Author Topic: Antelope (Pronghorn) Hunting. Outfitter or DIY Suggestions.  (Read 1020 times)

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
Antelope (Pronghorn) Hunting. Outfitter or DIY Suggestions.
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:38:34 AM »
Must be the crummy weather and closing of deer season a couple of weeks ago, but I am really wanting to make a trip out west (I live in Indiana) to try my hand at bagging a pronghorn with one of my rifles. I am always on a budget both time and money wise, so I am asking for some advice and guidance on how I should proceed in making this dream a reality in the next year or two. I've been to South Dakota prarie dog shooting, but thats about as far west as I have been on a shooting/hunting trip. Wyoming, Texas, or mayby the Dakotas? I am sure some one has dealt with reputable outfitters or may know of good public land to at least see game. Just looking to start the conversation to get some education.
Appreciate your feedback in advance.
Thanks,
8uck5nort

Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Antelope (Pronghorn) Hunting. Outfitter or DIY Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:57:48 AM »
Wyoming has way more antelope than any other state. There is almost two Wyomings. East of say Casper, is largely private land, so you will most likely have to get permission to hunt,  BUT, it is relatively easy to draw a license. Except for the extreme SE corner of the state and National Forests it shouldn't be a problem to kill an antelope. The west side of the state is largely public land, BUT, licenses there are hard to draw. Really wide open remote country, have vehicle problems, or get lost, and you could be in trouble. You should have no problem getting an antelope. I often shoot not the best rifles like muzzle loaders, 30 30s, 32 40, 45 70 just to have a little challenge.

About the first thing you would want to start is a map of at least the quality of the De Lorme Wyoming Atlas.

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
Appreciate the feedback. I just sold off some rifles (two of my Marlins), and set the money aside for this purpose. I also spoke with my better half and she would like to go, so it looks like all lights are green. My wife does not want to hunt, but would like to make the trip and maybe do some sight seeing. I have been doing a lot of digging on the internet researching Outfitters and there are a lot of them. I guess what I am looking for is a good one at a decent price. I am not looking for B&C trophy just an opportunity to hunt some place different and for someone to show me the ropes. If I take a liking to the area I might come back and try a DIY trip the second time out, or book a second time if I can afford it. I have 3 sons who are in college or work full time, so I am always looking to include them if there schedule and budget allows.
I have a 7x57 mauser that I would like to bring. I am assuming that is plenty for antelolpe out to 300 yards.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:06:38 AM »
Let me ask about land owner permits on a ranch near Roswell NM.  I went there several years ago and even with gov. hunters taking 200 antelope the weekend before, there were scads of antelope.  ( they also raise alfalfa on the ranch). I only went to shoot because my hunting friend had just had cataract surgery.....so I don't know the particulars.  The ranch did provide a home made lunch that day and the owners were good folks.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
Wyoming has far more antelope than any other state.  If you want a trophy, seek advice from others.  But be on notice: trophy hunting is typically expensive.  Said in another way, if you want to do a hunt on the cheap but take trophy animal, you have mutually antagonistic goals.  Do-it-yourself hunting can be done very cheaply and successfully, provided you don't measure the success of your hunt by the size of your horns.

Wyoming units 23 and 24 have many permits and many antelope available.  You would have two options.  You could find land owners who would let you hunt on their property for a modest trespass fee.  I did that in 2004, hunted 5 minutes from Gillette, Wyoming, and paid a $100/gun trespass fee.  My son took a 12" buck; I took a doe.  The other alternative is that there is in fact a lot of public land a bit further south, in the Thunder Basin National Grassland area.  Find out what GMUs have portions in the Thunder Basin and hunt there.  My vague recollection is that Unit 7 is in this Thunder Basin area and may only take 1 or 2 preference points to draw.  Thus, you would begin putting in for preference points immediately (have you checked the application deadline in Wyoming for pronghorn?  Might already be past for 2013).  Odds of drawing for non-residents are things you can look up on line.  You can order appropriate maps -- bureau of land management (BLM) maps -- based on the information on the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game (or whatever their name is in Wyoming -- some states have slightly different names for this governmental function).
Pronghorn hunting is a lot of fun.  The success rate is about 95%, so if you go, you will succeed.  Have a plan for caring for your game and getting it home to Indiana.  I typically carry my game home in coolers with dry ice.  If elk, I try to moderate the amount of dry ice to keep the meat cool but not frozen and then butcher the elk myself at home.  In 2004 when we got two pronghorn, I butchered these in the hotel room and froze the meat rock solid with dry ice.

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:10:50 AM »
FPH,
Thank you for the inquiry. I did not really consider NM. However, I have relatives in Texas that I could use as a way point during the travel so that might work out well.
alsatian,
I am not looking for a trophy, and Wyoming was the first state that came to mind. I am definitely looking for an economical trip, but I realize it is not cheap by any standard. I did spend some time on Wyomings Game and Fish Dept site. Their deadline is the March 15th. License fees are 272.00 for buck antelope and 48.00 for doe/fawn. No over counter, all draw. I also found a lot of approved outfitter resources as well as hunters helping landowners program. As for maps that I will definitely want to do. Did you have a GPS? Is there a real need for one?
The 15th deadline may be a little too close for me to get things arranged for this year, but I am going to try. If I can't get it going for 2013 then I am definitely planning for the 2014 season. 
I will have a nice size cooler(s) for meat and will keep it frozen. I am assuming dry ice can be had locally? I will plan the hunt after any sightseeing trip my wife may want to take so it is on the way home. All good suggestions.
What calibers did you and your son use?
Thanks to all who have responded.

Offline FPH

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »
My friend is out of town this week.  I'll be able to speak with him next week.  I used a 6 mm Rem.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47:47 AM »
8uck5nort,    If you havent already go to the hunting in western states forum and read posts about antelope hunting.  Wyoming is your best bet as far as animal numbers, I have hunted the areas in the eastern plains 9, 10 ,12, 29  and there is some good state land, BLM land, and walk on private lands that you can find plenty of antelope on.
 If you and your wife are looking to stay in a motel or something like that make your plans now as the few that are in the larger towns book up quick for hunting season and are hard to get.
 If you dont mind paying a trespass fee, You should be able to find plenty of ranches that would allow you to hunt . You really dont need a outfitter unless you cant take care of the animal after shooting it, as that is a concern as early antelope season can be very warm and you need to get the animal cooled down quickly and out of the sun.
  I live in OH and have gone to WY every year since 2000 and never tire of getting out there and seeing hundreds of square miles of open country with herds of antelope running around wild , sometimes seeing hundreds in a single day and only a handful of people that live there.
 Antelope hunting is really fun as you never know what they will do next. Sometimes you really have to work to get within shooting distance of them and other times ( many ) I have had rutting bucks come right at me , barking, stiff legged within 40 yards and defy you to shoot them ?
 If you go and are only after 1 animal, be sure the situation is what you want before shooting as it can be all over 5 mins into the hunt and your  done,  Been there and done that.  ???
 Good Luck and start making your plans now as the license draw for this year is already over but you can buy leftover licenses but need to read up and understand there system for licenses .
When they go on sale ( leftover licenses ) you can buy them online but they go quickly and you have to have a plan prior to know where your going to stay  and what area you plan to hunt in.
   Wish you the Best !        jedman
Update !!    I just looked and the deadline for the antelope license draw is March 15 th so there is still a week left if you go that route.
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 02:52:04 AM »
We had a great time with this outfitter:  Randy Routier www.huntsd.net

TR

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
Just put in for tags in Wy the other day.  My buddy has done this hunt a few times and he does it with out an outfitter.  So I will see.
Saw a 25-06 Ruger in my favorite shop the other day and am thinking if I get drawn that it would be a good choice over my 10 pound Rem 700 V in 308win.