Author Topic: Failure as a Well Regulated Militia  (Read 930 times)

Offline two-blocked

• Trade Count: (0)
Failure as a Well Regulated Militia
« on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:05 AM »
The term "regulated" means "disciplined" or "trained".In Heller, the U.S. Supreme Court stated that " the adjective 'well-regulated' implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training.

Anyone else think that as gun owners the current situation is somewhat our fault for not doing everything we could have to "discipline and train" our own ranks?

How many kooks with guns have you seen at the range and your reaction is to just pack up and leave the range? (I plead guilty to that) Ever get into a "discussion" with hunters on 4-wheelers in a no vehicle area. (I have) Was there someone out there who noticed that the Aurora shooter was stockpiling weapons? Did anyone suggest to Lanza's mom that she may want to keep her guns locked up? Did anyone at the gunshows this weekend think to double check weapons?

Does individual freedom trump our responsibility to look out for each other?

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Failure as a Well Regulated Militia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
Interesting thought.

The lack of a need for that "well regulated"or any militia for that matter has allowed those muscles to atrophy. I suppose that does nothing to forgive the laziness does it?

Something along the lines of the Israeli or Swiss people's requirement of military service? Or just a bit of weapons and tactics familiarity training for those willing to volunteer? More than hunter safety to be sure, but nothing approaching Army Basic Training.

I'll be quite honest the former would be expensive and very difficult to administer, but the rewards to society in general would be grand. The latter would of course be much easier to implement, and offer much of the same rewards though on a lesser scale.

I heartily endorse my plan. All in favor explain it to me.  ;D  Those opposed just hush up and listen for a bit.  ;)
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:24:34 AM »
Actually, having some firearms training in high school wouldn't be a bad idea.  When my son was working for a home health care outfit, while cleaning out the house after the owner had been moved to a care facility, he came upon a loaded handgun.  He knew how to unload and make it safe.  His boss was impressed.  Could provide great benefits down the road.
Gene

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:25:59 AM »
Absolute failure! Even among trained professionals. National guard was conducting an exercise in a National,Forest some years back. A squad stopped at a friends house to ask directions.The result was a "blue" squad being delivered to a,"red" HQ at muzzle of a loaded 12 ga. shot gun! Never figured the indigenous folks might not want them around. Fortunately the Guardsmen didn't resist. Ned Lally was not one to provoke!
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
Never discount the local populace nor assume they are friendly.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »
With hussein in power I would be very nervous if any uniforms came to my house unannounced. For the first time, I fear my own govt. POWDERMAN.  :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »
So, you hide every day when the mailman comes?

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
There are literally millions of trained veterans, most I would assume are gun clutchers (me too).  Millions upon millions have taken Hunter Safety and/or CCW Firearms Training.  For some, that is the most "training" they will ever get.  For the rest, the day to day and week to week use of hunting weapons, shooting ranges, discussion threads, reloading, etc., is in itself "training" or at the least, familiarization, which should go a LONG way to prevent such STUPID activities as the Illinois Gun Show 45 ACP Purchaser shooting himself in the hand while loading his new weapon.  Stupid is a Stupid does...so says Forest!

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:42 AM »
So, you hide every day when the mailman comes?

What a stupid thing to say, I considered the source. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline magooch

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
Training is fine and dandy, but I don't want any stinking government putting any more restrictions, or regulations on my rights.  If there is anything that might need some qualification to exercise the rights of our First Amendment, it should be that the news media should have to be objective and truthful.  That is never going to happen.

I don't believe that any of the mindless, senseless mass shootings have, or ever will be stopped by any of the regulations and restrictions placed on our rights by the 20,000, or more gun-control laws.  Crazy people are always going to have a plethora of weapons to choose from to do their dastardly deeds.  Miscreants in prison settings are still able to kill and maim others.  Freedom and rights have to be won over and over and over and the greatest threat to all of our rights was re-installed yesterday. Lord save us all.
Swingem

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
I see this different (what's new ) in that we as citizens are to be armed incase the need arises for a well trained mil. When the need becomes appraent we show up and recieve training or the state provides training as it sees the need. The burden is on the state.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 02:41:28 AM »
I see this different (what's new ) in that we as citizens are to be armed incase the need arises for a well trained mil. When the need becomes appraent we show up and recieve training or the state provides training as it sees the need. The burden is on the state.

Even though the burden is on the state, it would be foolish to count on it. And it would be more effective if all they have to do is train you how to work together. Only today it it looks like they might be teaching city folks everything and it will be city against rural areas/folks. It is a sad place we have come to, is it not?

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 02:53:37 AM »

Even though the burden is on the state, it would be foolish to count on it. And it would be more effective if all they have to do is train you how to work together. Only today it it looks like they might be teaching city folks everything and it will be city against rural areas/folks. It is a sad place we have come to, is it not?

An old thread, but relevant.

If, and when, the government finally collapses, the cities will become even more dangerous, and chaotic than they already are.

When folks get hungry, they'll come calling on the rural folks, and you'll be on your own, just like Texas, Florida, and Arizona are now.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 03:00:56 AM »
An old post, but perhaps even more relevant that ever.  I missed it the first time, and I regret that because it may have been the only time I could agreed with Two-blocked...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 03:08:23 AM »
I invited a friend to a CERT meeting a few years ago, he is from a near-by city. He was shocked to hear thoughts expressed about blowing the bridges on the thru hwy going through our mountain passes to keep city folks from fleeing the troubles expected to develop there and bringing them up here. It is going to be a real kerfuffle when it happens. That we can all agree on.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 09:21:30 AM »
I invited a friend to a CERT meeting a few years ago, he is from a near-by city. He was shocked to hear thoughts expressed about blowing the bridges on the thru hwy going through our mountain passes to keep city folks from fleeing the troubles expected to develop there and bringing them up here. It is going to be a real kerfuffle when it happens. That we can all agree on.

Roger...coming in loud and clear...wouldn't work well here..no really Deeep & wiiide rivers between here and there.

Biutv before they get here, there will be a number of small towns where they7u may find out hiow well coon hunters and varmint hunters can shoot....besides reducing their own numbers...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
yup but for about every gun owner theres a gun hater and if you look at gun owners probably 75 percent of them shoot less than a box of ammo a year and you think those are qualified to teach a 10 year old. Theres good and bad in that. The good is chances are those people that dee are talking about that are going to invade your town are going to be totally inept and unarmed and there only chance is in superior numbers. The bad is they will probably have the support of a liberal government or at least one without balls and totaly corrupt.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 01:13:48 PM »
The good is chances are those people that dee are talking about that are going to invade your town are going to be totally inept and unarmed and there only chance is in superior numbers.

In truth, they'll likely be the bottom of the barrel, the most ruthless, and the most desperate. It likely wouldn't be like shooting mindless zombies.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 10:57:38 PM »
what i see at least at the beginning is the ruthless scumbag type staying in the citys and praying on the week. The scared and week and liberal yuppies will head to the woods thinking there going to escape to mayberry. Good luck to them.
The good is chances are those people that dee are talking about that are going to invade your town are going to be totally inept and unarmed and there only chance is in superior numbers.

In truth, they'll likely be the bottom of the barrel, the most ruthless, and the most desperate. It likely wouldn't be like shooting mindless zombies.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 01:21:13 AM »
Sadly..when the said militia does start to train, just as the forefathers instructed in the 2nd amendment, the fake news  paints them as some kind of "internal terrorists" .

That way, the 'gubmint' can act as they did at Ruby Ridge and Waco...and get away clean with it..

Many of us have been shouting the warning ever since...but only half the people have been listening.