Author Topic: Is it worth becoming an FFL  (Read 513 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it worth becoming an FFL
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »

Hi All,

Not sure where to post this, but here goes. After buying some guns online, I'm considering become an FFL so I can avoid the fees associated with firearm transfers. Does anyone know if I can become an FFL just for my own buying - is that allowed? Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Re: Is it worth becoming an FFL
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »
having FFL is supposed to be a PIA, ever since the Clinton administration. used to be worthwhile.Not now; I do not want any more gov't scrutiny. That was the whole idea, make it unattractive - those eee-vil kitchen table dealers!
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
NO!  unless you are going to make it a full time business, have a store front, and a large stock.
BD

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:12:31 AM »
Whats  the  yearly  license  fee  for  a  FFL?    It  has  crossed   my  mind  to  get  one  also.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »
To get a FFL you have to have a store front and business license.  You must be in it as a business.  My Dad had a "home" FFL until the rules were changed.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »
To get a FFL you have to have a store front and business license.  You must be in it as a business.  My Dad had a "home" FFL until the rules were changed.

Ben
O  well  ,  another  bursted  bubble  idea.

Offline Anna

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
Go ahead and get one , more patriots need to be armed and you can then make that happen !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
I know guys that rent an old store front just to keep their FFL.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
You can not have a FFL only for buying.
You must sell so many guns in order to keep it.
I was going to get one many, many years ago when it wasn't that hard to do.
Had the forms all filled out, had a business license and a store front.
Even had the check written out to send in, then I re-read the whole thing over again just to make sure I had all that was needed when I saw at the bottom of the page that the BATF (no E on the end at that time) had the right to come in, unannounced and check you private collection.
Now I think my guns are all OK but I don't know for sure who may have had them or where some of them came from before I got them.
With all the paper work you have to keep for at least 10 years and their inspections, it ain't worth it unless you really intend to make it a full time business.
I have a friend who own a gun shop and for $20.00 or $25.00 he will run anything I buy from anyone through his books.
For that price, it ain't worth the hassle.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:56 AM »

Ben
That's not entirely true, if you are licensed as a gunsmith you can make your home address your place of business. As a gunsmith you have the same license as a gun store but you are not required to post established business hours. I had an FFL for 12 years and was never hassled in any way. I have a neighbor now who is a gunsmith and has his shop in his garage. The intital application fee is $300 good for three years and renewal every three years is $100, you can make more than that just doing background checks for your friends. Now admittedly I was located out in the sticks, four hours drive from the Denver ATF office, if you are located near an ATF office you may get more visits from them or if there are many other dealers near by so that they can hit several on one trip. I can only say that for myself it was well worth having an FFL and I never saw anything like the horror stories told by the NRA.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline johnpaulh

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
If you are mainly interested in acquiring firearms for your collection, then a Curio and Relic (C&R) license is the way to go.  No requirement for a store front or tax ID etc.....actually, there is a stipulation you CAN NOT run it as a buying and selling operation.

Perfect for what you described.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:04 AM »
I believe a C&R license is only good for firearms made prior to a certain date. I had an FFL for quite a few years prior to the Clinton administration. I wasn't aware of a volume threshhold on the number of transactions. I do know ANY firearm at the address on your FFL ( home,storefront,whatever) either had to be labeled PRIVATE PROPERTY-NOT FOR SALE or entered into your bound book with the serial number, make , source and date obtained,etc. Agents could enter the address on the FFL at any time and for any reason to do an audit. The only interaction I had with the ATF over several years was they contacted me when I didn't renew my license and told me I was required to send in my bound book. I complied and haven't heard from them since. I know the process has gotten a lot more complicated and wouldn't accept an FFL now if they offered me one for free.