Author Topic: first shots.  (Read 846 times)

Offline samsonjohn

• Trade Count: (1)
first shots.
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
So I took my 12g modified 28inch barrel out for the first couple of shots twice today.  I must say I love it I was super excited when I was heading out to the field for my first shot since I bought it and I ran into some ground squirrels. I am happy to say the first shot was also the first kill. So I have now shot a box of shells and my field is empty of squirrels. This was over a few hours went out before school shot 8 shells then back with the gf and finished the box off. I don't know if it was cause I was excited but the recoil was butter did not even notice it for the first shot through the eighth. Came back let her shoot it telling her to pull it into her shoulder and it was not that bad. She shot and yelped  so I shot and damn it sure felt like three times harder then in the morning. My should is just a little sore and I am double thinking not getting the recoil pad haha. But I love the gun and its going to be an amazing truck gun.

Been covered before and I have a list I am looking up but wondering what others there might be so what recoil pads are you guys using. I would really prefer not to grind it.

Thanks for reading my ramble.

Offline zero

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: first shots.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:42 PM »
Sounds like fun

In my experience you never hear or feel shots in the field whereas in general shooting they'd kill you. I've still got factory synth stock on my sb2 with 24"(i think) 12 gauge barrel, and it kicks quite solid with field loads. Buckshot tenderizes, turkey loads bruise and slugs remove the forend from my hand. I've always known it to be quite a kicker

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:52:57 AM »
I use the same 28" barrel 12 gauge.  It's actually 27.5" if measured.  I love the balance of it but use low base or 1 oz of shot for hunting to keep the recoil to a decent level.  Mine has a slip-on "Sissy pad" too.

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:28:47 AM »
Congratulations on your new shotgun.

Try some of the Winchester light recoil shells in it for practice shooting.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:25:14 AM »
Wouldnt it be nice to find 2 3/4" 12ga. shells loaded with 7/8oz.! From reading reloader notes it seems lower velo 7/8 and 1oz. loads pattern nicely too. Maybe see if somebody at your local trap & skeet club can load you some of those up.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline samsonjohn

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »
Well been back at it for a while now and I don't know what was going on but I think I was just having a little b**** moment with the recoil I can now say it is not a problem and chuckle at my friends when they shoot it. I think we just needed some bonding time. I have now gone to the trap range and shot over 100 shells a day not a problem with the recoil my ejector was starting to stick however but after 100 rounds that day I just figures it was getting gummed up. Good cleaning seams to have done the trick. I Am super happy with it am in contact with some one about an sb2 received right now and will more then likely be adding that with a 30-06 and and the 28 inch vent rib screw in choke 12g barrel. To my h&r inventory.

Now I have a random question. Has h&r in the past ever sold a short say sub 20 inch shotgun barrel?

Thanks for reading
John

Offline deputy tom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »
I am really recoil sensitive and have found Limbsaver pads to work quite well for me. They are worth the look. tom.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
get you a past shoulder pad with
the straps and you can use that shooting
any gun when you don't have a thick coat
or layers on. and you'll always have it for
trying someone else's gun if they don't
have a pad on the stock.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .