Author Topic: Ultra Varmint Stock set question  (Read 381 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Ultra Varmint Stock set question
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »
How does the ultra varmint stock do in a traditional rifle rest?  Do you need to use a bipod or sand bags?

Offline gcrank1

Re: Ultra Varmint Stock set question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:06 AM »
Most guys going for accuracy seem to be using the hinge point at the action front for the rest, so the forestock is of not much consequence The heavy lam. wood of my UV makes for a heavier rifle, this less twitchy I think and the shape of the MC buttstock is a nice straightline recoil.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:47:54 AM »
My bad, I should have clarified the Choate stock not the laminated Boyds.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »
Mines not Boyd's either, its the H&R (NEF) cin. lam., MC c/w PG. Ive since put it on my UH 45-70 and it handles the recoil impuse nicely and plants 'em where Im lookin'.
Similar architecture should have similar attributes.
IIRC many of those who have tried bipods have had some issues, and the 'traditional' more forward front rest position on a bench hasnt done well.
I typically start with a front rest (well settled into a softish bag) where my hand position will be for a field gun. Any farther forward will tell me little, then I shoot groups moving back toward the receiver by about 2" at a time to see if there is a sweet spot for me. The thing to bear in mind about the rest at the hinge point is the way a little movement at the shoulder steers the muzzle A LOT.
My offhand 'schuetzen' hold has me in a 'finger rest' position with my thumb back by the spacer and rest fingers comfortably stretched forward to support the rifle weight and the back of my upper arm rested down along my ribcage (this is a very solid and repeatable position). So basically this is where I would use a front rest on the bench and it has a POI similar (though always some different between bench and offhand). For my hunting guns I typically use a front rest behind the forestock screw. Depending on my position in the field conditions this is close to where I tend to hold front.
If you are using a toe bag in back that can become an art and science all its own to as to hold you place it, settle the gun in, squeeze it to make elev. changes, etc.; then there is the trigger arm elbow, where it goes to be repeatable every time. A heavy block with a bag to butt my elbow against works well for me.
Then trigger squeeze; are you going to use a wrist hold, thumb over or along the side, or use the pinch technique (thumb at rear of triggerguard and forefinger on trigger, then pinch to letoff).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »
If you mean the Choate Varmint stock, I haven't used my 22-250 in a rest since it's made for a bipod, I made it shoot good with a bipod by floating the barrel as much as possible by sanding and shims, groups were just under an inch @ 100yds after making the changes.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:28 AM »
Thanks Tim, I thought it would probably require a bipod.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
I have owned two of the Choate Varmint stocks on a .223 and .243 and they can be bipod mounted, but they certainly do not "require" a bipod... I have not always been completely happy with the accuracy of bipod mounted firearms... and can almost always achieve better accuracy when mounted in various bag combinations... having said this, when shooting off the truck hood I am usually using a bipod, so I do check POI using a bipod with all guns that may be hood mounted at some point. With the Choate stock a rear bag is not required so I shot those with a front bag only, and snuggled the receiver into the bag as much as possible (just forward of the TG)... I found my best accuracy this way.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

I don't think it requires a bipod, it's just a nice feature and wanted to utilize it. It's the only H&R I use a bipod on, for all other bench shooting I use the Leadsled DFT or a rear bag and a Rock Jr or Rock BR depending how many rifles I take and how much I want to pack down into the pit....and more importantly back out again!  :-X  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »
Require was probably a poor word choice and me thinking out loud.  My rest supports the stock behind the pistol grip which I don't think will work with the varmint stock given it's flat and not angled.  So I'd have to go with a bipod or sand bags.