Author Topic: .22Hornet Accuracy  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
.22Hornet Accuracy
« on: February 15, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a Hornet.  Then I hear they are finicky, and I don't reload.  Who has one that doesn't reload and how's it shoot?  Or am I better off getting a .223?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 04:30:45 AM »
YES!!!, Get the .223, I have one, MUCH cheaper to shoot, MUCH easier to get ammo, ammo available everywhere!! more versitility....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
22 Hornet
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 08:45:59 AM »
hi -

if you don't reload, you won't want the Hornet. ammo for the 223 is cheap and easy to find.

try the hornet after you start reloading, for plinking, i use a lyman 225415 cast bullit and about 4 gr unique. it's fun to shoot.
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Hornet accuracy
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 09:09:21 AM »
Mr. Miller, I recently picked up a Hornet and will share my experience. Ammo is expensive as has been stated above. 28.00 per 50 at the local Gander Mountain. I DO plan on reloading this little beast though. It will be my 1st bottleneck cartridge to reload for.
Accuracy was great out of the box with factory ammo. The target below was shot at 40 yards (too lazy to dig the target stand out of the snow) temp was 25 degrees with no wind. This was shot with factory iron sights. I hope this info is of help to you, good luck in your choice.

Nixter

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
Re: .22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:24:10 AM »
Quote from: Miller
I'm thinking of getting a Hornet.  Then I hear they are finicky, and I don't reload.  Who has one that doesn't reload and how's it shoot?  Or am I better off getting a .223?

Anything can be finicky.  Yes if you do not reload the 223 would be a better choice.  If you plan on starting to reload the hornet is a great mid range, low report and low recoil round.  When I read the reloading data in my Hornady reloading manual they state that the 22 hornet shot from the contender was the most accurate round in their testing. :wink:
I must be crazy.

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
.22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 01:06:45 PM »
GET THE 223!!!!!!! i tried a hornet, and i dont reload, and i was getting 4 inch groups at 100 yrds.  now maybe i just got a bad one, but i can tell you the 223 ammo is cheap, and people seem to love them ion the handi. i loved the remington model 7 i had in 223, and it was not  painful to spend a day at th range with it. tons of cheaper ammo that shoots great.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
.22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »
:D I have both  the hornet and 223  I play with the 223 more because of the cost but really like the hornet. Will have to get into reloading one of these days. :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
.22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 05:12:32 PM »
Here is some info I received once from a discussion on 22Hornet.  I don't know how to set up a link, but just cut and paste this and check it out.

It has plenty of info.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~bkhornet/22hornet.htm

Good luck in your decision.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 02:57:38 AM »
The Hornet is a great little round. I happen to have an exceptional barrel for my handi. It shoots very small groups at 50 yards with factory ammo. I got it so the boys would have something fun to shoot. I plan on getting one of those Lee handloaders (16.95) to reload for it. Get a Hornet just to have one. It may not be available much longer the way H&R are going. Remember they are going with high power rounds. With the 204 Ruger, 22-250, and they have the 223 Rem I would guess they will not see any reason to keep it. Just my 2 cents

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline cdbeaver

.22Hornet Accuracy
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 09:25:42 AM »
My NEF Hornet has never fired a factory round. Reloading is the only trip to make with the Hornet.

New brass is about $12.00 a hundred.
Hornady V-Max 35-40-grain bullets are about $9.95 and work great.
Primers are less than $15.00 a thousand, and you can load nearly 700 cases with a pound of powder.

My Hornet Handi Rifle is equipped with a Leupold 4x scope and keeps five-shot groups at an inch or less with windless conditions. I have had the trigger refined during a trip back to the factory, and that helps a bunch.