Author Topic: Any .250 Savage Fans Out Here in Smallbore Land?  (Read 3765 times)

Offline JPShelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Any .250 Savage Fans Out Here in Smallbore Land?
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
It's been about 21 years since I've shot a .250 Savage but I'm getting back into the caliber via a pristine c.1985 Ruger M-77 RL "Ultralight" topped with a 2 x 7 33mm Leupold Vari-X IIc scope.  It's a delightful rifle / cartirdge combo to shoot.  I'm curious if there are other fans of this round out here and what you shoot it out of.

JP

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Any .250 Savage Fans Out Here in Smallbore Land?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
I'm a fan of the 250 savage.  ;) don't have one at the moment. But I've owned several over the years. My favorite was a custom pre64 model 70 with a varmint weight barrel and re-shaped stock. Boy would that gun shoot Winchester factory silver tips into little groups. But for some unknown reason I let it slip away. Closest I have now is a couple 257 Roberts.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
     At one time i had a Ruger in 250. Used it for varmints. I shot 75 grain Hornadys in it. Don't remember the load now. Killed a car load of woodchucks with that rifle. Got a bug in my butt one day and traded it for a Browning in 257 Roberts. Hated that rifle. Sold it to a friend of mine. Wish i had the 250 Savage back. :(

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:44:58 AM »
You bet!   But the only weapon to fire that cal from is a pre-mil, Sav 99F.     How sweet it is!     As you can see,I don`t own a Ruger.   :)
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
You bet!   But the only weapon to fire that cal from is a pre-mil, Sav 99F.     How sweet it is!     As you can see,I don`t own a Ruger.   :)
I've only ever owned one Savage lever action. It looked like a 99, but pre-dated it.  It was chambered in .25-35, had a nifty takedown feature, and really cool aperture sights.  I was looking for a 99 in .250 at the time and the aforementioned rifle kinda side-tracked me.  The one I had was uber-cool to me - I love the look, the feel, the build quality....  It was a lot of fun to shoot and was more accurate than I ever imagined it could be.  I wound up selling it with the idea that I'd eventually stumble upon what I really wanted in the condition I wanted it in and at a price I was willing to pay.
I'm still looking....
So, I am inclined to agree that the rifle / cartirdge combo is nigh on perfect!
JP

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
I have never had a 250 Savage but like the quarter bores and the performance range that the 250 falls in. I do have a Roberts and a contender barrel in 257 JDJ. I have thought about a 250 in a custom Savage pistol.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
I think the 250 Savage is a super-nifty cartridge!  I have an old Model 99 (serial number from somewhere in the 'Teens, as I recall).  It's just a shooter at this point, but I like it and the cartridge both.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
I'm getting back into the caliber via a pristine c.1985 Ruger M-77 RL "Ultralight"

I had a chance to buy one of those from a guy many years ago and for some reason didn't do it.   :(  Benn kicking myself in the butt ever since.

But, a few year's ago I bought a well used 260 Rem M7 to use as the base for a rifle in that cartridge!  It's next on my list of projects to go to Shaw for a 20 inch barrel!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
I'm getting back into the caliber via a pristine c.1985 Ruger M-77 RL "Ultralight"

I had a chance to buy one of those from a guy many years ago and for some reason didn't do it.   :(  Benn kicking myself in the butt ever since.

But, a few year's ago I bought a well used 260 Rem M7 to use as the base for a rifle in that cartridge!  It's next on my list of projects to go to Shaw for a 20 inch barrel!   ;)
You know, I started this thread as a "love fest" for the .250 Savage, and when Ruger came out with the M-77 Ultralight cambered to it, I thought it was the perfect marriage of rifle and cartridge.
But there wasn't a .260 Remington back in '84 or '85 when I bought this M-77 Ultralight.  If there were, and the M-77 Ultralight was offered in it, I'd have bought a pair of those, instead.  That would be a MORE perfect match, to me, and would certainly have been back then, when I was doing a lot more "adventurous" hunting than I've been doing of late.  I still love the little quarter-bore Savage round, and it's really all the coyote / deer / antelope round I need.  I would think, though, that the .260 would have most of the mild recoil and report and effecient economy that I like in the .250 Savage but cover more big game hunting ground. 
I've never had a .260, but to my way of thinking, that would be about perfection achieved because there isn't ANYTHING that I want to hunt that I couldn't cleanly and quickly render to meat with it.  If I could only have one rifle, it might well be a compact, 20" barreled, short-action turnbolt chambered to .260.
I'm tempted to start a new thread in the medium bore section on the .260 Remington but I think I'll refrain, as I don't have enough space in the gun room for another rifle. :(.  I might get tempted to do something silly like having my ex-IDF M-48 Mauser in 7.62 NATO professionally sporterized and re-barreled with a .260 Remington tube.....
JP

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:56 AM »
ive got a ruger international thats killed a pile of deer and a winchester light weight carbine that my son has used for years. I also had an ultralight like yours but was foolishly talked out of it. they sure are cute little rifles and mine was a shooter!
blue lives matter

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:53:12 AM »
Lloyd, I think you had the identical twin of the one I've got now.  This one is a shooter, too.  It's almost too much fun..  I really dug getting M.O.A. out of the cute litte bugger with Remington factory ammo, but I didn't have much of it.  It shot almost as well with some 28 year old Nosler Partition loads I made up back when I had my first one and my dad was using this one.

I got it figured out that the paltry bit of usable brass I've got isn't nearly enough.  Cabela's finally had some in stock and I ordered two bags of R-P cases.  I hope to pick those up in Rogers, AR sometime next week.  Had 'em shipped to the store becuase I'm cheap and I need to buy fly fishing junk and a couple of flats of 28 gauge shells for my son's new shotgun, so I'm going out there, anyhow......

This might sound silly, but I wouldn't mind finding some .257" 100 gr. Core Lokt component bullets, either.  They shoot good out of the gun and the terminal performance was pretty good, too, from what I recall.

It's a fun cartridge to shoot, that's for sure.  I could shoot that rifle all day long and probably would if I had enough ammo!!!

I wonder how many rounds it takes to wear the bore out on one of these things?   I don't know what the answer is, yet, but I am going to have a ball trying find out...

JP

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »
i think yours is the twin of mine. When i got it i did a loaded up a bunch of differnt loads for it stuck a scope on it and went to the range. I got a bunch of factory corelock ammo from my buddy when i got it. I thought id use it to sight the gun in. Blew me away when it shot 5 shot groups out of that little barrel under an inch. Funny thing is after shooting all those handloads the corelocks still were the accuracy champ of the day. If anyting my buddy who has it now is even more of an avid handloader then i am but after shooting that gun with corelocks he said the same thing. Its about silly to work up a load for that gun. I gave him the remaining 5 boxes of corelocks and he said hes probably set for life with that gun. We were just talking about it yesterday. We were discusing guns we should never have parted with that the other one had now. My two were that ruger and my 624 smith. His was his 696 smith and his 22 hornet ruger. Were about as close as brothers but the only way were getting those ones back is after the funeral.
blue lives matter

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:01:50 AM »
Another fan here. Struggled with the idea of buying the walnut full stocked stainless Ruger for a while, but i have a M70 Featherweight tuned by Hill Rifle Company in 6mm Rem and a Sako 85  with gorgeous wood in 6.5x55. So, i don't have a .250.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »
 I never owned a .250, but considered it through the years. My main idea is that it would be nice to use on close range, Texas whitetail. Through the years I played with two .257 Roberts ( over 30yrs apart!) and the first one was made into my first "Wildcat", the AI. It and the 25.06 I used later were great deer killers. Of course, I had the 25.06 converted to .257 Weatherby (my all time fave .25!) But, for the woods, hill country, that little .250 would be a sweetheart. I could never find much, if any brass or ammo for the .250, and I didn't want to neck up 22-250 brass at the time. I too played with a .260 and after a couple animals with it, I had it converted to 6.5/284  my all time favorite 6.5 and yep, I necked up WW .284 brass for it, ha. I liked how those fast 25s and 6.5s killed compared to the slower ones, especially at longer ranges. However, one of those little Ruger Intl and a 250 loaded with 87gr Hornadys would be a lot of fun to hunt Texas with! I had an old gent in my church a few years back who grew up in WY. He used a Savage 99 and the 250 with the 87gr for everything, including elk! He was a True Believer, ha.  I've never found a nice Savage 99 in 250/3000 I could afford, even when I found one, which is rare out here! Good luck to you Pard!

Offline Sfairchild

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »
I have a encore in 250 savage with 15 inch barrel. It's one my most accurate and favorite barrels for deer and hogs. Recoil is mild.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 03:32:23 AM »
 Do you .250 users have a preferred bullet weight and design you use on deer or hogs for that matter? I think the only 100gr bullet I would use would be the Nosler BT, but the 85-87gr bullet seem like a better choice for deer to me, am I wrong?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
Rev jim, I loaded 100gr corloks in my rifle when I had one in 250. Worked fine on these Sitka black tails we have in southeast Alaska. My load produced 2800 fps out of my gun with the 100 gr bullet.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
Jim you may laugh at this but here goes anyway. Ive shot them with 100 grain bullets of all sorts. Mostly corelocks, bts, sierras and speers. All did well. My sons gun is a winchester with a 1 in 14 twist and does best with 87s and quite a few have been shot with that gun using mostly sierras and speers. I havent used a 250 in a few years but back in the last few years i used mine i ran into something. I went through a divorce and had to sell a bunch of guns to pay off my ex. MY two 2506s and my 257 roberts were amoung the ones that had to go. All i had left in 25 cal guns at the time were two. My sons 250 win and my 250 int. I had a pile of 120s left on the shelf from the bigger 25s and just on a wim decided to work up some loads. The international shot them well, as a matter of fact a load using the  old discontinued 120 solid base nos is still the best load that gun ever shot. It would shoot them into 3/4 of an inch. Velocity ran about 2500fps. Surely not a load that would inspire most rifleman to jump up and down.

I decided that year to try them on deer. I shot 3 deer with them that year and every one of them dropped on the spot. In the following few years that  i used it and later when id bring it to camp for a backup gun and my dad and brother in law and nephews would take it out it allways had that same load. It worked so well the nephews nicknamed that gun thumper. Cool thing to was even if the deer didnt drop there was allways an good exit wound and plenty of blood to track. to this day not one deer was lost to that gun and to be honest some of my nephews arent the greatest shots! I guess even today if i was to take it out again (and may next year) id load the same load. I found 3 boxes of the old solid base bullets it likes a couple years ago and theyve been sitting on the shelf waiting. to me anyway it is a fairly short ranged gun. If im going to be hunting where shots are possible 300 yards i have better guns to use for that purpose. That little international is a short handy little brush gun so ill contiue to load it for that purpose. By the way back in the day i shot a few deer with 117 sierra pro hunters too.
blue lives matter

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
OK for children and women......but....
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »
It's ok for children and women or recoil shy men. Many more powerful rounds out there that shoot flatter and burn more powder......so.......I only have 3 250s at this time.
A Ruger 77R "Liberty", a second Ruger 77R, and a Ruger 77 Mark II in .250 Savage Ackley Improved using a Shilen 24" barrel.
I don't have any other 25s.....  :  ), and....I wish I hadn't sold the Ruger 77UL in .250 savage I bought in 1983 and converted to Ackley Improved. Sold my two 25-06s and one .257 Robt Ack Imp....may have had others but the 250s are what hung around and are still here. The two 77Rs I purchased for my two sons.
Yeah, I like the .250.

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
I also am a 250/3000 fan. My current one is built on a Savage 10 action. The barrel is a 1in10 25/06 Savage take-off.
It shoots 100gr bullets "lights out".I had one built on a heavy barreled Ruger #3 but punched it out to Ackley Improved.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!
Sad Sad x 1 View List

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
I took my M-77 RL in .250 out to the range yesterday.  I shot fifty 100 gr. Remington factory loads through it.  First group measured .603.  I followed that with fifty handloads consisting of a 120 gr. Sierra GameKing HPBT over a full dose of RL-15 -a powder that I don't remember ever using before.  My last group of the day measured .900.
A Ruger M-77 with a pencil-thin barrel and nothing done to it other than mounting a Leupold 2-7X Vari-X IIc to it and sighting it in shouldn't shoot that well, but it does, and I'm not complaining about it one little bit.  It was about 17 degrees when I started shooting, about 25 degrees when I stopped, so my barrel never had much chance to warm up.
I was delighted with the sub-inch result from the 120gr. GameKings because I've got 10 five pound bags of them that came with the rifle when my dad re-gifted it to me last Christmas, and I've got nine unopened boxes of those same bullets, all with the 1950 S. Painter Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA address on them.  The reason for the 50 pounds of bullets in paper sacks is that my parents live just a few miles from Sierra's old factory and my dad used to send me over there with a "shopping list" to buy bullets by the pound when I was a kid.
He also gave me 10 one-thousand count boxes of Federal 210 primers, so aside from powder, and replacing my cases when I wear them out, shooting this .250 of mine is gonna be pretty darn cheap for a while. 
Rev. Jim asked for bullet recommendations......
I only had my M-77RL in .250 for a few years, and mostly shot pigs with it, and a few feral goats.  I did most of that with Remington Core-Lockt 100 grain bullets because the grouped best out of my rifle and proved to be a pretty dang "deadly mushroom" from the .250.  I tried a box of Nosler Partitions, shot some pigs and goats with them, but they were like 2.5" groupers out of my rifle and didn't kill any deader from my .250 Savage than much cheaper Core-Lockts did, so I went back to using them.
My .250 never was my "main thing" like the one I have now was for my dad.  He shot a handload with the 120 gr. Sierra GameKing over a full load of W-W 760.  I was with him when he shot his last deer with that rifle, and by that, I mean we were sitting on the same rock.  When we saw what was one of the biggest mule deer I'd ever seen in that country in the whole of my life, I passed on dad's offer to let me have the first wack at it, because it was farther off than I felt comfortable shooting, and I had a No.1 in .300 Weatherby on me at the time.  He said, "Oh, I don't think it's as far off as that," and there was the popping report of the rifle, followed along a short eternity later by the dull, thumping slap-back echo of the bullet hitting home, and there was the deer staggering in place and falling over....  It weighed over 200 pounds, field dressed and with the skin off.  And I still wouldn't try to shoot it that far with a .300 Weatherby, let alone a "weenie little .250 Savage."
But that 120 gr. GameKing got the job done, and it only took one.
This .250 of mine was a huge confidence booster to my dad during the ten or eleven seasons when he hunted with it almost exclusively.  He put more rounds through this in the off-season than any other gun he ever had.  He felt like he simply couldn't miss with it.  And having had it at the range a dozen times since he re-gifted it to me, I'm gaining the same confidence in it.
I don't shoot it from standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone nearly as well as I shoot my .30-'06 No.1 but I'm closing the gap with every range session. 
The little .250 is just flat out fun to shoot, even if I don't shoot it as well away from a bench as I do my hotrodded Marlin 336 or my No.1.  It makes my .30-30 firing LeveRevolution rounds feel like a magnum by comparison, because the recoil is so non-existant.
Next weekend, I'll be re-aquainting myself with what the little .250 can do to feral hogs.  I'll be using the 120gr. GameKing handload.  I'm pretty confident that if I come home empty handed, it won't be the .250's fault.
JP

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »
 Nothing wrong with heavy for caliber bullets, I started out loading the Hornady 120 HP in that first .257 Roberts Improved. I could seat it way out in that Mod 700 action, the original .257 Roberts chambering had a long throat too. I used IMR 4350 ( better not say how much,ha) and I shot a wad of crows with it; the yellow guts and feathers did fly! I sold that rifle to a friend who shot a bunch of whitetail with it, same load, from any angle and it was deadly. He sold it to another friend who had it for years, shooting the same load, killed deer and hogs. I later traded him back for it, but he had cut the 24" barrel back to 20" or so so as to handle better in deer blinds. It didn't shoot the same, I had it rebarrelled to .25-06 and gave it to a young guy. By then, I was shooting the 117 Sierra BT out of it, and it was a good deer round also. So, at least in 25-06 /.257 AI velocities, the heavies worked swell. I suppose I never thought of the .250 in that light, but it makes sense.

Offline cabledad

• Life Member of the NRA Cable Pioneer
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »
The first big rifle I shot when I was probably 12 years old was a 250 3000. It was a great day when my Uncle brought it too me. I like the rifle so much I bought my son a model 99 in 250 Savage. I always wanted an Encore barrel in 250.

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
Nothing wrong with heavy for caliber bullets..........        ..........I suppose I never thought of the .250 in that light, but it makes sense.
My dad definitely saw the conceptually similar .243 as a "coyote rifle" that you could kill a deer with if it was all you had, whereas the .250 Savage was something he came to view as totally appropriate for all North American big game except large bears.  To him, that extra .014" of bullet diameter and 20 to 25 grains more bullet weight made all the difference in the world.  I reloaded my .250 cases yesterday and while rummaging around through the mass of supplies my dad gave me over Christmas, I found a couple of boxes of 125 grain .257" bullets from the Colorado Bullet Company.  Barnes made the same bullet back in the early 90s.  My curiosity was piqued enough to call my dad up and ask him what he planned on using those bullets for, and his reply was, "elk huntin'." 
JP

Offline buckweet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 07:08:30 AM »
count me in on being a .250 savage fan  ;D
i love my guns .. a 99  and a new savage classic bolt gun.
i think the .250 savage is one of the all time greats.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
another fan here, also in search of a Savage 99! 

Offline vabeachman

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
Hoping to get one built soon as I find an action or donor rifle.  I got a 257 barrel in a trade, Shilen Blank.
When a boot is on your throat does it matter if is the right boot or left boot?

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
Re: Still havin' fun with my M77 Ultralight in .250 Savage
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
Over the weekend, I ran 100 rounds through the tube of my Ruger M77 Ultralight in .250 Savage.  I was shooting at a 4" reactive target ball at distances between 100-125 yards, firing from an unsupported standing position (silhouette style).  The ammo was some I loaded in '92 -seating Sierra GameKing HPBTs over a full dose of IMR 4320 in Remington nickel-plated cases.  I hit the ball every time.

The more I shoot this rilfe / scope / cartridge combo, the more more I like it.  I've shot it so much compared to my two other centerfires (No.1B in .30-'06, semi-custom 336 in .30-30) that it is no longer third-place in terms of what I shoot best from field positions.  That gap has been bridged.   

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a feral hog with it, using a 120 grain GameKing HPBT.  The pig weighed about 180 pounds, field dressed.  One shot to the heart at 95 paces had it trot off about 30 yards before expiring. 

I like to think of myslef as a "Ruger No.1 Guy" and a "Marlin 336 Guy" and not much of a bolt action fan aside from a weakness for '03 Springfields, but the reality has been that I've been shooting the M77 Ultralight in .250 significantly more than my 1-B or 336.  It's compact, light, smooth functioning, easy to hit with, shockingly accurate, and just flat-out fun to shoot.  Based on the number of rounds I shot though this thing since the first of the year, it's obvious that the M-77 in .250 is my favorite rifle.  I'll be loading up another 400 rounds this week in preparing for yet another throughly enjoyable Saturday afternoon range session.   

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
J.P. Shelton, now you need to start looking for a 77R version, or maybe one of those Mannlicher 77s! [Stainless/Walnut looks cool...especially in .250!]

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
J.P. Shelton, now you need to start looking for a 77R version, or maybe one of those Mannlicher 77s! [Stainless/Walnut looks cool...especially in .250!]
I wouldn't mind having a 77R or 77RSI in .250 Savage.  My dulcet darling seems to think we need another M77RL in .250 in the gun room, though. :)
Having had a Savage Model 10 Sierra in the recent past, I'm a big fan of Savage 110-based bolt actions. It appears from Savage's website that they still catalog the 16 Weather Warrior and 14 Classic in .250 Savage.  Being a polished blued steel and walnut kind of guy, the choice should be a no-brainer for me -14 Classic all the way.  I'm not keen on the detachable magazine of the 14 Classic in .250, though.  The 16 has an intergral mag with hinged floorplate, which I would rather have.  I'm kind of leaning toward the 16 Weather Warrior but would like to ditch the plastic stock for at least a laminated wood one.