Author Topic: ideas - but for a lathe  (Read 813 times)

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
ideas - but for a lathe
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »
I really enjoy reading of others ideas on what would be a good idea in a handi, such as gcrank1's idea on a 30CR

my ideas, if I had a lathe:

1)  .416x2.2R straight    I have a 416 barrel from a Rigby, I have .303brit brass.... 

2)  .35x2.2R-BN (Long Neck) I'd need to find a 357mag rifle barrel, did I mention I have access to Brit brass?   this one would be a bottle neck with a neck long enough to hold something like THIS!

3)  .30x1.5R-BN (long Neck) same as #2, but from either 303, or 30/30, and a neck long enough to hold THIS!  one can get a 30cal barrel anywhere.

What I am leaning to, is Cast friendly cartridges that can push a CB to about 2000-2100 fps.  A long neck to hold all the lube grooves AND the check within the neck.

I am not sure my MV goal would be reached in the .416 but I'd take a 350gr at 1750 -1800fps

also, I'd sub a 444Marlin brass for the Brit, but I would lean to the Brit for cost reasons.

hmmm...  Night shifts.... too much time to think!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: ideas - but for a lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:28:27 AM »
Do I detect (recognize?) some cabin fever goin' on here?  :P
In the back of one of my Cartridges of the World is an article on 'Down Under' and mention made that the venerable 303B has been wildcatted into about every caliber one can imagine that will fit.
BTW, Goggle up 'simple lathes' for some inspiration.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:56:27 AM »
I can understand this kind of frustration.  You can do something about it.  It is truly amazing what can be done with a hacksaw and a file (we call them Arkansas milling machines here in Missouri).  Several years ago I was so done with frustration I built a De haas Chicopee with hand tools.  In the process learned to use the above high tech tools to a high degree.  At this point without exaggerating I can machine a rectangular steel block to within .002,  a possible lug?  With patience and practice anyone can do it.  In fact anybody interested PM me and I will share some tips.  Attached are some pictures of the Chicopee.  Buy the way I will have pictures of my finished "Monoblock Carbine" by the end of the week.  Regards PC
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »
Oh! that is SWEET
Yep, you're right, the basic machine tool is the file (and you the motor).
I have that DeHaas book and admired the prints and all; putting feet to the trail is the hard part and you done it good.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Given the way things are going nationally with shortages of components we may all need to get good with cast bullets to save $$$ for primers and powder.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
Been doin' just that for 30ish years  ;D .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »
Given the way things are going nationally with shortages of components we may all need to get good with cast bullets to save $$$ for primers and powder.
I am not building rifles out of toothpicks yet, but i have a bucket of 30-06 brass which i am turning into .338 Fed, 7x57, .308, 6.5x55, etc. Cabin fever just the same.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
Do I detect (recognize?) some cabin fever goin' on here?  :P

BTW, Goggle up 'simple lathes' for some inspiration.

it was -34C this morning when I left work!

Simple Lathes? Wilco!

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »
PineyCreek

nice work!   I am a "Little" jealous of your skills!

I have some articles from De Haas, and others.

regarding files, I watched a TV show one time, showing apprentices in Germany, just starting in the Machining Trade.
The instructor was teaching them file work, and they had to "Mill" a block of rough steel to a rectangle. And he was measureing with his machinist's square, and eyeballing it.
It was very interesting how they were able to meet the tolerances with only a file, square, vise and Eyeball!

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »
I knew a German immigrant machinist who was taught just that way, and he had no respect for most American 'machinists' that he had to hire to work in his shop. He was one tough act to follow, but he knew what could be done and how to do it, so he didnt cut any slack.
BTW, I didnt work for him, so I found him 'colorful'......
He came into the shop one day at like 5 min to 7AM start time and the guys werent at their posts and prepping the machines to be actually running at 7; fired 'em all on the spot. I stopped in later that day and he was manually fluting a 50BMG sniper rifle barrel, said he didnt use the auto feed 'cause he couldnt 'feel' the tool cutting the metal that way. After each pass he rotated the barrel 180deg.; hog too deep and feed too fast and not rotate he said ruined the accuracy. Back then I could have bought one of HIS shop made base models for only $1200.
Klaus was quite a guy.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:31:16 AM »
some trades trained in Europe have different mentality.

same with meatcutting ( I was one in a previous life )   some guys take a 4 year course, and can cut an animal into chops etc, with only knives and cleavers.     

Band saws only shorten the shelf life.  You'll never see a sawn bone in India either, yet the meat lasts 2-3 days, where if it was sawn, it would rot by the end of one!

Old school!

I wish I was younger, to learn some of those machining skills!

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
Klaus was quite a guy.
"Klaus" was the safe bet.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.