Author Topic: Obeservations on new .45-70  (Read 2298 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Obeservations on new .45-70
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
First off I have to say if all the new H&R's are this nice, they've been listening to our complaints and got their sh*t together.  The fit and finish is better than any other Handi I've handled and the trigger is far better.  I'm hopping I didn't get lucky because I want to by one more Handi this year...

I want to put a Lyman target knob rear sight on it and from the looks of the sights, I shouldn't have to change the front sight.  The front sight is 2x as high as the one on my old .44 barrel and the rear sight looked like it sits up as high as a the Lyman peep I want.  Anyone here try the lyman sight with the factory front bade?

Tony

Offline teleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Obeservations on new .45-70
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:36:12 PM »
Not sure if you can fit a Lyman but Skinner makes a nice aperture sight for a Handi
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline Drock15

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »
Just bought my first new handi!  45-70 with synthetic stock, like you said, the fit and finish are awesome.  Great little gun for $269!  Can't wait to knock down my first deer with it.  Thinking about mounting a 2-7x32 on mine, anyone else mounted one?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Lay a straightedge across the top of the sights to see where the peep at low position will need to sit to get you the same -0-.
IIRC, the target knob Williams I had some years ago (ordered from H&R) had a higher low position than the basic model, but on the 38-55 TM I had no open rear to straightedge on. It worked out OK with my tall orig. globe for the target work at 100+ yd. that I used it for, though it would have needed to be a pretty tall gut-hook replacement front for a dovetailed sight (a ramp set up would have been nicer).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »
I'll try that later tonight.  It sure would be nice if I didn't have to mess with the front sight. 

This rifle is a fun shooter for me and I doubt I'll try deer hunting with it.  On the other hand black tail hunting is so difficult, I'm about ready to give it up and focus on salmon fishing at that time of year.

Oregon has a special hunt for first time young hunters.  When my twin grandsons turn 12 and can go, I'll offer one of them the .45-70 with cast loads if they like it.  By that time I'll probably have a .223 super light that other one can use.

Tony

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
 8) Blacktail hunting or Salmon fishing.  Decisions, decisions.  I wish I had problems like that Geezer!  ;D

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
If it was white tail deer hunting the decision would be easy, deer.  Black tail deer are so elusive and nocturnal, it's hardly worth the effort.

I ran a straight edge over the sights and it looks like there is clearance for Lyman peep without changing the front sight.  When I have the cash, I'll order the sight and a bullet mold from Midway.  In the meantime I suppose all I can do is play with my new rifle...

Tony

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:59 AM »
Tony,

Which sight is that from Lyman?  I was not aware that they had one to fit the H&R/NEF.  Or are you thinking of the Williams with target knobs?  If so, I had one on a .308 with a Remington 700 front ramp & sight.  It is an extractor barrel and I found that the peep got in the way of removing the cases with my fat little fingers.

-Kees-

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:30:10 AM »
Here's a thread from the FAQs Peep and Firesights link on the Williams FP-TK-H&R, Bernie has added the gib lock screw to make adjustments without a screwdriver. As WH said the sight hangs over the chamber making manual extraction a bit harder with gloves on, I had no problems at the range tho.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,72579.msg446036.html#msg446036
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »
My mistake, yes I was referring the Williams sight.  For me it's a peep or a scope and I have too many scoped rifles already...

I put a peep on my model 94 Win and it made it like a different rifle.  I went from 6 to 8" groups to 3 to 4" groups.  Now it's well within minute of deer.  I'm hoping a peep will do the same for this rifle.

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
I swung by Bi Mart the other day and pick up some fishing sinkers in preparation for slugging the bore on a few of my rifles and I just got around to doing it.  The .45-70 slugged out to .4565" and I cleaned it prior to slugging and the bore is so shiny that it looks like it was lapped. 

I can hardly wait to get some loads made up and get it out to the range.  I'll be awhile before I can get a peep put on it so I'll have to make do with the standard open rear sight.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:27:51 AM »
Even with a sub-.457 groove dia. if the chamber throat allows you to fit something like a .458 or more bullet in a fully fire-formed case neck you should probably do so for successful cast bullet shooting.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
I was thinking the same, .0005" oversize isn't enough for a tight seal with a lead bullet.  The Lee sizer for the .45-70 is .457 so I will have to go another rout or custom order one.  Either will have to wait as I'm going to be broke for a while.  :(

Tony

Offline dlbarr

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
I just had a buffalo classic 45/70 fitted to my HR, it came w/o sights. I installed the williams FP knob aperture on it and the Lyman 17 globe sight in .494" height. I cannot speak to the factory blade but I can tell you that the globe sight I got was too short - I should have got that sight in .582" height.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
Tony, it is not unusual to not have to size the cast bullets, but use them as cast. You can choose to 'pan-lube' them (if unfamiliar, Google it up) or use the Lee Liquid ALOX to 'tumble lube'. Im known to seat the base ring into the mouth of the fully fire-formed case mouth and smear some TC Bore Butter, or other soft lube on with a finger and seat 'em down. Its slow but effective. Were I you I wouldnt spend the money on a sizer (way too easy to have a drawer full of wrong size sizers) until I KNOW what size the gun really likes.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »
I usually tumble lube in Alox but I'm getting serious about learning to paper patch.  I've been reading the old messages in the paper patching forum and they consistence seems to be to run them through a sizer die after patching.  I'll shoot a few and see how it does without sizing.  It's cheaper that way anyhow...

Tony

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 03:15:31 AM »
i had that sight on my handi, worked great,  took it off and added scope rail with Bushnell red dot using the small cross hair. now that works better for me. My handi luvs the Lee 500 gr bullet with 26  grs of aa5744.
JimP.

Offline Norminator

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:30:55 AM »
I put on a Williams rear sight and an NECG barrel band sight with hood on the front.
Looks good and works great.

Norm from Canuckistan

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
My Williams target peep sight arrived yesterday but I was on my way to the city so I had to put it aside for later.  I got home at a quarter to 11 and by midnight I had it installed.  I was like a kid at Christmas.  It was a small box from Midway but it had all .45-70 goodies in it...

Anyway with the sight all the way down the original rear sight blocks the view to the front sight.  I don't think I'm going to have a problem with the front sight height...

Anyway now I need to get out and shoot it... 

BTW, any one here want the old rear sight?  Free + postage...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
I'll take it, Tony
Thanx  ;D
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline dlbarr

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Tony,
 I had one on a .308 with a Remington 700 front ramp & sight.
-Kees-

Kees - is that Rem 700 front sight a simple bolt-on to the HR barrel? Or did you have to do some mods to it? Trying to decide what front sight to replace the factory sight with on mine....

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
I'll take it, Tony
Thanx  ;D

It's yours...

One more observation.  My .45-70 was made in Gardner, MA.  I guess it was an old stock at that gun shop...

Tony

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
Kees - is that Rem 700 front sight a simple bolt-on to the HR barrel? Or did you have to do some mods to it? Trying to decide what front sight to replace the factory sight with on mine....

I had the barrel D&Ted for the Remington ramp.  This was on a barrel without factory sights.  The factory sights use one screw, the Remington takes two.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
I think that you are on to something... a couple weeks back, my son and I were at the range with a batch of Handi's... I was shooting for awhile when I began to notice something... I gave my son two guns and told him to shoot two groups with each and give me his impressions... After the final shot he said; "the trigger on this one is much nicer." Which is exactly what I had noticed... the group we had were with stock triggers... the two with noticeably better triggers were purchased new in the fall of 2012... just a fluke??? 
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
Here's a pic of the nearly completed project and the shotgun I snagged the stock from...

Later on I will sand the stock down for a smoother transition from steel to wood and refinish it to better show the grain  (this pic doesn't really do justice to the stock.)  Other than that, it's the way I want it...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 05:13:01 AM »
IIRC the muzzleloading supplies have 'grain enhancers' to make that grain 'pop' after you strip it. Maybe check out www.trackofthewolf.com ?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 06:00:33 AM »
IIRC the muzzleloading supplies have 'grain enhancers' to make that grain 'pop' after you strip it. Maybe check out www.trackofthewolf.com ?

That would be Aquafortis Reagent, good for Beech and Birch as well as maple.  ;)

Tim

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx/1025/1/aquafort-2

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/aquafortis.pdf

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
Thanx guy, I just ordered a bottle of that stuff.  I'm going to practice on my .223 since it's staining looks like crap and I don't want to do my .45-70 first.  Actually I expect I'll be shooting my .45-70 more than my other center-fire rifles this year so barring any unforeseen problems,  I'm going to wait for the end of the season to do any more work on it.

About the rear sight, I bought the target knob model so I wouldn't have to carry a screwdriver to adjust it but that's not the case.  The old Redfield peep I have on my Model 94 Winchester, all I need is a dime to adjust it and the peep on my Martini is finger adjust only...  I suppose they just don't make them like they used to...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
Well Tony, that Williams didnt cost near what a Lyman or Redfield does now either! I suspect you mean you need a small screwdriver to unlock the screws to adjust? Do they really need to be locked down?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
Order a knobbed Gib lock screw from Brownell's, there's a link with pic in the FAQs Peep and Firesights thread, then you can lock/unlock the elevation adjustment with no tools.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,72579.msg446036.html#msg446036