Author Topic: Illinois deer guns  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Illinois deer guns
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:04 AM »
I am a X Illinois hunter that now lives in Missouri but I still keep an eye on this site.  Do you think that the IL D of C will ever follow the example of Indiana and allow pistol  cartrige rifles to be used or more likely the upstate bunch will reduce you to using slling shots? ;D

RJ

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Illinois deer guns
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
There's actually a bill in the state house that would allow us to use pistol cartridges in a rifle. It's hard to say if it'll pass or not. The Chicago libs are so worked up about assault weapons, right now, I'm afraid we might be looking at a New York style mess.  If it were up to them, we'd be limited to muzzleloaders and single shot shotguns, 20ga and smaller.  Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
 The way things are now I wouldn't expect it. I would just get the best slug gun or M-L you can & work with that. I really can't imagine a handgun cartridge chambered long gun I'd rather hunt with over my muzzle-loader. I'm talking effective range & all. It does take a little more prepping to hunt with & clean a M-L, I'll admit that.

I certainly would welcome the change if it happened though.
NRA, Veteran

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:46:49 PM »
I could definitely see deer hunting with a lever gun in .44. I have a Savage 10ML that I use sometimes, but my old Remy 870 is still my favorite, for some reason (probably because I've been using it since high school). The thing that scares me is that the last ban our Chicago friends cooked up included 12 gage shotguns, because its large than .50. Truth is, I fear we may be in the same boat as New York.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
i would give up my 12ga to hunt with my 1894 44mag in a hart beat
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline bremraf

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
I would love it if they allowed even single shots with pistol cartridges, but I'd have to unload the Disc Extreme I just bought!

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
heck ya i would have a 22" 460 barrel made for my Encore
that would work real nice over a bean field
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline spartacus1239

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
    • Just pics
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:00:32 AM »
have 357 maxi's just waiting to be used...
My FFL holder requires any firearms to be shipped to them via another FFL holder.  So, If I make an offer on a firearm please let me know if this is capable of being done from the start.  Please do NOT mark an item "SPF" to me until we "both" are happy with and in agreement on shipping, funds and the transaction in general.   Thanks

Massive music geek, have a LOT of different headphones and headphone amps.

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:24 AM »
Having to basicly start over on hunting guns, I really wish they would follow MS and IN and allow straight walled rifle calibers of .35 and larger and pistol calibers.
But going to get a centerfire revovler or G2 and a ML to cover it all as a base.  Might add a slug gun next year.
If I had my wish, would use a 45/70 Ruger #1 and call it done!
Lefty
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!

Offline spartacus1239

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
    • Just pics
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »
I have a beautiful stainless / grey laminate Ruger #1 in .45-70.   Just a fantastic rifle and caliber.    And like you wish I could use it on Deer... Can use it on yotes here in Il all I want... but no deer.  makes no sense.
My FFL holder requires any firearms to be shipped to them via another FFL holder.  So, If I make an offer on a firearm please let me know if this is capable of being done from the start.  Please do NOT mark an item "SPF" to me until we "both" are happy with and in agreement on shipping, funds and the transaction in general.   Thanks

Massive music geek, have a LOT of different headphones and headphone amps.