Author Topic: BC fights back  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Grumpybear

• Trade Count: (0)
BC fights back
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
I got the brand new BC in yesterday and test fired a round in it. 350 gr RN min load of varget.  wooosh went the air outa my lungs! Either I'm getn older or I just forgot how hard a big bore on steel hits. I'm not even gona try the 500 gr postells until the MRR and lace on recoil pad gets here.

I do have a question for you more experanced shooters of the BC.
When you add the lace on pad will it shap itself to the curve of that stell but plate or should I add some kinda filler in the curve?
Also, I'm looking at maybe a better peep sight for it, I'd like a SASS complient sight just in case I try that out and I'd like it to be field adjustable for elevation. With my eyes I'm not sure how well I'll do guessing the hold over and maybe a easy run up for diferant shoots would do better.

I looked at the skinners but you have to loosen a set screw and spin it up or down. Thats not what I'm looking for. Any ideas on what has worked for you? I did look in the facts but don't remember them talking about how the adjust, just want to stay away from set screws.

I did shoot this thunder cannon again today but I loaded up some 300 gr RN with 14 grs of trail boss, ooooo that was mush nicer. :D

Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: BC fights back
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
Yep, if you're not careful, she'll set you back about a hat and a half;D

Down the road, try the Ranch Dog 350 gn gas checked. They work real well as cast and are great with Trailboss.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »
Around 16 grains (if I remember right) of unique behind a 500 grain soft lee bullet is a hoot to shoot and easy on the pocket book.  It's also pretty accurate out to 100 yards.  26ish grains of 2400 behind the same bullet will get your attention a little more but still isn't too bad and would take out just about anything North America has to offer.  My most accurate load so far has been with 3031 but I got tired of a day at the range feeling more like a prize fight than a hobby.  I made my own recoil pad with cartridge loops on it so I have a 1/3 pound of cartridges plus all the #7 shot that will fit loosely in the butt stock bolt hole.  This helps but if you get too crazy it still smacks you like a dead blow hammer.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
yep the the lace on pad works great. trail boss loads i can shoot for hours good stuff with 405 lee bullets. ;)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »
FWIW, you can safely load up to the bullet base with Trail Boss (100% load density is OK according to Hodgdon) and get a lot more beans out of it without abuse to you or rifle.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jdl41389

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »
I put alimbsaver slip on on my bc .It helped alot even my 120# daughter in law likes to shoot it now she has shot it both ways with and without the slip on pad and says she wont ever shoot it without again says with recoil pad it just kind of pushes hard without pad it hurts like you know what.not real pretty though.

jdl

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »
Now y'all know that Quigley didn't have one of those on HIS gun.  He He! ;D

Seriously, there is probably a big difference between the load you're using and what someone from 1800's was using with a steel buttplate.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
Some time back a friend with a new 45-70 (repro Roller I think, not a light rifle) said that if he only had smokeless loads, like he started out with, to shoot he would give it up. Then he made  BP loads have that stereotypical 'shove' of recoil vs the smokeless 'sharp' recoil and all was good. IME the full TB loads are much more like the BP loads in felt recoil and also similar in chono'ed velo.

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Plenty Coups

• Plenty Coups Archery
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
I shoot 350 grain Speer with IMR 4198 at 2100 fps out of my BC. I didn't think it was too bad with my hunting coat on even from the bench. HOWEVER! Shooting it with a T-shirt was a different dimension. I had to go on blood thinners and so went the route of MRR and the lace on pad. Shooting with a T-shirt is doable now but about a box of shells is enough before flinching starts. With my hunting jacket 2 boxes (which is plenty from any large game hunting caliber). The MRR and pad really tame it to a hard push rather than the brutal jolt my 338 Win Mag had. Cowboy loads are the way to go for target shooting.
"Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy while finding a rock"- Will Rogers

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
At the shooting bench, I just put something under my shirt at my shoulder, like another shirt folded up.  In the woods, I don't even feel the recoil.  After trying many different handloads, I settled on factory Remington 405 grain jsp. 
Regarding sights, I tried what comes on it, and Williams expensive sight with the target knobs.  I discovered that a front sight with a hood is great at the range, but in the woods, it's difficult to see.  The sights I have now and will never remove is a set from Skinner.  The front sight is a simple brass blade that can be filed to any height, making it unneccesary to adjust the rear for height.  And that set shows up great during any lighting situation.   

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »
The BC gets to be alot of fun when you shoot it 200 or 300 yds. I shoot 405 rem. bullet reloads with the target sight . The O front sight works best for me when shooting targets. The bullet path is like throwing a football. That's what makes it fun.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
I just saw this post guys and I will mention my all time favorite 45/70 easy shooting and very accurate load. 28 grains of 2400 behind a Hornady 350 grain RN or FP half jacket. I think IIRC Hornady calls that bullet thier RNFP(?)...Try it you will like it, easy shooting, clover leafs at 100 yards if you do your part. There is not a whitetail that will go anywhere if you hit your mark with it (I like neck shots)....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »
The best recoil pad I have found for the heavy loads is my son in law, I let him have the fun! :o
 However 405's and 3031 (small dose) are fun accurate loads.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline jparedes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
BC fights back
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:09 AM »
I did install the Mercury Recoil Reducer on my 45-70.  And while shooting from a bench, I add a Limbsaver boot.  (While hunting, I take the Limbsaver off). Using this combination, I can shoot a box of reloads(50), and at the end of the session, I'm still OK but with a very faint sore on my shoulder.  The apparent recoil is less than the one I get from my Mauser action 30-06.
I've done 100% Trail Boss on 300gr and also 350 gr bullets and the felt recoil is extremely mild.
Right now, I'm using 33.5 gr of RL7 on a  Montana Bullets 350 gr bullet and making sub-MOA groups.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 02:23:12 AM »
I've got a few of those "Hey buddy.  Wanna try a shot with this?" loads ;) ;)   They ain't all confined to the .45-70.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 03:55:09 AM »
I got a buddy who calls his standard 45-70 handi the "Party Starter!"  ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member