Author Topic: Who uses their .357 Maxi for also everything in a .38 Spl and standard .357?  (Read 883 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)

Most .357 Maxi owners seem to be enamoured with the bigger longer round. (yes it is a great improvement in .35 performance, but ..... )

But I'm wondering how many such owners still enjoy their rifles just shooting the shorter but still-quite-useful other rounds!  :)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
I don't think I know of anyone who doesn't shoot .38s and mags in their Maxis.  We shoot hundeds and hundreds of .38s in ours, but not as many mags as we shoot maxis.  The reason is we have a ton of .38 brass.  A cheap cast bullet, a primer and a little powder equals lots of sub-sonic fun.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
You do now Pete, never shot em in either of my Maxis, rechambered one to 35 Rem, sold the other.  :-X

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Ya know Tim, ya oughta settle down, get serious and pick up a couple of Handis....you'll like em.  I promise. 

I can't believe that you, the keeper of the reamer no less, and no Maxi in that mob of fifty or so ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???   Now I'm disillusioned. :-\

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
I shoot a bunch of 38's.  cast 125, 158 and 195 gr over 6 gr HS-6.  Very accurate. The grand kids love them and really get involved with the reloading,  however, I dont bother with the Mag end,

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Iffin I had one Im sure Id load Maxi cases ('cause my big, numb fingers like cartridges I can handle) full with Trail Boss and have whatever ballistics that provides for 158gr. cast bullets (and maybe some 180ish for heavies).  I would be reloading anyway, regardless of chambering, so no different for me to use Maxi cases.
Mostly I like having one load per rifle that does what I want rather than messing about with changing POI and sight/scope settings. I have found though, that I usually can have my 'everyday' load and another hotter one that prints 1 to 1 1/2" or so higher at 50yd. and stretches my range out for more serious work. Not much to have to remember in a methodology like that.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline YRUpunting?

I like 38's with platted bullets in mine, don't shoot many 357 Mags.  I use the 38's as plinkers, I don't change my POI from the Maxi rounds. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
I shoot all 3 in mine.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
i still shoot 38  more than the other 2

but  more power is there if needed
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tsalam

• Trade Count: (0)
I just got my 357 Talo. Can someone tell me if 38 +P is ok to shoot in my new baby? Thanks

Offline YRUpunting?

I just got my 357 Talo. Can someone tell me if 38 +P is ok to shoot in my new baby? Thanks

38+P's have around half the pressure of a 357 Mag.

Offline tsalam

Yeah, I thought they would but just wanted to clarify before using. I can find some of them locally where 38 spl and 357 are non-existent on the shelves here.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
My nieces LOVE 38WC's outta my Maxis on tin cans...  They really hit with authority too, sometimes them things charge... The WC knocks the biggest of them FLAT/DRT. ::)

YES, I shoot 38s from my maxis.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
I use 38 Specials in my Maxi. I haven't found any cast 38 loads that are accurate enough yet, I need to experiment some more. I did find that Sierra 140 JHP's over IMR-4227 in a 38 case are real accurate at 25 yards. I sighted in my 180 grain SSP maxi load first and my 38 load hits dead on at 25 yards.

It's Handi to have a quiet 38 load you can take squirrels with while you're out deer hunting. I knocked a red squirrel out of a tree at 35 yards off hand with the factory irons using this 38 load.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Hobie

• Shooting With Hobie
Sincerely,

Hobie

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)

Thanks everyone.

My thoughts in posting this thread ...... Were about the kind of VERSATILE singleshot (SURVIVAL RIFLE, woods gun, truck/trunk gun, camp plinker, youth starter gun, etc.) that a .357 Maxi rifle might offer! (?)

along with whatever [favorite] barrel length the Maxi-owner "favored."

And consider the .45 Colt / .410 shotgun combinations one sees, whether in a Handi, Rossi, or Thompson/Center ..... Someone somewhere thought those .45 Colt and .410 pairings would make GREAT survival/scrounging, camp/truck/trunk combination guns, etc.)

Well, not to my thinking (and tastes - esp regarding the use of those two rounds!)

Although I do like that concept if a useful cartridge combination was available to my liking!

Well .... with the .38Spl, .357Mag and Maxi ...... For a survival, plinking, camping and just general use gun ......

If a fellow had some low velocity (or medium) .38's loaded with wadcutters or semi-WC, could that serve as a small game round (without tearing up a rabbit or squirrel or grouse too badly?)

And if one also had a couple .357 loads (yeah they're a little more powerful, esp if one is using revolver ammo he might be carrying if his wheelgun or sidearm is a .357) I like the idea of being able to shoot a middle round (as well as revolver fodder) .....

And then if that fellow has a favorite (or two) worked-up Maxi loads for the deer stand or hog hunting (even black bears or elk at modest ranges for that Maxi-load, loaded with appropriate bullets of course),  HOW VERSATILE WOULD THAT BE!!??

Basically I could see a Handi-Maxi being the center of a modest but very decent and useful ".35 progam" when using all those rimmed rounds! 

My ideas certainly aren't original, but I'm not usually concerned about trying to match weapons (Hg and rifle) to using only one cartridge! 

Hence part of the reason I'd consider this more of a ".35 program" rather than a "combo" set up.

If I had a Maxi barrel, I'm more inclined to keep at 22 inches, rather than chop it.

In addition, I wondered about creating a .357 Maxi shotshell round too, but bagged the idea when I considered that a small game .38 wadcutter round might be better suited for bagging dinner (at 25 max yards or so), than fussing with a [hypothetical and silly?] concept?

Someone might chime in and ask How would one create a .357 Maxi-shottie however?

Who remembers back in the 1980's when Thompson/Center briefly offered their  .357Mag and .44Mag "Hotshot" pistol rounds for the Contender?

The key to making those "hotshot rounds work (along with the .410's in the current  .45C/.410 barrels), was using a special choke in the muzzle that was installed when shooting shot-rounds, but removing when shooting solid bullets.

[/color]That "special choke's" purpose was to stop the spinning charge of shot as it fired down the barrel, so when it exitted, it would exit without spinning (and the centrifical force of the spinning destroying the pattern).

[/color]I suppose a smith could install those chokes in a Maxi's muzzle, but that seems like a helluve lot of "trouble!"  I cannot really see where a Maxi shotshell should perform better than a small game .38 round for collecting small game!

[/color]Of course these ideas about a Maxi shotshell are all theoretical /hypothetical/ speculative on my part!  (and very un-necessary I will add)

I forgot to add, I cannot see trying to shoot more shot from a [theoretical] Maxi shot round than would be found in a .410! (thats 1/2 ounces or so ..... of #8's, #7 1/2's, etc.)

Speer offers plastic shot capsules for making .38/.357 snake loads .....

If a couple gas checks were used as over-powder "wads" in the Maxi case, then the shot was added with one of those plastic shot capsules added on top (and back end OPEN), when fired those plastic shot capsules are supposed to shatter (like glass?) once they serve their purpose.

I doubt I ever try these ideas, except for making .38Spl/.357Mag snake loads!