Author Topic: plan of attack for future build.  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Re: plan of attack for future build.
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:37 PM »
Quote from: perrytrails
Here's mine, my dad won it in a raffle. Couldn't handle a single in 12ga at that time so he gave it to me. I cut it to 18 1/2 and replaced the bead. Used it for rabbit hunting for years. Decided to put a poly choke on it to make it more versatile. Oh and those barrel clamps that come on new Mossberg combos make great light clamps. Easy on easy off. Shoots a little high being that short. And your over $100 on the poly choke. The screw in option would prob be half that.
Oh really!  I would agree with that thought (possibly) if a fellow was sending his barrel/gun to the @Polychoke company for a [brand new] installation,
But what I've been aiming for is finding a "used" polychoke" attached to a couple inches of barrel stock after the seller (or someone) cut it off a previously used barrel!
Then the next step is getting the 'smith that agrees to re-install it, to clean it up first (by unsoldering or detaching it from the old stock-barrel .....) then assembling my barrel.
On fleaBay such used polychokes are listed weekly (and daily at times), usually selling for $15-$25 range.  Sometimes less (or more). 
One seller had eight polychokes he listed in two listings (of 4 each).
I stoopidly missed 'em both!  If I had won one of them, probably could have sold what I didn't need to almost pay for the one I would.
BTW, have seen polychokes installed on a couple [cheap] singleshotties (old Winchesters, Savage/Stevens, H&R's, etc.).
None were pretty, but functional?  HECK YEAH!  ;)
BTW PerryTrails, that's a great looking rig in those pics!  Thanks for posting them.  8)

Offline samsonjohn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
Sounds good to me. Love the ideas. I am preetym much Sol for threading for chokes there are only 2 smiths within 100 miles and each quote 140+ damn California sucks. So I have since gotten my gf hooked one these rifles/scatter guns and she wants one that she can get engrave and get her stock all done up for the trap range vs a new 800+$ gun I found an ffl I can get a new 30-06 for 414 out the door and I am thinking new nice shotgun barrel on it and then give her my pardner or just make it the truck gun permanent. It might as well be has not left it since I got it.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 02:37:22 AM »
As for poly-chokes,  I don't know much about them but I have seen something similar at Final Flight here in Union City, TN.  I believe maybe it screwed into the threaded choke with the adjustment on the end.  (I didn't look it over good, not in the market for one.)  I know you don't have threaded choke yet but thought I would throw that in.