Author Topic: 2 new Handi's ne old Handi owner  (Read 446 times)

Offline Muddly

• Trade Count: (0)
2 new Handi's ne old Handi owner
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
Been awhile! Well, I'm proof you are never an ex-Handi owner... Just got a Gardner production 22 lr Sportster and a Remmy SB2 22 Hornet. Both in NIB condition. I was very pleasantly surprised at the comparable quality between the two. Best of all, the trigger on the Sportster is a clean 3 1/2 lbs and 4 1/2 on the Hornet. I'm planning on barrels for shorter range cartridges as I have a Savage 111 270 for my long range stick. One idea is to convert a smoothbore 12 ga slug barrel to .45 acp by the permanent addition of a 8-10 inch 45 ACP barrel as a chamber/barrel sleeve( talk about free floating!). The remaining lenght of the 12 bore tube satisfying the minimum barrel length requirements ans well as making a bonk tube for very quiet shooting. I think a .357 and / or 44 mag barrel would round things out nicely, but for some reason the thought of a 38-40 and 44-40 is very interesting... Of coures easily available components and ammunition is required. Funny though. I thought I was done with Handi's...
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
Re: 2 new Handi's ne old Handi owner
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
nice find one can't have to many guns.where did you find the 22 sportster? i have been looking for one. enjoy your new guns ;)

Offline Muddly

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
Boyer's in Slatington Pa. He also has a very nice 45 Huntsman in nice shape for $129. If i didn't have my Black Diamond XR 50 I'd have been tempted. The Sportster is a 2000 production and is the only one I've ever seen. So far she's a 1 inch grouper at 50 with most ammo, but I think she wants to do better. The bore is extremely smooth. Not a tool mark to be seen. Cases do bulge abit at the ejector. Nothing dangerous, but it is there. I do wish it was an extractor though.I save all empties and take them to the scrap yard. Brass is $1.29/lb now. The way things are going, empty 22 rimfires may be useful again. Vernon  Speer got started during WW2 making dies to convert fired 22 cases into jackets for 22 and 6mm centerfires... Haven't shot the Hornet yet and i doubt the previous owner did either. I'm curious though. Is it easier to get Handi's to be accurate and consistent if they're chambered for cartridges of modest chamber pressures? I had a Handi once with  a 30-30 and 45-70 barrel and both were superb ( the 45-70 was a MOA rifle) but I did everything wrong. Oil on the latch resting on the forend, it didn't mater. Neither did dis/remounting the barrels. had a 243 that I did the right things to that wouldn't put 3 shots with 3 inches of one another at 100 unless by accident. just curious.
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:22:02 AM »
thats funny i just got a black diamond 50 cal the other day. now just waiting for red dot scope that will get here next week.i will eventually  find a sportster.