Author Topic: why do people do this to you!  (Read 1398 times)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
why do people do this to you!
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
a buddy just called me and said his dad had a chance to buy a winchester rifle in 45-70 he thought was made in the 60's. for $250.im drawing a blank except for a 1886 model. which i know wasnt made in 1960. as he said it loads like a 30-30 and is a lever gun.he was worried if he could make 50 bucks on it so i offered 500$ if it would shoot.now im excited but im sure nothing will come of it.kinda like the cheap harley in the barn stories.

did win make any later model 45-70s? even if is a miroku or other knock offs it shuf be worth that.

Offline spruce

Re: why do people do this to you!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
I sure don't know of any .45/70's made by Winchester in the 60's. 

Winchester did make some model 12's around 1971 or so - did they make (import I should say) any 1886 copies around this time, before Browning introduced them???

A possibility is it's a Marlin and the seller/buyer don't know the difference.

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »

If your friend's Dad was so unsophisticated that he didn't even bother read the model number of the rifle off the side of the barrel, then you can bet for sure that he hasn't a clue as to what year the rifle was really made.  Why does he "think" it was made in the 1960s?

If his best description of the piece is that "it loads like a .30-30," then plainly he doesn't know much about rifles at all.

This is likely a Marlin, or maybe a Browning copy

Did he buy it?   If it was in VG+ condition, he couldn't possibly go wrong paying $250 for it, regardless of the make, model or caliber.

Call him and find out.  If not, run over with your $250 and get it.

Best Regards, Mannyrock

Offline hillbill

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »

If your friend's Dad was so unsophisticated that he didn't even bother read the model number of the rifle off the side of the barrel, then you can bet for sure that he hasn't a clue as to what year the rifle was really made.  Why does he "think" it was made in the 1960s?

If his best description of the piece is that "it loads like a .30-30," then plainly he doesn't know much about rifles at all.

This is likely a Marlin, or maybe a Browning copy

Did he buy it?   If it was in VG+ condition, he couldn't possibly go wrong paying $250 for it, regardless of the make, model or caliber.

Call him and find out.  If not, run over with your $250 and get it.

Best Regards, Mannyrock

oh now nobody knows nuttin and the guy cant be reached.i offered 500 buks if it was what he said it was but havent heard anything back. about what i figured wud happen.