Author Topic: Wolff Springs - Where's the beef?  (Read 485 times)

Offline Bill3006

• Trade Count: (0)
Wolff Springs - Where's the beef?
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:27 AM »
I bought a five-pack of Wolff springs and put one in one of my rifles last weekend. It looked like a nice spring and had good tension when I put it in. After cocking the hammer a few times, it seemed like it took a little less effort than the old H&R spring. I put a string on the hammer extension and pulled it with my fish scale, and it took about 8 lbs tension to cock the hammer, keeping the string at about a right angle to a line through the hammer extension and the pin the hammer pivots on. I took it back apart and put the H&R spring back in. Compared to the other Wolff springs, the slightly used Wolff showed noticeable setback, which according to the Wolff website can be expected, but was more than the H&R spring. In fact, I could remove the Wolff spring with my fingers, no needlenose pliers needed. With the H&R spring back in, I measured 9 pounds to cock the hammer.

These are advertised as extra power springs, but are they? They look identical to the H&R spring, same 0.064 diam wire, same number of turns, same legs. Based on the setback, the spring material doesn't seem to be any better. What are other's thoughts on these springs? Did I just get a bad batch? I sent them back to Dave at Wolff for a refund (partial probably), but he said of the thousands they've sold they've never had another complaint.

A side note, I did notice that with the Wolff spring the trigger pull was reduced from 2.75 lbs to 2.5 lbs, which I guess makes sense because you are working against a slightly weaker spring.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Wolff Springs - Where's the beef?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:57:16 AM »
I've used dozens of em, never noticed any to be weaker than any H&R spring, maybe a bad batch they don't know about yet.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bill3006

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »
Thanks Tim, yes a bad batch would explain it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
I agree, I have installed dozens of them as well, I never noticed or had a problem after the instal... BUT, I admit, I never have weighed the differences.  ;)

On the 45-70 I just repaired there was a noticeable increase in the indentation of the primer with only the spring change. It was even better (of coarse) once I shaved off a few thousandths off the hammer.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.