Author Topic: Any .250 Savage Fans Out Here in Smallbore Land?  (Read 3764 times)

Offline ThomTender

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: Any .250 Savage Fans Out Here in Smallbore Land?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »
I have a Md.14 Classic in 250 Savage, fine rifle, nice bluing and a good looking figured walnut stock that has clean and sharp checkering. Scoped with a Nikon  Pro Variable. One of the better looking rifle's in my rack. Groups real well with my hand loads.  What more can I say or want.  Thomtender

Offline JPShelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
Thanks ThomTender....  I do like the look and feel of the 14 Classic -aside from the detachable magazine, as I mentioned previously.  I don't see many of them, when I do they're never chambered to .250 Savage, but every one I've seen scored high marks for fit and finish and had very respectable walnut.

I still haven't decided between the 16 or the 14.  I know that targets and game don't care what a rifle looks like, but I do.  I much prefer the look of the 14 over the 16

I had a Model 10 Seirra that delivered the kind of accuracy everybody hopes for in a sporting rifle and then some, but moving it on down the road wasn't too hard for me to do.  I just couldn't warm up to the looks of it.  Yesterday, I was leaning toward the 16 but I know me, and if I buy the 16 instead of the 14, I'll probably have a little case of "coulda woulda shoulda" somewhere down the line, whereas I probably wouldn't if I go the other way and buy the 14 Classic.

I think I'll order one tomorrow morning.

JP

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »
Years ago, Uncle Marvin always brought his Savage levergun to our deer camp in the mountains.  He never had a problem toppling deer with his 250-3000 shooting core-lokt ammo.  Back in 1971, he shot the biggest buck in camp that year.  It was a heavy beamed 8 pointer that weighed approx 150 lbs after field dressing.  We struggled to drag that big buck up a steep hillside. 

Another year, Marv hunted in Canada for caribou with his 250.  He had saved for many years to pay for that trip.  He took two big bulls with just one shot each.  It was a highlight of his life.

Uncle Marvin died in '83 and his rifle went to auction.  So it goes.

Sadly, the mighty 250 Savage lost it's popularity when the .243 hit the scene.  It has been fading ever since.  Unfair but true.

TR