Author Topic: 44 Special loads for Contender  (Read 567 times)

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
44 Special loads for Contender
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:46:25 AM »
After shooting a 357 Max Contender for many years with great success, I recently bought a Bullberry 44 special barrel to play with and a change of pace for deer hunting. Having an 8" barrel would be easier and lighter to carry in a belt holster.

Never really paid much attention to book loads for this caliber. So in checking my load manuals I have come to realize those loads are all wimpy loads designed for revolvers. Quite a bit of info on stout cast bullets (like Elmer Keith's load.) but not much for jacketed  bullets in the 180 to 240 Gr. range over 1000 FPS.

So my question, being the Contender is strong enough to shoot 44 Mags, just how far can you push the Special past max book loads. I'm not looking to match 44 mag performance just kind of in between high end specials and  Mags.
Would appreciate your suggestions and experience with some loads you have used or have knowledge of.
Thanks, tc

The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline zero

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 44 Special loads for Contender
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:19:20 AM »
I have no doubt that the gun is strong enough, but i would have a bit of a holdup on the brass. Most high end loads are near the top of what the brass is strong enough to handle. I would just start with the book loads for it, use on of the slower end powders and work up slowly

Is it that the barrel is chambered for 44 special or 44 mag? If it's chambered for 44 special i don't know if i'd push the envelope too much, it might just be chambered for 44 special pressures. I don't know much about TCs. Have you checked to see what kind of seating depth you can get away with? The smaller case capacity of the special will start to magnify the pressure even past mag levels after a certain point

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »
I have no doubt that the gun is strong enough, but i would have a bit of a holdup on the brass. Most high end loads are near the top of what the brass is strong enough to handle. I would just start with the book loads for it, use on of the slower end powders and work up slowly

Is it that the barrel is chambered for 44 special or 44 mag? If it's chambered for 44 special i don't know if i'd push the envelope too much, it might just be chambered for 44 special pressures. I don't know much about TCs. Have you checked to see what kind of seating depth you can get away with? The smaller case capacity of the special will start to magnify the pressure even past mag levels after a certain point
It is a Bullberry barrel and is chambered for 44 Special, not Mag.My thought is I would start with 16.0 grs of 2400 with a 210 gr Sierra HP bullet and work from there. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Have several different book loads to try, mainly for preliminary sighting in and get a feel for the gun. Working with 180, 200 and 210 gr bullets and Unique, 2400, HS-6 and Power Pistol, which is all I have on hand, not much available to buy right now.
Looking for a good accurate hunting load. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »
  When you look at SAMMI specs for the 44 SPL and the 44 Mag the 44 SPL shows a max  OAL of 1.615" and for the Magnum it's 1.610 . I have a break action rifle thats chambered in 44 SPL and it will allow me to load very long / heavy bullets without touching the lands.
 Modern 44 SPL brass is just as strong as 44 mag brass so thats not a issue. If your contender will allow you to chamber a loaded cartridge ( 44 spl case ) with the same bullet and same OAL of a book load for a 44 mag it will be safe. Some of the Hornady bullets in 44 cal. like the 265 gr. FP and the 300 gr. XTP have 2 crimp grooves on them and you will find if you use a 44 spl case and crimp those bullets on the lower crimp groove they will measure the same as a 44 mag loaded with the same bullet crimped in the upper groove.
  In my rifle I can shoot 44 spl casings loaded with 340 gr. FNGC cast with a full case of Lil Gun with no pressure signs what so ever and the fired cases will fall out of the chamber by just tipping the barrel upwards, and that load would kill most anything at close range.
  jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline zero

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:55 AM »
I'm all for experimenting, just know to go slow past book loads. If you ever try getting into 44 mag levels, go slow, and make sure to seat the bullets out so the internal case capacity is the same as in a mag case to avoid pressure spikes

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
My first test loads have shown me one thing, this barrel is very accurate. Of the loads I have tested so far Unique has been very consistent and the most accurate with moderate loads. Waiting for a half ways warm day to chrono some to see where I'm at in velocity. I was shooting only at 50 Yds but getting some cloverleafs with a couple of loads. I must admit I really didn't expect that kind of accuracy out of the 44 special.
The 357 Max may be sitting at home come deer season. :)

Thomas Jefferson