Author Topic: Canon Lock, and drilling my flash hole  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Indygunworks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Canon Lock, and drilling my flash hole
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:47:49 AM »
Getting some of my other questions ironed out while i wait for my lumber, and my barrel.

I would like to use a lock for simplicity sake so i dont have to try and find friction primers all the time.  The one from dixie gun works looks like it has a really large base which i dont like the looks of, but i found this one while searching for them, but i cannot find the maker or where to order them, or how much they cost.  Also, it looks like it uses a plane percussion cap, will that be enough to set off my chage w/ my barrel as big as it is?  7 1/2 breech diameter w/ a 2 1/4 bore.  I plan on using foil packs for my charges.  possibly mixed with some flower or coffee creamer for a bit more galmour.

Looks like this picture turned out pretty small but i really do like the size of this lock. 

If i use a lock, wouldnt that mean i have to drill my flash hole straight?  I believe i read on here somewhere that its supposed to be drilled at an angle but that would seem like it wouldnt work so well w/ a lock.

Also, i believe it needs to be sleeved.  Does this mean i drill and tap it and screw in a threaded rod w/ the flash hole?  Any pictures of the proccess or explanations would be very helpful.

I guess while we are at it, is there a reccomendation for a starting load and a max load both live fire and w/ blanks as well as powder type?  I dont have any other black powder items besides my inline which uses pyrodex so whatever powder is best for the cannon is what i will stock up on.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Canon Lock, and drilling my flash hole
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Yes, with a gun lock (slap hammer) it would be desirable to have the vent drilled perpendicular to the bore. By the time of our CW almost all the artillery pieces being manufactured had vents that were drilled this way.

The maker of the barrel and lock that you posted a thumbnail of is a member here, but for the life of me, I can't recall his name right now.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Indygunworks

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
Yes, with a gun lock (slap hammer) it would be desirable to have the vent drilled perpendicular to the bore. By the time of our CW almost all the artillery pieces being manufactured had vents that were drilled this way.

The maker of the barrel and lock that you posted a thumbnail of is a member here, but for the life of me, I can't recall his name right now.

So perpendicular is not a safety hazzard... that makes me feel alot better because it will need to be to use the lock.

Does anybody know this guys name?  I dont want to use the dixie gunworks lock and i really like the looks of this one. 

And does anybody have any links to threads where sleeving the flashhole is discussed, i couldnt find any using both the GBO search and google.

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »

Does anybody know this guys name?  I dont want to use the dixie gunworks lock and i really like the looks of this one. 

Uhhh, dat wud be me.......................I have a few pieces (locks) left over from several years ago but don't advertise or offer them for sale until I am a sponsor here............... ;)

Dewayne

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
So that was you, I mean that is you! Okay, just send my commision to my PO Box. Hahaha!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
So that was you, I mean that is you! Okay, just send my commision to my PO Box. Hahaha!

ha ha........................

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
I wanted to buy one of those cannons thru an online dealer a few years back.
It was always "sold out", it has a nice look to it .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
I wanted to buy one of those cannons thru an online dealer a few years back.
It was always "sold out", it has a nice look to it .
Gary

Yea..................................meanwhile this was in my shop while they were "sold out" >:(
When I am ready to start selling again I will do it all directly and not thru other outlets.

Took me 5 years to sell them down, I have only one left.............and it's MINE ;D ;D ;D ;D  I'm thinking about building a 18th century style split trail carriage for it when Im done with my current project.......

Dewayne

Offline Indygunworks

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:34:17 AM »
Any more advice on how to "sleeve" my flash hole?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:55:22 AM »
Look for  Vent liners here on the board.  You definitely need one with the barrel you are getting.

You at one time asked about drilling the vent perpendicular or at an angle.  Drill your vent at an angle forward.  The will allow the gimlet to pierce forward into your cartridge.  If it  the vent hole is straight up and down there is a chance if the foil at the base of the cartridge is a bit thick the gimlet will pierce the base wad and miss the charge. 

The angle forward will not effect how you slap hammer works. The hammer if you are using power stud blanks need to hit on the rim any way.  For musket caps the angle will not be sufficient to cause problems.

Buy the way friction primers are readily available by mail order and should work well with your gun.  If properly constructed you should be able to use friction primers or  power stud blanks with you vent.

Use the  google query format shred provided to search the board:  site:www.gboreloaded.com/forums vent liner

You will get a bunch of hits  including some on the  muzzleloader forums but also on the Cannon board. 

In the K.I.S.S. series of mortars I have made I have drilled a hole down the center of a bolt or socket head cap screw to make a liner.

Here is the Golf ball mortar vent.

Here is the vent on the K.I.S.S. the can pop can mortar.

A sequence on making the vent liner from a socket head capscrew.

This is comparing the socket head cap screw for the pop can mortar and screw to be used in the bowling ball mortar.

Here is a drawing for putting in the vent in for the bowling ball mortar.  This drawing needs modified to indicate that uper part of the vent hole needs clearance drilll for the un thread section of the screw body.

Here is vent detail for a pressure bottle mortar.

This is one way to it. Others, I hope, should be along and share how the did theirs.

What is neat about this board, we have lots of ideas.  We are glad to share.  No one idea may appeal to you.  But how someone did something may trigger a thought in your  mind how solve a problem.  You may take part of how some one did something and part of how some one else did the same thing and come up with your own idea.  What ever you do-share.