in a week.  thats only if that dumb weather man is right which he very rarely is.

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 03:49:35 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

I love this little shotgun Dali. Granted, it would be nicer if it were chambered for 3" shells instead of just the 2½. First shotgun I've seen that comes from factory with fiber optic rifle sights... and now that I've adjusted them correctly (one would think that by now I'd have figured out how to set open sights? :shock: ) it shoots to POA at 25 yards.

I can't wait to try this purty gun out come warm weather and the first trap shoot of the season. I have no doubt the gun can hit those clay birds... but there is serious doubt if I can!  :grin:

The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 08:37:05 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

I love this little shotgun Dali. Granted, it would be nicer if it were chambered for 3" shells instead of just the 2½. First shotgun I've seen that comes from factory with fiber optic rifle sights... and now that I've adjusted them correctly (one would think that by now I'd have figured out how to set open sights? :shock: ) it shoots to POA at 25 yards.

Dali Llama say he appreciate information.  Dali say it do sound like neat little scattergun. :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk