Author Topic: Hevi-Shot in a Pardner  (Read 617 times)

Offline Eagle Scout

• Trade Count: (0)
Hevi-Shot in a Pardner
« on: February 16, 2004, 12:04:18 PM »
Howdy Boys,

I've been browsing this website for about two weeks now (since H & R and Marlin's attorneys advised them to kill the talk forums, #<&^!@* lawyers), I really like this site.  Most of you probably don't know me because I did not post on the other site very often, but I read it daily, so I was glad when Graybeard welcomed us with open arms.

Anyway my question is, will shooting Hevi-Shot through a SB1 Pardner 12 ga. full choke damage the barrell? I am still looking for a good turkey gun and I am running out of time, Spring Season opens April 19!  I already have a Steven's Model 94 that my wife has laid claim to so I might have to hunt with my bow :shock: , though I don't mind letting her use the Steven's, she has become my best huntin' buddy.

Thanks for you your help guys and I hope to continue (start) the fellowship!

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Hevi-Shot in a Pardner
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:46:57 PM »
well i for one use it in a NWTF 12ga with a fixed full, and have had no problems at all. and i got to make one point, it would take ALOT of shooting to ever open the choke up at all, but if it ever did, for another $38 you can have a brand new full choke barrel from H&R. i dont think it will do any damage myself. and if it ever did, i would just buy a new barrel. its not dangerous at all to shoot it, so i would go for it and not worry.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
Hevi-Shot in a Pardner
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 01:50:46 PM »
VC is right.Nothing wrong with shooting Hevi-shot through your gun.Two boxes of ten cost more than a new barrel. I would definity pattern it though since I remember alot of talk about different guns patternig Hevi-shot a little differently. I never patterned my 870 but I know it was shooting a tighter pattern with hevi-shot.I give the advice about patterning but I never seem to get around to doing it myself. I haven't got into turkey hunting yet though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Hevi-Shot in a Pardner
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 05:06:07 PM »
I never patterned hevi-shot because it is just to expensive to shoot patterning. :)

Like was stated earlier if your barrel goes, no big deal you can always get a replacement.  Especially for Turkey hunting.  Not too many shots needed for Mr. Tom (at least I hope not).

I have been a HUGE fan of hevi shot for the last two years.  We have gone through about four of five cases in that time period and have not had one problem with our gun barrels.  The only problem is the $$$ of the shells, but that is one sacrifice I am willing to make (my wife feels different).

I remember the "good ole days" of lead shot for waterfowl and this stuff is better.  We drop Canadas, Speck's and Snow's with no problem.  I have never used it for turkey but I assume it is just as effective.

The only thing I find is a problem is too much confidence in the stuff.  I catch myself trying for too far of a shot because of its effectivness.  I have to really watch my ethics and take only the good shots.

And to answer your first question, No I am not a stock holder in Remington and just telling you this so you will by the stuff.   :-D

Good shooting.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline jeff223

Hevi-Shot in a Pardner
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 03:06:01 AM »
if i ever find some #6 hevi shot in 10ga i will try it in my 10ga.i will shoot it through NEFs choke tube and then through my Comp n Choke xxxfull.i here they have hevi shot (turkey load) in 10ga this year but havnt seen it yet.

Offline Eagle Scout

Hevi-Shot in a Pardner
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 07:35:27 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!