Author Topic: Saddle Ring Sling  (Read 713 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Saddle Ring Sling
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »

I found this in the FAQ.  Anyone use it and have any comments?  I was thinking about the mount on the stud in the stock grip like shown on the muzzle loader, not a receiver mounted ring.

Thanks,
Dan

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Saddle Ring Sling
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »
I like it. Might try one myself.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
I haven't tried it on a Handi, but I have used the same thing on an AR for years. Single point slings are very popular in the tactical arena. It will be comfortable and handy, but you will have to be careful when you bend over, very easy to plant the muzzle. Also, watch the family jewels! The gun will have a tendency to swing around and get you when you least expect it.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
I have two, one is on a "92 Rossi 357, the other is used on a variety of other guns.I just make a loop of paracord around the pistol grip and there you go.HTH   Doug      plus  Jr is one hell of a guy to deal with.Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
Years back I stuck a stud in the end of the PG and used it for the more typical rear mount for the shoulder sling so I wouldnt have to mess with my slip on ammo sleeve and/or recoil pad. It makes the gun hang funny and want to shift around to horizontal unless you keep shifting it back or kinda keep holding the butt down. I never tried it like you intend, but see possibilities now.
FWIW, I dont typically leave a sling on a hunting gun, its of no use slung, I want it in my hands. The sling will be on for carrying in or out, but on hunt will be in my pack.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
Cannon6, I agree with you about Junior. After reading his story, "A Turkish Mauser Becomes a Scout Rifle", I contacted him about the scout mount he used, as I was having problems finding one. He sold me his at a very reasonable price. Later I found out why, after reading the update detailing how he mounted a standard scope on the rifle. GBO and his site are everyday reading for me.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »
I have a saddle ring on my Marlin 336 Texan and I've used it a few times with a lanyard on my saddle horn.  The rifle bounces around too much.  Most often the rifle was in a saddle scabbard.  I don't like a single point for the reason it always slings muzzle down.  Stooping low under overhanging stuff puts her in the dirt.  On top of it, if you're doing any gyrations at all getting through brush, they're swiveling all around dangling in the way of your legs.  No thanks.  Perhaps, a single point attached to the top center of gravity waist high would work.   How do ya do that on a Handi? ???

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:50:17 AM »
Pete, that is exactly why I switched to a quick-adjustable 2-point tactical sling when I am "working". Rifle stays high and ready for action, and if I have to use my hands, bend over, etc, I just zip it up tight and it stays put.
Like gcrank1, I only use the slings on my hunting guns going in and out. When I'm hunting, the sling comes off and the rifle is in my hands. Just one less thing to get hung up and mess up a shot.

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:06:59 AM »
As far as poking the muzzle in the dirt, a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle solves that problem.  Easily removable, and yes, you can shoot thru it without affecting accuracy.  GW

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »
BTDT, but I still don't like dangling a rifle on the end of a string like a yo-yo.  I want it in my hands even when traveling, or very close there to.  I want it controlled, not gathering brush debris and dirt in the scope or action.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
BTDT, but I still don't like dangling a rifle on the end of a string like a yo-yo.  I want it in my hands even when traveling, or very close there to.  I want it controlled, not gathering brush debris and dirt in the scope or action.

Pete

+1

Spanky

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
I like to have all my hunting guns set up for slings, but I cannot remember the last time I used one.  What interested me about this set up is (theoretically) I could hold the gun more or less like I do now when moving through the woods and let it hang at my side when I'm walking in a clear flatish area like the edge of a crop field. 

It is interesting no one has yet commented on using the actual sling.  It's been in the FAQ for over 3 years.  Maybe I answered my own question.

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I can't see this but maybe for hogs down south.

In the Northeast, walking around with a rifle dangling around like that, other than being really annoying, would serve no purpose. There's just nothing to stalk, maybe rabbits, that you walk up on and need a super uber fast grab and shoot on with a rifle. It really would be very annoying. Hogs I can see, but then I want my rifle in two hands ready to mount and shoot.

Well,maybe it's just me.

Anyway, all power to new stuff.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
Valid points all, this is nothing but a rehash of the Calvary sling  used for centuries.Doug
a armed man is his own master