Author Topic: plan of attack for future build.  (Read 1923 times)

Offline samsonjohn

• Trade Count: (1)
plan of attack for future build.
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
Hi guys so in my beginning stages of obsession I would like to build a truck gun. I want it to be little not necessarily the shortest I can legally make it but the shortest for an easy build and still be use able /fun to hunt and well use. I don't want to have to trim stocks so almost every thing will be bought besides the barrel.
The Hardest part is going to be the barrel. I would like it cut and threaded to around 18 inches. I have personally used an 18in barrel to hunt with it is not the best but with the right choke it is easily doable.  I have not decided weather to just buy the first frame i find and build that or look for just a shotgun frame. pros about rifle the truck gun does not just have to be a shotgun can also be a rifle.

the smallest stock i have found is choates. youth syn stock then the reciever and  then cut and threaded barrel thats what i was thinking. comes out to an estimated 31.75in or something like that. Am I completely wrong with any thing. I am also 6"4 so that's really the only thing that is going to make me hesitate about that tiny stock. I also might be over thinking and super excited about my new gun. Might just do a simple cut and thread and leave the rest as it is. OK ramble over

John

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: plan of attack for future build.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
samsonjohn:

Take it from a true fan of Choate/H&R furniture: DON'T USE THE YOUTH STOCK !!!  Seriously, I'm 5'10" and it's far too short for me.  There's a few threads going on right now concerning cut down Pardners and I'm in the process of having 1 done right now that's spot on with what you're wanting.

The gun started life as a Pardner 12 gauge with a 28" barrel, fixed modified choke, and pallet wood furniture.  The barrel's being cut down to 18.5"s, threaded for choke tubes, and getting a high visibility bead sight.  I'm replacing the furniture with Choates conventional [...adult length...] buttstock and their Checkered forend.  Overall length should be approximately 34.5"s

I looked at this project from every angle and it was just a hell of a lot less hassle to start with a new gun.  It's still a fairly inexpensive build and I can pass the wood furniture on to someone who can use it.  I just don't know how to make use of the 9.5"s of pipe laying under the band saw ;D !

regards,
Jeff 

Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline samsonjohn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
Thank you for the advice now as a side thought Is there any reason to have to store the gun assembled? 33inch is still a darn site shorter then most but I got this perfect spot in my bed box that would fit it taken down perfectly.

If you dont mind me asking who is threading the barrel? I am looking for a local shop that can do it to me in California.
As for the barrel piece, weld  the back end drill a hole and make a noise maker cannon?

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »
samsonjohn:

I can't think of any reason it would need to be stored assembled.  If you go the disassembled route, consider Choates "Storend" forend as it can be removed or installed without a screwdriver.

I live in Arkansas, and a local gunsmith shop is doing the barrel work for me.  If you don't like what you hear out west, get in touch and we'll see what these guys can do for you.

As for the cannon, hmm...I feel a "hey ya'll, watch THIS!!!" moment coming on.  Complete with EMS and a wife who shakes her head ;D .

regards,
Jeff 

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
Im 6'1" and the youth stock for even my 22Mag ended up being too short for me (yeah, doable, but I cant imagine touching off a shotgun with my thumb already in my face).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
John,

FWIW, a 18.1" Rem 870 pump is about the same OAL  as a 22" H&R Pardner single shot.  In my mind, the break action singles with the shorter factory barrels are already "truck" guns.  If you can find a 22" modified choke 12 or 20 ga Pardner then you can shoot birdshot, buckshot or foster slugs w/o the need of installing a screw in choke tube.  If you want optics then you probably would have to go with the 20ga because a d/t for a rail on a 12 ga would have you drilling completely through the chamber swell of your barrel.  I personally would keep wood furniture on the gun to help keep the balance while carrying the gun. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:58 AM »
My next Pardner will be a cut and thread 12 gauge or the 22 inch modified.  The 22" youth 12 would be the cheaper way to go and even with an adult stock the OAL would be 37.5" which is the same as a .30-30 lever and a WHOLE lot lighter.  I know normally the recoil would be really bad but I plan on loading 3/4, 7/8 and 1 oz loads for it.  All in the vel range of about 1200 fps which would be a pussy cat.  Haven't seen the 22" 12 gauge yet though.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:51 AM »
I did my shorty to 18.5 but mines in 10 ga. does a nice job on whatever you point it at, slugs are rather sporting out of it though ;D
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:03:16 AM »
  Yep !    Sporting is a good way to put it.   ;D
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
I did my shorty to 18.5 but mines in 10 ga. does a nice job on whatever you point it at, slugs are rather sporting out of it though ;D

Can you clap with your shoulder blades ;D ?

regards,
Jeff

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52:49 AM »
Sporting; isnt that a wonderfully understated way of putting it!
Rock My World!
Now youve got me thinkin' about going out today just for fun with Ol' Ugly Overkill and popping off some 3" slugs...... :o :P :'(
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
My 10 gauge is a walk in the park after i started casting and shooting 700 grain full bore slugs with 44 grains of blue dot out of my 12 ga ush.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
My 10 gauge is a walk in the park after i started casting and shooting 700 grain full bore slugs with 44 grains of blue dot out of my 12 ga ush.

What the heck needs that much killing? :o ;D
Have you run the numbers to see how much recoil you're dealing with? It's gotta be up there with some of the big bore magnum rifles... or higher. Whooohoooo. ;D

Spanky

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 05:53:50 AM »
I'm beginning to remember now how much I love my 20 gauges.

Jeff

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 06:20:22 AM »
It is stuff like these that lets some of us afford to experience what a real BIG game cartridge is like on the operator end.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »
my federal 10 ga super slugs are 765 (1.75 oz) grains and really isn't THAT bad really, unless your trying to bench rest em, not advisable ??? . besides if you like a handful you should try my browning beltfed in 8mm with a 9 inch barrel :o
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
Well I'll weigh in with my brother's 20 USH (on a SB 2) with three .646, 394 grain round balls in each Mag-Tec brass shell at about 1,100 fps.  His rifle weighs more than 12 pounds but I still don't enjoy shooting it.  He does though.  :)

Cat

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »
 three .646, 394 grain round balls......thats not normal :o

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 03:58:13 AM »
Some pre-BPE British cartridges for the bore-rifles ran 12bore-750gr., 10bore-875-980gr., 8bore-1465gr., and 4bore-2000gr.
(source: Bob Woodfill,'BPE Cartridges, Developement & History'; Black Powder Cartridge News, summer 2010)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
You're right, it is absolutley not normal.  Coming up with a safe load that delivered what he wanted strained my tiny little brain I can tell you howdy.  Of course it's on a new NEF rifle action and isn't really high pressure.  I'm guessing about 25,000.  Of course firing one in a regular shotgun would be catastrophic to say the least.  Even one without a choke!

He's always been in love with the big Africian calibers, but has never had anywhere near that sort of money.  Drop a 600 Nitro cartridge in his hand and would go nuts.  This is as close as he'll ever get.  Since the top ball is crimped on the equator the round even kinda looks like a Nitro.  Funny to watch the target and see three holes (big'uns too) appear with one shot.

Cat

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
Quote from: bikerbeans
FWIW, a 18.1" Rem 870 pump is about the same OAL  as a 22" H&R Pardner single shot.  In my mind, the break action singles with the shorter factory barrels are already "truck" guns.  If you can find a 22" modified choke 12 or 20 ga Pardner then you can shoot birdshot, buckshot or foster slugs w/o the need of installing a screw in choke tube.  If you want optics then you probably would have to go with the 20ga because a d/t for a rail on a 12 ga would have you drilling completely through the chamber swell of your barrel.  I personally would keep wood furniture on the gun to help keep the balance while carrying the gun.   

Excellent points!

BTW, for your other gents, when having a "truck gun,"  what the point is having a shortie-shotgun if its stored disassembled!!??

Yeah the law requires it be unloaded when transporting (and I agree thats good-safrty and prudent!), but what good is a gun for quick use if one first has to reassemble it before they can bag a grouse or deer?  If not dispatch something that needs it?

I like BB's points about the already-choked 22inch Pardner barrels, but has anyone considered installing a Polychoke?  Even a re-used one?  They may be fugly, but they're often inexpensive and they work;)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
I havent found a used PolyChoke in my rambings, but maybe you are more lucky. I had one on an old Mossberg bolt 20 in the late '60's, early '70's and it seemed to do what they claimed in some simple pattern tests I did then, but I didnt know much and just followed some gunrag article I stumbled on. It was likely the right stuff, though.
Nowdays Im more inclined to do the KISS thing, and truth is, even my cylinderbore SB slug barrel shoots shot loads good enough for the real world distances Ive had to pop stuff that I havent put the bird barrel back on.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Couger

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »

;D   I almost got lucky on fleaBay buying some used Polychokes, but somehow missed on them! (bad timing it was).  However the used items do exist.  ;)

But KISS works too!  Even a cylinder bore (that's cut straight).

In your travels, what ranges "work" for you?

Please understand GCrank I find your postings informative (almost always) and repsect your knowledge and experience!

My question about ranges, I find that less-is-more oftimes, and when using a specialty gun - often calls fo a little finesse to really use something well.  So ranges might indeed be shorter when [carefully] selecting "shots!"  ;)

Also one of my projects is building my Handi-Survivor, in a 12gauge! (and not a .308, not a .223, nor .30/06, nor .357/.38Spl, nor .410/.45Colt, etc).

I'm building a 12 gauge!  (also as much because of the specialty ammo I'll store with it).

But I don't know if i'll leave it cylinder bore at 19 or 20 inches; or maybe install a polychoke.  ;)

The ammo will include some bruiser 3inch bear-slugs (and some Managed Recoil forsters), some Dead Coyote buckshot, but also some 1oz 2" #7 1/2 loads!  And some 2" red meteor (boating) flares I'm reloading/rebuilding, too.  My goal is to have a self-contained piece (for grab-N-go).

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
Thanx for the kind words!
I am fortunate to live in the country and have a nice little 50yd. range out back with my lower deck as a 'casual rest' (and more serious if I C-Clamp up the tabletop). There is good ground inbetween to pick a spot in the leaves or such to pop stuff off at, or go for a walk to the neighbor's field to get some dirt chunks, etc., and way more than a few trees. Ive shot the slug gun with shot and slugs from 20ish yd to 50, but figuring my real 'game shots' with a smoothbore for many years I woulds say most have been within 30yd. A lot of critters look pretty small that far to me and Im quite surprised how tight the pattern in the leaves is at that distance when I pull up and point shoot for effect. A can is riddled at the same and bounces with vigor. So much for the 'scattergun' thing, I sure wouldnt want to be on the receiving end.
You will have to learn to instinctively mount that gun to make the payload go where you are looking, but with your intentions it sounds like you are going to be playing with it enough to 'get 'er down'.

><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
Im tellin ya guys. THE 10 GA shorty!

. WHEN IT ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY HAS TO DIE, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES :o .

Offline Couger

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

Two 10gaggers I've considered owning (in my dreams!) is the H&R single-cannon, and Browning BPS (except I no longer hunt waterfowl!).

However, what would I kill with them?

I rarely shoot shot bigger than #5's. 

Maybe someday I'll hunt greater Canada geese again, Sandhill Cranes, and hopefully a few Sage Grouse. 

Those sagehens can go 8-10 pounds!  (although by then they are tough and tasting really  STRONG).

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
Im holdin' out for an 8ga.  :P .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

I'll Take It! ;)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
first let me say Im not trying to hyjack his thread. my 10ga is a two barrel gun. I have one barrel cut to 18 inches and the other is 36 inches with a full choke, and its a turkey downer, add in that I'm located along the black river 30 miles west of the mississippi river in the northern part of wisconsin, so we get our share of geese. that 36 inch barrel does wonders on a down armored goose and you have one of my favorite guns for the big birds. although recently, I've found that the price of shells hurts far more than the recoil.

now on the future plan of attack, you can also  considered one of the 22 inch Modified choked barrels, available from the barrel accessory program or, even one of the 24 inch barrels with interchangable chokes and chambered for 3.5 inch, that opens the ammo option up even more, with 2.75, 3 or 3.5 inch shells. prices are around 55.00 and 75.00. probably close to the cost of threading a cut barrel for chokes. Just my two cents, and you'd have change coming ???

oh and on a side note,i've heard that the newer 10 ga, can be rechambered for 8 ga, so guess, what I'm thinking about for the new shorty :o

also consider using a rifle receiver as you can change between rifles and shotguns and really turn her into a survival weapon. myself, I like a 16.5 inch  barreled 45/70 or 444 but thats up to you, and options are endless from there!

Offline perrytrails

• Trade Count: (5)
plan of attack for future build.
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Here's mine, my dad won it in a raffle. Couldn't handle a single in 12ga at that time so he gave it to me. I cut it to 18 1/2 and replaced the bead. Used it for rabbit hunting for years. Decided to put a poly choke on it to make it more versatile. Oh and those barrel clamps that come on new Mossberg combos make great light clamps. Easy on easy off. Shoots a little high being that short. And your over $100 on the poly choke. The screw in option would prob be half that.