Author Topic: 30.06 handi  (Read 594 times)

Offline brown-trout

• Trade Count: (0)
30.06 handi
« on: February 15, 2004, 11:17:31 AM »
got a 223 handi synthetic two weeks ago...gonna get a 25-06 or 30-06.....
===================================
any thoughts on 25-06??
===================================
a 30-06 fed HE load in 180 grains has 1800 ft/lbs at 300 yards...same as
30-30 170 gr at the muzzle...anything walking in N. america on hooves that can take a well placed 30-30 muzzle PLACED SQUARELY  AGAINST THE FUR AND FIRED??
i dont think so......takes away alot of the argument behind the latest super ultra short high velocity whiz bang craze!!!!!
b-t
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 11:31:16 AM »
Load from 110-220 grs,does it all
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
30.06 handi
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 11:36:53 AM »
:D well it kinda depends what you are going to hunt with it. a 25-06 is great up to deer sized game, some people have used them on bigger stuff like elk, but if you plan on elk, bear, moose, you know the bigger stuff. i would go with the 30-06. i would say as put by an old H&R BOARD member. "30-06  good for game from moose to squirrel"  FYI i have a NEF 30-06, and it loves 180gr remington "green box" ammo. a friend of mine has a 25-06, and what a great caliber, but with the black bear, and a hope for a moose permit some year soon :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  i will take the 30-06 hands down. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
30-06 Handi
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 12:31:55 PM »
VarmintController...
I didn't realize you had a 30-06, most of your posts I've seen related to the .223. I would appreciate any info you could post on it concerning accuracy, brand of ammo, etc.
I was going to order a .308 but can't get it from Wallyworld, so my next choice was the 30-06.
I guess you can never have enough firepower :biggun:  :grin:
Do you know if the Handis now come with the fore end like my 10ga or are they still curved. Hope its straight because I plan on painting the stocks to match my 10ga.   How long is your barrel and overall length of gun, and can you or any one else post pictures of their 30-06?
Man that's alot of questions huh? :lol:
Thanks in advance...
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
30.06 handi
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 01:37:39 PM »
10ga<--------  :D  :D  :D i dont own a 223 anymore, and have not for a while, but i have a 243 that i use a v-max in 58gr from hornady. wow what a great varmint bullet. but as for my 30-06, it was the first NEF rifle i ever got. and i was not looking for one then, but i got it in a trade :)  :)  it has lam stocks like what was on the comp models they used to make. i had the barrel cut down to 18.5 inches, yes i made it a carbine :-D :-D  :-D but i did not effect the way it shots at all. i still get great groups with it. it has a 3-9x40 swift on it right now for a scope, and i got to say this gun is why i fell in love with the NEF guns. and it loves the cheap old "green box" ammo. the best part is it seems to like about any bullets i try, and it does not let deer run off on me either, and yes it whomps them black bear very well too :bird:  :biggun:  got to say i great gun.  if i can get my dig. camera to work i will try to put up a pick tonight. i got a bad cord on it, and i have not run down and bought a new one yet :oops:  :oops: and yes they are really "good for all game from moose to squirrel"
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!