Author Topic: 28 ga slug....minie ball  (Read 1017 times)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
28 ga slug....minie ball
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
i got a 54cal  minie ball  for a friend

they look like they will be a perfect  slug for  28ga

415  grain  lee
has any one ever tried  ths  or have loading data??

also  a patched  53cal  round ball  looked good...[and a duplex patched ball]

any one ever try this??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 28 ga slug....minie ball
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:04:01 AM »
415 grains?  Doesn't a 12 gauge only weigh about 430  grains.  Could be a bit heavy unless one made a hollow base for it.  Of course if one reduce the velocity a bit it should work.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:33:25 AM »
I played with it ...the .54 minnie just for kicks it worked ok at best but we can't use 28 gauge slugs here in IL so I just let it be. However there is a manufacturer that makes a 28ga slug round now anyway. Don't remember who it was but a simple search should turn it up. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »
A round ball in a shot cup that will give you a nice sliding fit inbore and no choke constriction will shoot as well as the old 'trade guns'. Mine used patched .590-.595 RBs and if I had a 20ga. H&R I would try to find a combo that worked. I do use them in my .577 Snider with cut down 24ga. shotshells, no shotcup, just a card overpowder wad, though a 'piston wad' might make for a better seal?
I know the above is not specific to your gauge but the principles are the same.

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
A round ball in a shot cup that will give you a nice sliding fit inbore and no choke constriction will shoot as well as the old 'trade guns'.

What a heck ofa idea!   :o   Anybody try this in a 20 ga. fowler?  ??? I mean somethig like a fusil de chasse.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
I 'ran' trade guns and my last was a club-butt fowler for some years; patched round ball, though one was such a close fit I just used a wadded up green leaf overpowder and a .495 ball in the .500 bore with another leaf-wad over  :o (yep, worked fine 'in the field'), but that was back when I was a Mohawk 'Scout' for the British (unless the French were payin' better; either way I got to 'be aggressive' to white men. BTW, the Brits were 'cheap', but consistent  ;) ).
One chap used 20ga. HB Foster slugs in his smooth 20 (worked great) but none of us had the right size RB mould to do a ball that fit a shotcup to bore combination quite right.
Its a bit easier to work some of this out with a breech loader (now that they seem to have really caught on). It all comes down to sealing the gasses behind and carrying the close fitting ball with the cup petals acting as the 'patch' down-bore and spitting it out with no wobbles from being undersize and bouncing back & forth inbore.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
Ballistic products has slugs and loading info. for 28 ga guns . why re invent the wheel.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
Well........'cause.......the big ol' punkin ball has been used like forever........and still does as good a job as it ever did, dont have to worry about it staying nose first, or butt back on the trip.
BTW, anybody recovered any HB Foster type slugs from the snow, or other soft medium to see what they really look like after being kicked downbore with a healthy smokeless load and all that base wadding?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
A round ball in a shot cup that will give you a nice sliding fit inbore and no choke constriction will shoot as well as the old 'trade guns'.

What a heck ofa idea!   :o   Anybody try this in a 20 ga. fowler?  ??? I mean somethig like a fusil de chasse.

Richard & Blake,

Following not my idea (Ajay @ shotgunworld), but works well (on a pie plate @ 50 yards) in a 20g Rem 870 smoothbore youth slug gun;

20 ga Trap Commander wad
28ga 1/8" nitro card inside the shot cup
.575 285g Lee RB on top the 28ga card
Load in 2 3/4" Win AA/HS hull with a fold crimp
I don't want to publish the powder/amount but if you know me, send a PM and we will talk.
I am loading a bunch of these, at reduced velocity, approx 1,200 fps, for my wife & son to use in the 3 gun shoots.  Beats the heck out of paying a buck a piece for foster slugs to blow up clay pidgeons and knock over steel plates. 
I think the key to these shooting fairly accurately out of a smoothbore is a cylinder choke.  Your results may differ. ::)

I plan to load these same round balls  to around 1600 FPS and and see how they work out of my fully rifled Pardner 20ga.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.