Author Topic: Turkey Shoot  (Read 498 times)

Offline JohnDY

• Trade Count: (0)
Turkey Shoot
« on: February 16, 2004, 07:15:23 AM »
I went to my first turkey shoot on Sunday. I was suppost to meet a friend there but he was a no show. I didn't know anyone else there but I ending up have a great time. I ending up talking about hunting and fishing with a few of the regulars. I got a lead on another place to hunt. But I did poorly shooting. I was using my 870(sorry I don't have a 12g H&R) with 28" barrel and modify choke. I quickly learned you need at least a full choke or better. Better sights also help.

I plan on getting a extra full turkey choke and some rifle sights for the gun but is there anything else I can do to better my odds of winning anything?
JohnDY

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Turkey Shoot
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 08:27:03 AM »
What were you using for ammo, and what are the ammo restrictions?  How is it scored?

If it's number of hits use the smallest shot possible.  If the smallest is 6 shot, use 6 shot.  If the smallest is 9 shot, use 9 shot.  And when you try out and set your new sights try some different brands and kinds of the shot size you selected.  You shotgun may pattern 1 7/8 oz load better than a 2 oz load.  You'll just have to try some out and see what shoots best.

Hope this helps!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Turkey Shoot
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 11:51:15 AM »
its kinda funny how shotguns like different ammo. but as it was already said, you got to play around and find what you gun likes. i use #6 hevi shot in a 3 inch mag, and i have no complants with it at all. now i tried atleast 6 different types of ammo before i found the right thing, and i might be able to get alittle better, but i dont want to think about the cost of trying to :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  playing with chokes is not to hard, but dont try ammo matching until you pick a choke.  i love the "pattern master" choke tubes myself. a bit of money at starting about $80, but thet do hold a great pattern for turkey guns. but if you want to save a few bucks, and still get a good turkey choke, go with the "hastings ported" chokes. i think you can order either one from cabelas, or bass pro shop.  as far as the sights go, "truglo" makes a very nice set that goes on the rib of your shotgun, that is the set my brother in law uses. i think he paid around $50 after shipping. but they are rifle sights that mount on the rib, and they are great. hiviz makes a couple nice sets too. but the truglo are my favorites. well my two cents worth, be glad to help with any other questions you may have to.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline JohnDY

Turkey Shoot
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 08:40:42 AM »
Scruffy,

They provide the ammo. It was AA trap loads. We were shooting at a 4 inch square of paper at 30 yards. The person with the most holes(pellets) on the target wins the round.

VC,
I am heading over to Bass Pro and get a turkey choke tube and those rifle sights. I planned on doing some turkey hunting anyway. I got a place to go now that is loaded with them... at least during deer season. I didn't see any deer...saw lots of turkeys.
JohnDY

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Turkey Shoot
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 08:57:47 AM »
:D  :D john<------- let us know how it turns out. and if you have any other questions i will be glad to try to help you out. good luck. and boy i wish i could go bass pro, we dont have any up here :(  :(  :(
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Turkey Shoot
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 02:40:56 PM »
JohnDy, which Bass Pro Shop are you near?  I live aprox. 40 minutes from the one in Concord, (Charlotte) NC.   I feel like a kid in a candy store everytime I go there.  My 4 year old girl loves the GIANT fish tank that covers an entire wall at one end of the store.  I only wish their prices were more competative with some of the catalog/web retailers.

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC