Author Topic: Best Lantaka article I know of  (Read 395 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Best Lantaka article I know of
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:32:04 AM »
A gent from Finland who I think is a member here has been after me for about a year asking me to find this article, well here it is finally.  It was misfiled in my filing cabinet.  I would never have found it if a recent customer hadn't asked for the file on a 6-pounder gun he bought, and this classic article had somehow slipped into that large file.
http://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/moro-mini-cannon-by-pat-badillo.pdf

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Best Lantaka article I know of
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:07:06 AM »
I saw one of these in a local (Denver) gun shop that has one of these . I looked alot like the big gun in your photo .

It is mounted on a swivel fork and mounted on a large 'bed' or sled, it is very ornate .

Good artical, it sounds like there is an awful lot we don't about these things.

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline steelcharge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Best Lantaka article I know of
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:19:27 AM »
That was me who's been bothering you about that article for some time.
Although I got the Guns & Ammo magazine, where this is from, couple months ago, thanks for posting it anyway.
IMO, there's a better article titled "Swivel Guns of Southeast Asia" or something, in some old Gun Digest magazine.
The GD one is much longer with more info on types, sizes, origins etc and has many many more photos in it.
I have also  a small "booklet" titled "Brunei Cannon" which is also very good one, but not really for general info on lantakas since it concentrates only on Brunei made ones. There's also a book called "The Keris and other Malay Weapons" which has a part on lantakas (possibly other malay cannons too) but I haven't got that (yet) so I can't say if it's any good.