Author Topic: Mercury recoil reducers  (Read 2074 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Mercury recoil reducers
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
We have talked about the C&H recoil reducer from MPC Sports here before, but has anybody tried the "Graco BreakO?"   ???

The Graco is $9 more but the shipping on the C&H may eat up the difference.  That is since I can order the Greco from my normal supplier when I get other stuff.

So I guess it boils down to which is better?   :-\ Any thoughts?   ???

I already have the stock bolt hole filled with lead, but I need all the help with that 510 Sharps Express I can get!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Mercury recoil reducers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
Richard, It all boils down ta one thing:   "If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough." ;) 8)

Didn't yer Mom tell ya that? ???

I couldn't resist it. :-[

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline jparedes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Mercury recoil reducers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »
I have the Mercury Recoil Reducer in my 47-70.  It now weights 9.2 lbs., but it certainly allows me to shoot 30 to 50 times in a session without beating me up.
This week I have been setting up my new 30-30AI and today in the morning I filled the stock bolt hole with $5.00 worth of Nickels and buffered both ends with plugs of leather.  It weights now 9.0 lbs.  I will reduce the amount of Nickels later on, but for now, I want to ask my wife to try it and the softer the perceived kick the better will be so I won't scare her away.  Going to the range tomorrow morning.

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »
While I have a C&H in my S&W I Bolt, I am unfamiliar with the Graco BreakO.

However, based on the name alone, I would say the cost differential was inconsequential and, regardless of whether it's effective, it's a MUST HAVE.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
Richard-

Never shot a gun with a mercury recoil reducer, but did have a friend who had one (Don't know the exact make) in his single barrel 12 ga trap gun.  He said it helped with the recoil, but gave it kind of a double shuffle recoil, a little like the feel of a Browning Auto-5 long recoil action.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
"If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough." ;) 8)

Well Pete ol' hoss, I ain't never been real scared of recoil, but that 50-140 rattles my teeth almost as much as a 12 ga. 3.5 inch turkey load off the bench!  And I ain't no masochist!   ;D

Now, with the lead in the stock my Handi is right at 10 lbs.  Even with the 28 inch barrel it's a little butt heavy.  I sure would like to put the mercury recoil reducer in the forend.   :-\  What cha thin?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
As I recall the original 50-140 weighted about 20 lbs. and was considered a "mild shooter".  Good luck!  ;)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
I do not recall having ever heard of such a thing installed in the front end, but then I havent heard it all.
When I was messing about with how to tame Ol' Ugly Overkill', the vicious kicking 12ga. slug gun, I search out a bunch of info online and was not sold on the concept for the prices asked. I tried lead (way butt heavy) and even a homemade spring loaded steel insert (MC valve spring and hot rolled round stock) and the latter was the better of the two. Then BB sent me the old H&R shell carrier buttstock (holds two rounds in reserve in an enlarged stockbolt hole) with a spring and shorter steel slug AND recoil pad. I also read up on shooting big-bore double rifles and the technique best utilized and do OK now. I think I must still disclose that I WILL NOT shoot this off the bench with me behind it.
I believe that a big reason the Brits went to the lighter bullet for caliber in Nitro Express cartridges is that with the increase velo's attainable with smokeless that the traditional big heavies were just too much for most mortals.
Now, Richard, I know you once were a close cousin to a Greek god, but you have softened up a bit what with 'your indulgences' and all through the years. I can understand with your background why 'Mercury' would sound attractive to you, but lets get back down to earth.
Its a 50-140......WHAT were you thinkin'?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
didn't brownells at one time have
a "slim" mercury-filled recoil reducer
made just for putting in the forward
portion of the stocks
of bolt action rifles?

wouldn't that do what you want?

if you can find one for sale, i use
the old mercury-filled stabilzers
on my bows. maybe you could adapt one.
another option?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
 With my (adequate) understanding of physics, I can't see how a mercury-filled dampener could work better than a solid, fixed insert of the same weight.

If anyone can 'splain to me why one would be more effective, I'd sure appreciate it.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:16 AM »
you have softened up a bit what with 'your indulgences' and all through the years.

SAY WHAT!?   >:(   ;D 

Its a 50-140......WHAT were you thinkin'?

Well,  :-\  It seemed like a good idea at the time...  :-[  But that's what I get for hanging around with the wrong crowd.   :(  Tim has always been a bad influence on me and has led me astray more then once!   ::)

didn't brownells at one time have a "slim" mercury-filled recoil reducer made just for putting in the forward portion of the stocks

I checked Brownell's but didn't see anything like that but I wasn't really looking for it either.  Thanks for the tip... and the bow stabilizer also!  ;D

If anyone can 'splain to me why one would be more effective, I'd sure appreciate it.

Ya know, I don't understand it either!   ???   
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 04:46:59 AM »
Didn't another member add weight to the forend & it broke off?  Thought I seen a post about that.
We can skin a buck we can run a trot line & a country boy can survive

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:53:14 AM »
Didn't another member add weight to the forend & it broke off?  Thought I seen a post about that.

Yup, there's a warning in the FAQs on it, the forend stud isn't attached all that good....

A work around would be to drill and tap the base of the stud/barrel and add a couple screws, I've done this, it takes some small headed screws, but works.  ;) A fella could weld it too I suppose with the right type welder.

Tim

CAUTION ON ADDING WEIGHT TO THE FOREND
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »
Or just 'Man Up'  :o :P ::) and take it!
Really, using some techniques for shooting heavy kickers did as much for me as anything, like Dont Shoot Off the Bench but offhand so your body can roll with the recoil.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Most good actors have a double that do their dirty work. ;D ;D ;D
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
Most good actors have a double that do their dirty work. ;D ;D ;D

That's going to be one real starving artist to take this gig. :o

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »
Richard, it seems to me the easy way out would be to simply cast a lead stock set 8)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:03 AM »

Didn't another member add weight to the forend & it broke off?

I remember and thought of that.  But, in my current "sharp as a rock" state, I says to myself, "self... just back the reducer up to the frame and it will absorb the recoil induced pressure!"  The fact, well known to me, that the force will be in the opposite direction of the recoil didn't dawn on me until last night...  :-[

Yup, ... drill and tap the base of the stud/barrel and add a couple screws, I've done this, it takes some small headed screws, but works.

Now there's a thought I'd forgotten!   :o  And if Tim says it works it's a viable possability.  I guess I'll wait 'till I get the stock and forearm from a former site sponsor.  The (walnut) forarm will be in the English heavy single shot style so I'll have to wait and see how much room I have.   :-\  Or just add it to the stock instead...  ::)

Or just 'Man Up' ... Don't Shoot Off the Bench

Now, I hate to rain on your, and Ten Ring's and YRUpunting's, parade,  ::)   ;)  but I have shot 10 or 12 rounds off the bench trying to sight in a scope.  I don't think the recoil was as bad as my 3.5 inch 12 gauge!   :o  But then I was only shooting 450 gr. jacketed - 470 gr. cast bullets at around 2K fps.   :-\  I've gotten nowhere near Tim's 570 gr. jacketed @ 2200 fps load!   ::)  I figure the only time I'll do that is when I regulate the express sights!  I'm even willing to dispense with load development on that one!   ;D

simply cast a lead stock set 8)

Ah!  Leave it to Pete to come up with the ultimately practical, impractical solution!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bstarling

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
A few years ago, I built my version of this device. http://www.instructables.com/id/Recoil-Reducer/ Actually, it seems to extend the recoil force over a bit longer period of time and lessens the intensity of the shock. Mine was much shorter than the one in the article and made using 3/4 hard copper. I made a piston from a hunk of lead filled steel and dampened it with ATF. I'ts on a 35 Whelen shooting full house 250 grain bullets and has notably less recoil, by far than my 8mm mauser shooting 150 grain loads.

Bill

LINK: [size=78%] [/size]http://www.instructables.com/id/Recoil-Reducer/

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
I shot a 50 BMG once  that has gas piston dampeners to absorb recoil.  It only hurt a little that way......sorta like a baseball bat to the shoulder.  So you could just order a stock from Barrett...not much difference in your gun and his otherwise..

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »
I have one in my Mauser scout rifle.Even with my bad shoulder it makes shooting full house 308's comfortable, and since i usually shoot surplus 7.62x51 I can actually enjoy shooting it.  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 06:22:36 AM »
Richard,

Just shoot trail boss in your 510 AtlLaw Express.  Recoil problem will be solved and you will still get the big boolit "WOW" factor from anybody watchin' you shoot.  Keep a hot load or two available in case some "range pest" wants to shoot your big boomer. ;)

BTW, I would very much like to see your 510AE at the Ohio Spring Shoot.  Will it fit crossways on your handlebars. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
I would very much like to see your 510AE at the Ohio Spring Shoot.  Will it fit crossways on your handlebars. ;D

Ah Tom... Great minds think alike!   ;D  I was thinking that would be the one rifle I would be sure to bring!   ;)

Unfortunately:
a) I wouldn't make that trip on a bike anymore.   :-\  Even if I could see outa both eyes! and
b) I'm meeting more resistance from Kathie then I anticipated.   :(  Still working on it though!   ;)  I can't wait till I'm grown and can make my own decisions!   ::) :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
Tell her its her vacation from you?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
Tell her its her vacation from you?

Why heck no!  ::)   She'd come also!  Mostly because she'd have to drive after dark...  Or if I'd been over served... I think that's what she's worried about...  :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
I would very much like to see your 510AE at the Ohio Spring Shoot.  Will it fit crossways on your handlebars. ;D

Ah Tom... Great minds think alike!   ;D  I was thinking that would be the one rifle I would be sure to bring!   ;)

Unfortunately:
a) I wouldn't make that trip on a bike anymore.   :-\  Even if I could see outa both eyes! and
b) I'm meeting more resistance from Kathie then I anticipated.   :(  Still working on it though!   ;)  I can't wait till I'm grown and can make my own decisions!   ::) :D

Richard,

Growing up is way overrated.  I personally believe that once I accepted being immature all my problems went away, but I don't think the same can be said for my friends and family. ;)
I was in the Navy and am no familiar with your army terminology.  What does "over served" mean? ;D

Will it help your case if I bring pulled pork, slaw and sweet tea?

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
"over served" is a politically correct term for  we used to call shi* faced drunk ::)
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
"over served" is a politically correct term for  we used to call shi* faced drunk ::)

Jeep,

In Navyese that translates into "three sheets to the wind".  I can't tell you how I know that. ;D

BB

Hey, this might be a record, almost 30 responses and we never once strayed off topic. :o

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
My Daddy always said "three sheets to the wind!"  He was in the Navy in WWI.  Got torpedoed off France in '17 or '18...  Can't remember which.  :-\  He told me about it once... when he was three... well, you know... ;)

Anyway, I am still bugging Kathie about coming to the shoot.  Just this afternoon as a matter of fact.  Her reaction was, well, luke warm to say the least.   ::)  Do ya think I ought to put my foot down and say "WOMAN!  I'm going. (period) You can come if you want!   >:(

???
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
If you tell her like you typed it you may need anouther type of recoil buffer.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag