Author Topic: Barrel length ?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline PKnTX

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel length ?
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
Specifically, in a Ruger Blackhawk 357mag.
4-5/8" verses 6-1/2".

Are there any practical differences in ballistics
or in handling/target acquisition?
Mainly used for range shooting though would
eventually use for some hunting.

Thanks in advance.

Offline spruce

Re: Barrel length ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:57 AM »
With full power .357 loads there is some difference in ballistics, but not what I would call a great difference.  With .38 Specials or light .357 target loads little if any between the two lengths.

Balance or "feel" of the two are noticeably different, just a matter of personal preference.

Longer sight radius is more forgiving in regards to sight alignment, hence for most it's easier to shoot accurately.  Shorter barrel is more convenient to carry.

A .357 with full power loads is LOUD, and the shorter barrel is the loudest.  For me, I would choose the 6 1/2" version, but it just depends on which attributes are more important to you and which feels (and looks) the best to you.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
4-5/8" verses 6-1/2".

Are there any practical differences in ballistics yes , some claim 50 fps for each inch of bbl. loss for shorter gain for longer. I think it depends on bullet fit to the bbl. roughness of bore etc. but it is a difference . If you plan to make shots with in 50 yards both will work . The longer bbl. might get better expansion with HP bullets , maybe.
or in handling/target acquisition? the longer the bbl the better the sights work and the older I get the longer I like my bbls.
eventually use for some hunting.in either case longer to a point is going to have an advantage . But if you plan to carry it in a holster for long the shorter gun would ride easier. so will you shoot more or carry more ?

Thanks in advance.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline PKnTX

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the replies.

This would definatly be more to shoot than carry.
Honestly, I just like the look of the shorter barrel.
But for even a slight edge in performance I'm
probably going to go with the 6-1/2".

Thanks again!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
PKnTX:  Hold on buddy, the 4&5/8s is a great length barrel and depending on heft and feel for you personally, the shorter barrel will give you everything you need.  Heck, we used to shoot 200 yd metallic silhouettes with 4" S&Ws, so you have all you need in the accuracy dept with the shorter barrel and as for ballistics - hey, if I can send a 200 gn cast slug down a 4" tube with enough wallop to knock over a steel ram with a center hit that does not happen with a 158 gn slug, I do not think there is any in performance with the shorter barrel. 

Re: target aquisition - usually the shorter sight radius is better for most folk, which is why most service revolvers and autos had a 4-5" barrel, and balance is very important in that respect.  Since you said you would like to use it for range work mostly I think you will be very satisfied.  The Blackhawk is one of those revolvers that will shoot practically any bullet with enough accuracy to make ya smile. 

And if you like the looks of a shorter barrel, go for it; you will not be sorry.  I lugged around long bbls for a long time and finally had them rebarrelled to shorter lengths and have been a happy camper since.   And for the occasional hunting, which is pretty regular with a handgun, I use a 200 gn cast swc over a Winchester powder charge for anything on 4 feet excep really big bear. The same bullet in 38 spl cases is a ball.  You can almost count the seconds between discharge and the dong on the gong at 100m with that slug in 38 spl loadings.  I would suggest the shorter barrel.  Too much fun not to have.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
I don't know if the shorter barrel would be any kinder on the meat. At 200 yards I would not reccommend the shot. Having said that I would hope that Mikey and Sharonann would get together and resove this concern and report back to us.
BBlessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
The 4 5/8" has always been my choice for Blackhawks, and old models to boot.   Very easy carry and I never saw enough difference hunting big to small game with them to worry about it - actually no difference.  Had better eyes then, so sight rads no problem at all.   Might have been more inclined as I hunted spot and stalk in the Rocky Mountains and their slopes mostly, bumps that were very tall to up and over all day long dragging a big, heavy handgun along.   Why I didn't carry any of my SBH 7.5's more than a few times, the 10.5" bull only once.   And I didn't give up much on effective range without them either.   I carried my shorties cross draw, my current rig custom made with loops for both an OM BH 4 5/8" 357MAG and OM Single Six 5.5" 22MAG that both fit the holster perfectly.   You wouldn't even notice they are there until you need them.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »
well to be sure get a 4 5/8 , a 5 1/2 and a 6 1/2 and enjoy all three . ;)
I tend to like a 5 1/2 but I have not seen a BH in 5 1/2 so I get 4 3/4 .

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:50:25 AM »
I have quite a few BHs and I'm thinking that 5.5" is s great compromise.  I do not feel at all disadvantaged with a 4 3/8th inch.  I buy most of my BHs used so I the barrel length is what's available.  If I have one built, it's 5.5 no matter the caliber.....and....that's because of the way it feels or balances for me rather than any other reason.  Just my 1.3 cents (2 cents pre-obama).
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:43:46 AM »
The longer barrel will be quieter. Your ears will thank you.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
I have never notice the difference in a 4 5/8 vs a 5 1/2 inch gun . One could argure that the longer bbl could take the velosity over the sound barrier causing more noise (louder) in some loads .

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »
Shootall
That is an interesting take----an by saying so I suspose I am hijacking the thread.
Larger does crate more friction and larger and faster creates a lot of friction.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »
short answer is NO.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
Short barrel for me.  ;D 4 & 5/8 is fine. But really it makes no difference anymore since my eyes went south.  ;) actually I carry a shotgun most now days.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »
The majority of the noise comes from the exhausting gas not from the sonic boom of the bullet.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
4-5/8" verses 6-1/2".

Are there any practical differences in ballistics
or in handling/target acquisition?
eventually use for some hunting.

Thanks in advance.

Little longer than the "short answer":

practical differences in ballistics? = NO
practical differences in handling = Yes and No
practical differences in target acquisition = YES

For range shooting and hunting get the 6.5" barrel!!!
    Ray

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
If I was going to shoot and hunt more and carry less I would go with the longer barrel. Longer sight radius is a bit more forgiving. Experience with a pistol is a factor too. I've had both in the past and own both now but my 4" and 4 5/8" guns get 95% of all my time. I guess 45+ years of shooting handguns has helped me be accurate with both. Longer definately was a help in the beginning. I agree with what was said earlier, a 5 1/2" is a good compromise.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline PKnTX

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »
Ended up going with a 6-1/2" for a couple reasons:

Will use exclusively for plinking/target/hunting
but main reason is found one I really like while
money was in my pocket. :)
VERY happy with it, great shooter (revolver, not me).

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »

Some votes for the 5 1/2in length!?  Kool!  :D

However,  'form,  fit,  and  function' are what drive me when selecting the configuration of a piece I pick, and usually in the end equate to whatever beauty I see in it, whether a longgun or HG.

Two facts (already mentioned); longer barrel gives a longer (more forgiving) sight plane as well increase in performance. 

But shorter barrel with roundish-butt or bird's head style would help keep it most smallish and compact if being compact is biggest desire in that wheelgun until its needed.

I should point out though, I am not a Blackhawk owner/fan.  My preferred sidearm-.357 with its incredibly convenient 4" bbl,  is a round-butt Ruger Service Six (in .357, not .38). :)

Unless I'm shooting it at the range, simply resides in a holster 99+ % of the time.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 07:48:44 AM »
Ended up going with a 6-1/2" for a couple reasons:

Will use exclusively for plinking/target/hunting
but main reason is found one I really like while
money was in my pocket. :)
VERY happy with it, great shooter (revolver, not me).

Thanks to all for the feedback!
[/quote