Author Topic: Rate your season  (Read 939 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Rate your season
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
My hunting is basically over until spring turkey.  How would you rate your seasons this year?

Overall for me they were:
    Dove - average to below average
    Fall turkey - horrible
    Duck - top year ever
    Goose - 2nd best year
    Deer (rifle) - best
    Deer (ML) - poor but then again I only went once

I put all my decoys away this weekend and it was kind of sad. 
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Rate your season
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
Bucks 2 could have killed atleast 10 more
Hog    1 and missed the biggest I have ever seen in the wild.
ducks lots mostly with easy access
squirrels  2 pots full
Stripers  a bunch every morning I went on Texoma
trout   2 limits
1 big largemouth & 1 large smallmouth caught caught on back to back casts on Lake Texoma using Pop R

Rates one of the best years I have had

Hey Specklebelly are you on Oklahoma Duck Chat also????
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline JPShelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
My Oklahoma season stank.  Work commitments had me missing the muzzleloader and modern gun deer seasons.  My bow is still back in California, and I'm more in to target shooting with it than being interested in killing anything with it.  So no deer for me this year.  Unless wacking them with a pickup on SR-10 counts :).
I did go back to California over Christmas and New Year's.  I limited out on quail on two hunts, and shot a little 95 pound sow while I was out there.
Moving halfway across the country is kind of like having to learn how to hunt all over again.  Compared to California with its vast tracts of Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands to hunt on, Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of public hunting land.  I'm still trying to learn what's on the local Cherokee WMA.  I know there's a lot of small game hunting opportunities that I have taken next to no advantage of since moving out here five years ago.  I didn't hunt deer here this past season, or the first season I lived here, but I shot deer during muzzleloader and modern gun during the three that I did hunt here.  All on public land, all without much effort.  No doubt that this season would have been the same had I had the opportunity to hunt.
What I am focusing on now is trying to find feral swine on public land, and scouting a few public land areas out in western Oklahoma to get a feel for whether or not I want to bother quail hunting on it next year, or just keep driving to Arizona.
This is probably hard to believe, but I only know two other people out here who hunt.  One is from California.  The other is from Arkansas.  The guy from California hunts on private land near where he lives, and also hunts some on Camp Grueber.  My pal from Arkansas just goes hunting in Arkansas when the season is on.
So, I'm kind of at a stage where I am starting from scratch, trying to learn as much as I can about the public lands near me by spending as much time as possible hiking in them.  Given how small they are compared to what I am used to, I should have the Cherokee WMA that is close to me all figured out by now.  Work and other things keep getting in the way and slowing down the process considerably. 
One of those "other things" is my 12 year old daughter's budding interest in fly fishing.  I've been spending a good many weekends with her fly fishing on Barren Fork Creek.  Not complaining, though, because we catch A LOT of fish out of that creek and it is a lot of fun to fish.
JP

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:41:11 AM »
Hey Specklebelly are you on Oklahoma Duck Chat also?
Yep, I am on DHC with the same handle. 
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
Thought it was you.

Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.