Author Topic: Would like to start reloading for my .45-70 Handi!!!!  (Read 2215 times)

Offline evan1395

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • If you're gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be tough!
Re: Would like to start reloading for my .45-70 Handi!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
::) Funny, but unless I missed it reading the posts, no one mentioned lubricating the cases PRIOR to resizing.  You will need some type of lubricator and lubricant.  A stuck case is no fun.....
I too was waiting for someone to inform me of this. HoweverI had already learned this on a youtube video. You just lube about every 5th or 6th one, right? Just to keep them from sticking in the dies?

I like this one.  There will be a lot of opinions on case lube.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005393299

Funny enough this is the exact same lube I saw being used on youtube.
This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
If your only going to lube every 4th or 5th one you had better get the hammer & wood dowl ready , your going to need them to un-stick a few case's  :-[ :-\ :'(  . I like Hornady's One Shot spray lube , just set the case's in a loading tray and give them a lite misting , does a nice job and not too much of a chore to clean up before loading .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »
If your only going to lube every 4th or 5th one you had better get the hammer & wood dowl ready , your going to need them to un-stick a few case's  :-[ :-\ :'(  . I like Hornady's One Shot spray lube , just set the case's in a loading tray and give them a lite misting , does a nice job and not too much of a chore to clean up before loading .

stimpy

I saw this method too online on a youtube "How-To" video. It just seemed rather messy. Then again, I plan on reloading on my garage workbench, it's already covered in bearing grease and brake cleaner and just about everyother chemical automotive related. What's a little case lube gonna do? :D

This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
Buy one of those aluminum foil baking pans (about 3 bucks from the grocery store) to lube them in.  It'll last a long time and get the mess contained...

Tony

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
i tried the spray a good while back and
never really liked it.
i still use the old lube pad i got with my
original stuff i bought used way back when.
i did turn the pad over in the plastic box
about 10 or so years ago to use the other side.
found out it was originally green instead of black.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »
For cast and swaged lead bullets--The only way to know for sure what size lead bullets to use, is to slug your bore and mic the slug.  That said, my handi (and most others that I have heard of) likes .459.  Most people recommend .001 to .002 over nominal groove diameter.  This fit combined with good lube and proper velocity will help eliminate leading. 

If your gonna reload on your workbench, you need to make sure to keep your reloading components well isolated from your grease and oils as they do not mix well.  If you get just a little oil on your finger and then handle your primers, you can ruin them in short order and never know it until you try to shoot them.

Don't skimp on the lube, lube every one, they're all gonna need cleaned anyway  removing stuck cases can range from a minor annoyance to slightly more fun than getting a root canal with a chainsaw.  If it feels bad going in, stop or its gonna feel worse coming out.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »
For cast and swaged lead bullets--The only way to know for sure what size lead bullets to use, is to slug your bore and mic the slug.  That said, my handi (and most others that I have heard of) likes .459.  Most people recommend .001 to .002 over nominal groove diameter.  This fit combined with good lube and proper velocity will help eliminate leading. 

If your gonna reload on your workbench, you need to make sure to keep your reloading components well isolated from your grease and oils as they do not mix well.  If you get just a little oil on your finger and then handle your primers, you can ruin them in short order and never know it until you try to shoot them.

Don't skimp on the lube, lube every one, they're all gonna need cleaned anyway  removing stuck cases can range from a minor annoyance to slightly more fun than getting a root canal with a chainsaw.  If it feels bad going in, stop or its gonna feel worse coming out.

Yessir! I do have a rather "clean" section of my workbench I plan on isolating for all my reloading components whent he time does come.