Author Topic: Model 12 12 gauge  (Read 1555 times)

Offline blacklab

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Rather be looking at it than wishing for it
Model 12 12 gauge
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:38:21 AM »
I received a mod 12 from an estate of a friend who I didn`t have a clue would own a gun.
Anyway it is 30 inch full choke ribbed bbl really great shape. Question---what ammo to shoot
for ducks? Thanks for any help

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Model 12 12 gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:00:41 AM »
Youre gonna have a tough time hitting decoying ducks with that full choke.  First time shooting clays I took my Pops old model 12.  Couldnt hit anything...guy next to me walks over and says huh full choke...wait till they get way out there..he was right...so unless youre shooting high flying ducks or ur are an extremely good shot that full choke is gonna give you trouble.  Works perfect for rabbits and such.  Dont shoot steel out of it..only lead or heavy shot.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:08:51 AM »
Avoid steel shot as it is too hard for safe use in early guns, and can damage the choke.  Check all the major manufacturers - there are plenty of softer alternatives recommended for older guns.  If the majority of your duck hunting is over decoys at 25 yards or so, you might want to test your patterns, and if too tight, a gunsmith can easily polish you choke open a little to give you Modified or Improved Cylinder patterns.  It might hurt collectors value a little, but unless it is a rare example, there were a lot of these guns made, and would make the gun a lot more practical for your use...

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline blacklab

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
If I have the choke opened up to mod can I shoot Blackcloud close range?

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
It's your gun - but I wouldn't use anything other than shot that's recommended for older guns.

Your model 12 was made with quality barrel steel, but it wasn't designed to shoot anything harder than lead.   Hevi-shot is just as hard or harder than steel.

Several companies now make non-toxic loads that are about as soft as lead.  The only downside is they are more expensive than steel, but ruining the barrel on your gun isn't cheap either!

Offline blacklab

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
I would be lucky to shoot 2 boxes of shells a season with this gun. I would only shoot it if conditions were right. If the shooting gets hot and heavy thats when the 390 comes out. I guess bismuth would be the answer to my question. I wouldn`t shoot hevi shot if I was out of everything. Just thought someone may have tried something under similar conditions. Just punch out the choke to a mod and shoot bismuth. Really like the blackcloud close range.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
If you are only going to shoot two boxes per year, why not spend a few buck a box more and get the correct ammo for the barrel?  Don't be penny wise and pound foolish over two boxes.  You have a nice older gun that could be valuable some day.

Offline crossxsticks

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
I received a mod 12 from an estate of a friend who I didn`t have a clue would own a gun.
Anyway it is 30 inch full choke ribbed bbl really great shape. Question---what ammo to shoot
for ducks? Thanks for any help

You may have a modle 12 Trap gun if it got a rib  unless it has been added,  do it say trap on the bottom of slide tube.  and do it have a large fore arm   if it is a trap grade  wouldnt that be great .   I have shot  trap , duck,  wabbits   turkey and gobs of quail you name it with a mod 12  . but now days  i  wouldnt  shoot steel in a good gun like a mod 12 at all if it were mine .