Author Topic: Scope buying advice please  (Read 916 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Scope buying advice please
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:03 AM »
Looking for a new scope to put on my Win Mod 70 30-06.
As of now it has a Bushnell Legend 3x9x50.  Not a bad scope, but I think I can do better in the low light department!!
I am looking at the Nikon Buckmaster.  I have several Prostaffs.  Is there a BIG difference in the BM and the PS?? I am also looking at a Minox ZA3 3x9x40.  Not sure about them as they are new to me.  Anyone have a Minox??
http://www.cameralandny....ics/minox.pl?page=66000
Anyone else use a Bushnell Legend?? What are you thoughts on it??
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I do have a budget and need to stay under 350 if possible.
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Scope buying advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »
As always my stock answer to scope questions is Leupold is rarely a bad choice. The VX II being a pretty good value when all things are considered. These are being phased out now and with some luck you should be able to find a deal on one. The VX2 is a better scope according to Leupold, and I suppose it ought to be.

The Legend the Buckmaster are both one step over entry level scopes. You can do better for a few $'s more. Both of those companies offer much better products, I would take advantage of those scopes myself.

A brand new lousy scope will always be lousy, a used quality scope will always be of high quality. If your budget is tight keep your eyes open for a used VX II even a Vari-X II isn't a bad scope and is equal to a new VX-I. Leupold is lauded for its stand up warrantee policy, age and ownership are not a question.

Buy once and cry once.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »
I don't know of a scope that's clearer than the minox za for under 500. Actually the next one up I have that is clearer is a Swarovski z3 that is about 600 more. They are good scopes. German schott glass. Assembled in America. Have a no fault warrantee. Clearer than a conquest or vx-3. Have a 250 price. Are under a pound. Have solid, repeatable adjustments. What's not to like? They are a good 500-600 scope for 250.

Molon labe

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:53 AM »
never was a prostaff fan. there a good reliable scope but poor in low light. At least the older ones were. Ive heard theyve improved it. the buckmaster is a bit better. Ive got a couple and there ok but nothing special in low light. Anymore if i buy a nikon i step up to a monarch. Great scope for the money. As is a vxII or better leupold. Dont have a minox scope but do have a pair of there binoculars, granted a lower line model but am not really impressed with the glass in them. My nikon monarch binocs are hands down better glass. that said ive seen alot of praise for there scopes. If it were my dime id look at a vx2 leupold or a nikon monarch. Both are proven scopes with good glass for the money. that said if your looking for inexpensive Natchez right now is selling reconditioned buckmaster for a 140 bucks. Your not going to find a better scope for any less.
blue lives matter

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »
Cameraland has a vortex viper 2-7 x 32 for $199 if you like a smaller profile scope.  The viper line is and excellent scope, optics, repeatability, and ruggedness.  Lots of good scopes out there, just purchased a simmons 6-18 x40 side focus prohunter from natchez for $59, crazy good optics and eye relief for that price!
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:40 AM »
another good choise.
Cameraland has a vortex viper 2-7 x 32 for $199 if you like a smaller profile scope.  The viper line is and excellent scope, optics, repeatability, and ruggedness.  Lots of good scopes out there, just purchased a simmons 6-18 x40 side focus prohunter from natchez for $59, crazy good optics and eye relief for that price!
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
Have about a dozen scopes.  All but two are Leupold.  One is a Burris pistol scope and the other a new Minox ZA5 that I haven't shot yet.  Bought it from Camera Land.  Found it elsewhere for a few bucks less but Camera Land had a penny round up deal to get a set of Minox binoculars.  I took that deal.  Already had a pair of Minox binocs and love them.  Wife has Sworovsky binocs and I can't tell any difference.
I like the Leupold warranty.  Never a question and service is fast.  Only Leupold I would not buy again is their high dollar 30mm scope made 15 years ago.  Can't recall the model name.  Scope is big and heavy and not worth $1000 in my opinion.  The mid range Leupolds are excellent and meet my needs.  I hunt whitetails over fields and in the woods.  I like 3X9 or 4X12 with standard reticule, nothing fancy.  Don't like fine or bold crosshairs, just the standard style 4-plex.  Been using Leupold for about 40 years now and have one that is so old it can't be dated by the serial number.  That have returned it  twice in the 40 years I've had it and I didn't get it new.  It's the older friction adjustment.  The click adjustment is much better according to some, but I have never been bothered by the friction.  Doubt they make those now.

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »
 I bought a 3x9x40 minox and am not as impressed as I thought i'd. Many nice components but the field of view is quite narrow. Objects also don't seem to magnify any BIGGER, if that makes sense. Very clear glass with good light gathering capabilities but honestly I like my Redfields more. The 3x9 and 2x7 redfield revolution scope is much preferred to my eyes and over 100 bucks less.

An absolute sleeper of a scope is the Kruger optics brand. Sold only in a few places online, they are owned by Columbia sportsware, and have their own assembly "clean rooms" somewhere in oregon, suspiciously sclose to the leupold address. their lowest end line is china made. Their glass is EXCELLENT, and their turrets are identicle to the Minox turrets so far as I can tell. Mine are very tight and precise, very bright and clear. Most are around 100 bucks.   
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »
 Check out the Sightron SII 'Big Sky' in 3-9. Reviews are available at Midwayusa & other places.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »
I too am not impressed with minox yet. I bought a set of  minox 10x42 binoculars granted at the time they were only listed as 400 dollar binoculars and i got them on sale for 300 but they dont hold a candle to my 200 dollar pair of nikon monarchs opticaly. I seen them now being clearanced out at less then a 150 bucks and can about tell you why. I cant comment as to whether there higher end stuff is better or competitive to others in there price range but between my experience with these binoculars and the internet talk about poor reliablility in there first run of scopes id be a bit skeptical about them until something came along that really change my mind.
I bought a 3x9x40 minox and am not as impressed as I thought i'd. Many nice components but the field of view is quite narrow. Objects also don't seem to magnify any BIGGER, if that makes sense. Very clear glass with good light gathering capabilities but honestly I like my Redfields more. The 3x9 and 2x7 redfield revolution scope is much preferred to my eyes and over 100 bucks less.

An absolute sleeper of a scope is the Kruger optics brand. Sold only in a few places online, they are owned by Columbia sportsware, and have their own assembly "clean rooms" somewhere in oregon, suspiciously sclose to the leupold address. their lowest end line is china made. Their glass is EXCELLENT, and their turrets are identicle to the Minox turrets so far as I can tell. Mine are very tight and precise, very bright and clear. Most are around 100 bucks.
blue lives matter

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:25:03 AM »
"
"                I usually stick with Leupolds but can't resist a bargain so I bought one of the Vortex Viper 2-7 versa-plex riflescopes when it was on closeout for $ 150.00. It's just a bit longer than the Leupold 2-7 but it is a terrific scope. I have also been told by a local gunshop owner that Vortex is really good about backing up their warranty. ( He said he has had to send a couple of the entry level Vortex's back) Most of the scopes I have are discontinued models bought at discounted prices,even the Leupolds.  I'm a big fan of 2-7s, but suspect you might want something that is  longer because of ring spacing.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:06 AM »
Just purchased a Nikon Monarch 3-12 X 42. Mighty clear and equally as good a warranty as Leupold. In my estimation it's a lot better bang for the buck. Pun intended!
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI