Author Topic: Photos Of A "Lunch Hour" Cannon from the 1920's  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Auctioneer

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Paul Auction Co. Inc
Photos Of A "Lunch Hour" Cannon from the 1920's
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
I thought I'd post these just for the heck of it. This cannon was made by an employee of the Kissel Car Co. Hartford, WI. sometime in the 1920's. I bought it from the daughter of the man who made it. She vaguely recalled hearing her dad refer to it as a cannon but she was quick to assure me that she "only used it for a door stop". It's about 6" square at the base with a 1/2" bore in a 8" barrel. I have no idea why the touch hole is on an angle. I've never tried firing it; I bought it as a curiosity.
Tax Payers. Supporting The Shiftless And The Lazy Since 1913.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Photos Of A "Lunch Hour" Cannon from the 1920's
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Someone posted a similar contraption mad out a piece of unknow bronze  over on  Muzzle loader  Cannon board and I called it a pipe bomb.

It needs to be spiked and returned to its use as a family heirloom doorstop

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:44 PM »
Or maybe used as a "firecracker" or "bottle rocket" launcher................

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Someone posted a similar contraption mad out a piece of unknow bronze  over on  Muzzle loader  Cannon board and I called it a pipe bomb.

It needs to be spiked and returned to its use as a family heirloom doorstop

I think you could use it as a salute gun . It looks sturdy enough to me for blanks.I hope you  stick around long enough to be treated as one of us :o .

I know it is not easy for a newcomer here ,many have left too soon :( .

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:37 AM »
At first I didn't get what "lunch hour cannon" meant, then it ever so slowly began to dawn on me, that the maker made the piece on his lunch hour at work. Man, I'm like that Shylock Homes character; sometimes my powers of observation manage to even impress me.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:12:08 AM »
 I was expecting a picture of one of those sundial cannons.

There are examples of old unmarked handguns they call "lunchbox" or "toolbox specials." You see the odd one turn up now and then. My lunchbox might have been a tad heavy now and then had I worked in the Colt factory a century ago.  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:40:37 AM »
This doorstop should put out service    It should not be considered safe to shoot in any manner.  It does have worth as a heirloom and a piece of folk art.  But is should not be shot.

Those of you recommend shooting it, answer these questions?

How old is it?

What is it made from?

What has been shot in it?

Was it made with any attention to safe construction methods for a shooting device?

Just looking at it says NO!

None of you know and neither do I, if this thing is safe to shoot.

Advising  Auctioneer to shoot it in any way, is irresponsible.  I hope you are prepared to accept your liability if the thing fails and Auctioneer becomes injured, because he fired it on your advice.

Now if some knowledgeable competent person examined it physically and determine what is was made of and how it was made.  Then checked it to see if it was sound and said it was safe to shot. That would be different.

Until then I stand by my suggestion, spike it!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »
 I tend to agree with DD. In years past I might have fired something like that but not anymore. Who knows if the breech plug is secured properly?

A few of the sponsors here make similar sized cannons for very little money that are guaranteed to be safe if one wants a firing cannon.

Having the provenance, obtaining it from the Daughter of the original owner etc. makes it a really neat item though. I love stuff like that.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 02:47:46 AM »
I hope you  stick around long enough to be treated as one of us  .

I know it is not easy for a newcomer here ,many have left too soon

So true so true.  Ignoring some and getting help elsewhere seems to do the trick.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:31:15 AM »
Auctioneer,
I think that you already know this, but just in case; please don't ignore the excellent advice of those recommending that this barrel not be fired.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 04:29:59 AM »
I had a good conversation with Auctioneer on the phone a few days ago about his other cannon with the leaded in breech. During our conversation he mentioned this "lunch hour" cannon and its history. I suggested he share it with us here. He is a genuinely nice person with good judgement. He has been fortunate to aquire unique pieces of "Americana" and values them more for their collectors value and history than the ability to actually fire them. He is new here and it can seem a little tuff on newbie's, but I believe he will pleasantly surprise us occasionally with his unique finds.................... Thanks Auctioneer for sharing this "lunch hour" cannon with us, I look forward to seeing more of your post in the future :)

Dewayne

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
NOT ADVISING TO SHOOT IT :o  but wondering if someone might have used it more for a oxy-act. gas cannon, ive seen a number of dumbA#$S build those out and about....
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »
NOT ADVISING TO SHOOT IT :o  but wondering if someone might have used it more for a oxy-act. gas cannon, ive seen a number of dumbA#$S build those out and about....

What's wrong with an oxy-acet cannon? Don't care for the ol' Big Bang toys?

Sherlock Holmes

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
nothing wrong with the oxy-act. its more along the lines of the guys making/using them. something along the lines of hold my beer and watch this :o
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....