Author Topic: Get your kids involved  (Read 597 times)

Offline nightstalker

• Trade Count: (0)
Get your kids involved
« on: February 16, 2004, 03:30:02 PM »
Gentman.  The future of shooting is in our children and the only way to preserve that future is for us to teach our kids what we know.  If you don't have kids borrow some.  Contact your local 4-h Club and donate some of your time to their exellent shooting sports program.  If you have kids a NEF sporter in >22 lr or a youth model 20 ga shotgun will teach then a level of responsibility that nothing else will. :-)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Get your kids involved
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 04:49:04 PM »
Great suggestion.

I heard a quote on a hunting show a few weeks ago that kind of stuck with me.  It was "if you take your kids hunting, you won't be hunting for your kids".

I hope it works because my kids go with me. :grin:
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline buckenbass

• Avid Poster
Get your kids involved
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 07:16:57 PM »
At what age do you start taking them out ..
I have yet been able to shoot a 3 shot sub 1" group at 100 yards ...........on any deer!!!!!!

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Get your kids involved
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 11:45:42 PM »
buckenbass  Youngens vary at what age you take them out, Some are ready at 4 or 5 others take longer, It depends on how much you
Let them help reload and such, but also how they are interested in hunting. the younger you start the better just my 2 1/2 cents. good luck
Marv.

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Get your kids involved
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 01:33:14 AM »
my oldest was 8 when he started going out with me, and my middle will be ready alittle sooner i think. now i did not start out with deer or coyote at midnight. i started on small game ie: squirrel, ground hog, partridge, and a little rabbit hunting w/o dogs. i want my kids to learn the way of the woods, not just how to shoot and kill animals. there is alot to hunting that some people never learn, and i dont want my kids to turn out like that.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Cracker

Get your kids involved
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 02:20:43 AM »
I took my 7 year old daughter squirrel hunting this year.  She loved it.  She just walked along with dad and we were only out about 2 hours.  It also was a warm day.  We got a squirell with the old H&R 20 Ga.  Now she jumped a little bit when I shot, but she was real excited to see the squirrel.  My kids also love to watch hunting shows.  I just learned this, because I have three kids, oldest one 7.  So I don't watch much television, but a guy let me borrow a muzzleloader hunting video.  My kids were captivated for 45 minutes.  My daughter was even telling me which hunts she liked best.  I was amazed.  Of course I know she doesn't like watching the gutting part, but she told me she would like to shoot.  So, my parents are giving her a Daisy Red Ryder (I know, I will shoot my eye out) for her 8th birthday.  I believe by her 9 birthday I will be getting a youth 22.

Now my 5 year old son I will still wait till he is 7 to take him out.  Still not ready.

It should be fun.  In a couple years I won't get the first shot anymore at the deer, which will be OK with me.

Cracker

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
Get your kids involved
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »
I have a 5 year old that will be 6 in Sept. and a 3 year old that will be 4 next month. They love the outdoors. It seems they can not get enough. I guess bow hunting for me will be reserved for the really cold days when they can not go. Which is fine with me. I still remember 2 years ago my oldest was 4. It was October 2002. I took him squirrel hunting and he got to use the squirrel call. We did not shoot a squirrel that day but it was one of the finest days that I was ever in the woods. You should have seen the smile on his face. PRICELESS This spring we will try our hand at turkey hunting from a ground blind. If I get a turkey good if not we will still have a great time. Then we will start building the deer hunting tower. For those cold days when they can not be outside we can set inside with a portable heater. Man I can not waite.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Get your kids involved
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 09:52:53 AM »
Good posts guys. The H+R/NEF guns and kids are perfect for each other. A great starter gun that's available as a youth model and can have a full size stock added later. It's the easiest gun to learn on and very safe. Our kids are the future voters of America, and if we allow the schools and their anti-gun propaganda to take hold, we only have ourselves to blame. There are great shooting activities for kids from the NRA, to Boy Scouts of America. Hunting is just one of our options in teaching them to honor and cherish the gun owning traditions of America. In sharing your love of shooting, you also get to spend a lot of quality time with your kids, and it's something that you will be able to share with them even when they're older.
Don

Offline nightstalker

age to get kids in the woods
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 03:53:09 PM »
I waited till my son was 6-weeks old before the first time I took him on one of my woods walks.  Mama wasn't realy pleased about this but I thought it would be ok.  Now he is 9 years old and spends every moment he can in the woods.  I have started requiring him to carry his nef 20 guage when he goes by himself.  We have had a problem with wild dogs that were droped here.  I also have a 3 year old girl thats rougher than most any boy I have ever seen.  My kids like video games when the weather is bad, but during good weather they might as well not have a video game or a tv.  A good way to accident proof your kid from firearms is if they want to see then at any age unload it and let them hold it.  Teach them about not pointing it at anyone or anything they don't want to shoot.  If you take the curiosity out of something and explain the dangers and uses of it kids are less likely to hurt themselves or others.

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Get your kids involved
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 07:11:14 PM »
I started my son out with a spring piston air rifle when he was 10.  I told him that when he proved to me that he could be responsible with it, I would get him a shotgun and/or a 22LR.  I had so much fun with his spring piston air rifle that I had to get one for myself.  He'll be 12 in June and he took his hunter safety class this winter.  I was so proud of him that I went a little crazy...so we now have three Pardners (410, 20, and 12 gauge) and three Sportsters (22LR, 22WMR, and 17HMR).  I really like the single shot concept for teaching kids how to shoot/hunt because of the obvious safety reasons and because it teaches them to make that first shot count.  I can't wait for spring!

buckenbass,  Marv is right, every kid is different.  You know your child best.  I've always tried to keep it fun whatever we're doing (shooting, hunting, fishing, etc).  When we're fishing...he's the captain...and when we're in the woods...he's the guide.  As difficult as it's been at times, when my young one says "I want to go home"...the trip is over.  I know guys who don't like to fish/hunt today becasue their fathers forced them to "have fun" when they were younger.

Good luck, have fun, and most of all...be safe.

Moonlitin

Offline buckenbass

• Avid Poster
Get your kids involved
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 03:19:29 AM »
nightstalker Thanks for your post I needed someone crazier then me befor I posted agien.  
I have two girls a two year old and a three year old ..
I was not going to start them around guns untill around 5 or 6 depending on there matureity level ..Well I think my two year old will be ready around 5 or 6.. BUT my three year old when she was two she had the maturity level of a five year old and lately she is Amazing me.. She is buging me that she wants to go hunting and she wants to go shooting..I tell her you need to be ten to hunting and five to go shooting ,but I'm rethinking the shooting part of it. I think she can handel setting on my lap and shooting a 22 for a short period of time...
So this summer depending on her I might give it a try

Bad father???
I have yet been able to shoot a 3 shot sub 1" group at 100 yards ...........on any deer!!!!!!

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Get your kids involved
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 03:58:40 AM »
I think she can handel setting on my lap and shooting a 22 for a short period of time... So this summer depending on her I might give it a try

Bad father???

I don't think so...
I can remember times when my father would hold his 12 gauge and my brothers and I would take turns "shooting" it.  We were small enough so that he could hold it against his shoulder while we looked down the barrel and reached around to get one little hand on the trigger, and support the forend enough to "aim" with the other.  He absorbed the recoil, while we basically took care of everything else.  We were shooting at stationary targets, but having a ball, and learning some safety and respect for firearms at the same time.  As a kid, it was a lot of fun.  As a father now, I wonder who was really having more fun?

IMHO, A 5 year old is sort of young for the sport of shooting, and I think you'll hear that from others too.  In Michigan, a youngster needs to be 12 and take a hunter safety class to hunt small game with a firearm.  I cringe at the thought of my 7 year old daughter with a firearm.  But, at the same time, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to have her climb in my lap, look through the scope, and squeeze off a few rounds if she wanted to give it a try.  Like I said before...you know your child best.  The response to your question will very greatly depending on it's presentation.  

Anyway, supervision is of primary importance when kids are invlolved, and you already mentioned that.  Keeping it fun ("short periods of time") will keep them wanting to go back for more, and you already mentioned that.  Involving kids when they think they are ready ("depending on her") is also a good thing, and you already mentioned that.

Good father!

Good luck, have fun, and most of all...be safe.

Moonlitin