Author Topic: Iron sights that mount to rail holes?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Iron sights that mount to rail holes?
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »
Hi guys,

I want to convert my 357 handi to irons. The muzzle needs to be D&T, that's fine. I'd like to avoid D&T theback if possible. Any suggestions on sights that will use the existing holes? Won't make the front sight too high, will it?

Any product like this out there?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Iron sights that mount to rail holes?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
Williams WGRS.

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
The WGRS, the Skinner or Nodak peeps are great, way better than a mid-barrel mounted open sight. The best looking front will be a ramp with appropriate blade or bead rather than a high dovetail sight (which by necessity would be kind of a 'gut-hook' height).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
Hi guys,

I want to convert my 357 handi to irons. The muzzle needs to be D&T, that's fine. I'd like to avoid D&T theback if possible. Any suggestions on sights that will use the existing holes? Won't make the front sight too high, will it?

Any product like this out there?
You went the wrong way with that... the front blade will be too low. You can use a Williams Fire Sight one piece ramp 0.634" to match the Skinner or NDS... The above mentioned peeps mount in the rear two scope mount holes... you can also buy a Marbles dovetail ramp and the blade of your choice.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
So I see the WGRS sights on brownells. Perfect. but the website says its for a 1" diameter barrel. My barrel is 1.11". its still the right part? (WGRS for handi)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »
So I see the WGRS sights on brownells. Perfect. but the website says its for a 1" diameter barrel. My barrel is 1.11". its still the right part? (WGRS for handi)
YES
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »
Williams makes the WGRS sight for many different firearms, see Peep and Firesights in the FAQs sticky for the H&R part number.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »
WGRS for H&R fit perfect on the barrel

but you may need a taller front sight

I put a WGRS on my 45/70  and needed to increase front sight height by a fair bit.

to find out what height you need.

measure the barrel where the rear sight sits divide that by two. 
put the sight slider into its middle of travel, and measure from the middle of the aperture, to the deepest part of the base ( where the screw holes come through )
add that number to the above number.

now measure the muzzle diameter and divide by two.
subtract that number from the above number, and that will give you the aprox height the ramp/insert needs to be above the barrel.

another method, install the rear sight, and move slider to mid travel.

wrap and tape a stiff wire around the muzzle, leaving a tail straight up to act as a front sight.

shoot, cut, shoot, cut, shoot, cut etc until you have the elevation you need to be on target 
( What ever zero you choose )

now measure the height of the wire above the barrel, get a ramp/insert to match that.

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:46 AM »
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline teleman

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »
WGRS for H&R fit perfect on the barrel

but you may need a taller front sight

I put a WGRS on my 45/70  and needed to increase front sight height by a fair bit.

My front sight on my 45-70 is approx .470" to .490" depending on my method of measure. is this too low for a WGRS?
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:26 AM »
Thanks for all the help, guys!

Did some more measuring with rifles already sighted in. Clamped into a vise, aimed at my neighbors garage at 50 yards, and did some caliper measuring.

For the WGRS reciever sight, I need a .6" front sight on my 16 inch barrel. Perfect!

For the inline (Why NOT convert to a reciever sight??) it came stock with a .485" sight. For my load and distance, I have the rear sight beyond the highest setting. So since they are so cheap, I'll buy a .410 sight to fix that problem. And if the reciever sight works out, .485 is probably perfect.

Great!

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »
So Teleman, is your 45/70 sighted in? Do this:

Clamp in a vise, and aim at something you can see easy off in the distance.

Grab your calipers and set to .5 inches. Set that on top of the chamber where the WGRS sight would be mounted. Sight down the .5" height through your existing front sight. Does that get you where you need to be?

I used a ruler for the "rear sight" and a caliper for the front, and just kept adjusting till the POA was where I set it with the previously sighted in sight. For me? .6".

Offline teleman

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
This is my dilemma. my gun is sighted in for the stock Buckhorn and it's adjustment is all the way up.  I am trying to find out if the Peep @ $75 will work before I spend the cash. I reread your instruction and I will try a 1/2" block of wood with my little cat toy laser.
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Lay a long straightedge across the top of the sights you have and see where it ends up at the barrel swell. You will be able to see what height you need the center of the peep to be to be sighted in for where you are now and that with a peep mounted you will need a taller front.
IMHO the peep is worth going to the trouble to upgrade.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline acgill07

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »
What are the practical differences between the skinner and the williams wsgr?  Is the difference mostly cosmetic?  Why choose one over the other?  Thanks for any input.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 04:46:31 AM »
What are the practical differences between the skinner and the williams wsgr?  Is the difference mostly cosmetic?  Why choose one over the other?  Thanks for any input.

The Skinner is blued steel, the Williams is aluminum. The Skinner costs about twice as much as the Williams.  The Skinner adjusts windage by dovetail and elevation by screwing the ring in or out.  The Williams slides for both windage and elevation with a small screw for each that locks your adjustment in place.

I have both and prefer the Williams.  Besides the cost difference the Williams is much easier to adjust and it won't rust.  Although I believe the aperture is steel.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:21 AM »
IMHO, the Nodak and Skinner are classy, though cost more than the Williams, and for all practical purposes you are looking through a hole, so a piece of bent metal with a hole at the right height will do as well as any of them.
You makes yer choice an pays yer money.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special