Author Topic: RCBS .45-70 Cast 405's  (Read 891 times)

Offline evan1395

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • If you're gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be tough!
RCBS .45-70 Cast 405's
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:07:08 AM »
SO I saw these online...
http://www.westernbullet.com/rc45gr1.html

Has anyone ever used them?
So far for my load data, I got 2 real good powder measures I like for the 405 grain flat nose loads. I intend on using H4198 under these slugs. Good or bad?
So my first mild load would be 31.0g of H4198 which will project these at 1,495fps. Intended for my "plinking" load.
My 2nd (bit more powerful) load would be 50.0g of H4198 which will send these down range at around 2,000fps. Which if I start to hunt this year, would be a large game load.
Since I have yet to recieve my reloading manual in the mail, I cannot double check these for reference. But does this sound about right to you guys? Like I said, I'd really like to stick to one specific (or two) load data's with these 405'.
Oh, what is the difference in "Gas Checked" and non "Gas Checked" Bullets? Will this affect reloading data?
Thanks,
Evan

This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: RCBS .45-70 Cast 405's
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »
Boy young-un , your realy a glutton for punishment  :o 

The 31grain load will do just about anything you need , unless your going after BIG brown bears  ::) :-\  and as far as plain based or GC'ed there is no real reason you would need the checked bullets , granted I do shoot some GC's but only in Mag pistols were the checks do help control leading at top speeds , for the 45/70 any good plain lead 405 will do just fine .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
Boy young-un , your realy a glutton for punishment  :o 

The 31grain load will do just about anything you need , unless your going after BIG brown bears  ::) :-\  and as far as plain based or GC'ed there is no real reason you would need the checked bullets , granted I do shoot some GC's but only in Mag pistols were the checks do help control leading at top speeds , for the 45/70 any good plain lead 405 will do just fine .

stimpy
Actually my intentions this year when I do start hunting, is to take my first California Black bear, which is why I was curious about that hotter load. Not saying I will be shooting these contantly, just wondering. You think that lighter load at 1,400-1,500 fps would be my ideal load?
Unless I plan on going upto Alaska and taking a Kodiak or something I suppose there really is no need for a hot load like that, you are correct :D
I'm still young, as are my shoulders. I know after years of shooting a hot load like that would really put a damper on there everyday comfortability. But just to load a few up and let some buddies fire them, I think it would be fun :P
Mind explaining the purpose of a Gas check Stimpy?

This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
Evan

The gas check is designed to do just what its name implys , protect the bottom of the bullet from the hot gasses that can cut & deform the base of the bullet , this will help in 2 areas , one it cuts down on leading from the melted lead smearing on the inside of the barrel , causing accur issues , and 2nd it lets the bullet be pushed at a hotter level ( kinda like Jacketed bullets )

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
So, not really intended for lighter loads?
Are there any downfalls/side effects to using gas checked bullets if it is not really needed?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 07:36:26 AM »
Are there any downfalls/side effects to using gas checked bullets if it is not really needed?

No real down side other than price , why spend more money than you have too , just get PB bullets and shoot twice as much  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »

No real down side other than price , why spend more money than you have too , just get PB bullets and shoot twice as much  ;D

stimpy

PB Bullets? Keep in mind i'm still a novice.
I asked this in another thread, but no one answered. Are those .459" Oregon Trail 405's going to fire ok through my Handi Barrel and reload fine in my Lee Reloader Kit?
I noticed many .45-70 bullets are .458".

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »
PB = Plain Base

The .459's will do well in the Handi , as a rule of thumb , cast bullets should be sized one size over anyhow , some of the older rifles ( like the older Sharp's )  need a .460 or even a .461 .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »
PB = Plain Base

The .459's will do well in the Handi , as a rule of thumb , cast bullets should be sized one size over anyhow , some of the older rifles ( like the older Sharp's )  need a .460 or even a .461 .

stimpy

Good to know Stimpy. Thanks again for all the info. I knwo I will learn more when I finally obtain my manual. However I hope you don't mind if sometime in the future when I need something you get a message or two from me!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
If you get in over your head just hit the PM button  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »
If you get in over your head just hit the PM button  ;)

stimpy

Appreciate it all Stimpy!

Offline shot1

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:00:22 AM »
A 405 gr bullet at 1400 fps will duplicate the old black powder load. I will shoot completely through most any animal in North America from any direction. Keep in mind that cast bullets don't kill in the same manner as jacketed expanding bullets. Cast kills by drilling a caliber size hole through things needed to live like heart, lungs ect. They also work great for breaking bone and keeping on going. Jacketed expands and tears bigger holes in things needed to live and also imparts more hydro shock which does damage to things needed to live even though they are not touched by the bullet. In my many years of experience using both bullets I have found that jacketed expanding bullets put game down quicker than cast does with same bullet placement. Though both kill quite well just be aware that with cast you may have to track your game a little farther because it takes longer for them to bleed out. If you are going to shoot black bear shoot it in the shoulder preferably through both shoulder to break it down. This will also get the lungs.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »
A 405 gr bullet at 1400 fps will duplicate the old black powder load. I will shoot completely through most any animal in North America from any direction. Keep in mind that cast bullets don't kill in the same manner as jacketed expanding bullets. Cast kills by drilling a caliber size hole through things needed to live like heart, lungs ect. They also work great for breaking bone and keeping on going. Jacketed expands and tears bigger holes in things needed to live and also imparts more hydro shock which does damage to things needed to live even though they are not touched by the bullet. In my many years of experience using both bullets I have found that jacketed expanding bullets put game down quicker than cast does with same bullet placement. Though both kill quite well just be aware that with cast you may have to track your game a little farther because it takes longer for them to bleed out. If you are going to shoot black bear shoot it in the shoulder preferably through both shoulder to break it down. This will also get the lungs.
Thanks for the info man. For the time being (until I do start to hunt) I just want a nice big target load. The 405's seem like a good one for me. Love the look of a big nasty slug sitting at the top of the casing, I love even more what they do to objects I choose to shoot them at :P
I CANNOT wait to take my first black bear this year :D