Author Topic: Can a .30 carbine handi rifle be made?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jdr99a

• Trade Count: (0)
Can a .30 carbine handi rifle be made?
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the .30 carbine round and I've just stumbled across the handi rifles...so you can probably guess where I'm going with this.

Is it possible to turn one of the availqble handi rifles into .30 carbine? Which one(s)? Who can do the work?

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Can a .30 carbine handi rifle be made?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
No on current handi rifle barrel. You can have one stubbed. I have two of them.  But one got turned into a 300 blackout.  Two great shooting guns.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
According to AMMO GUIDE INTERACTIVE a 22 Hornet could be rebored and rechambered to 30 carbine.
It would not completely clean up the Hornet chamber.
The case would be a little short.
22 Hornet is 1.40" long
The 30 Carbine is 1.29" long

Yes, based on your settings, you may be able to ReChamber your .22 Hornet firearm to .30 Carbine.
(Shoulder angle is estimated)[/color]
.30 Carbine at AmmoGuide.com
.30 Carbine
[/font]

Just thought I would pass this along.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
+1 on what Jason said.  I would go the stubbed route.  It's easier. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »
Longtom,
It might be OK. Figure the rebore diameter and the leade.... you'll never notice.  ;D

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
I posted on the potential for making the '30 Carbine, Rimmed' not long ago; resize 32-20 cases in a 30C die and chamber a std. 30cal. barrel to an H&R, chamber it to 30C and cut a rim relief.
The max length for the 32-20 cases is 1.315 so likely you can end up with them about that, and maybe a tad longer after sizing in the 30C die which will knock off the slight bottleneck.
In all likelyhood std. 30C cartridges should fit this chamber as well, but you would have the rim on the reformed 32-20 for those of us who like rims. The extractor/ejector may not work for both, but the 30C can easily be snagged with a small screwdriver in the rim cut to pop out, I should think.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
I have used the 32-20 and also used them as a parent case for a couple obsolete chamberings in the past. Personally, I'd be skeptical about loading that case to 30 carbine levels. The 32-20 is known for its extremely thin case walls.
Stuffing it as a 30c would be pushing it to extremes at nearly twice its intended pressures and velocities. Should it work (and I'm not saying it won't because I've never tried it) I predict short case life as a result of case head seperations.
You are right though as the 32-20 case will form easily in a 30 carbine die. I use that combo to resize my 310 Cadet cases made from 32-20 brass :)
Running the thoughts through my head, wouldn't it be easier/efficient in the long run to use 30 carbine cases and a purpose-made extractor? Chamber cut/OAL and headspace would be more critical though.
Can you link me back to your original post on the topic in case I missed something you already thought of? It might save you some typing!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
I've made up a bunch of them, the are really a fun little gun to shoot, you can even load 170gr cast and shoot them subsonic.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 01:55:54 AM »
I have a stubbed .30 carbine H&R and it really a great gun to carry and to shoot. Try one and you will fall in love with it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:17:46 AM »
I have a stubbed .30 carbine H&R and it really a great gun to carry and to shoot. Try one and you will fall in love with it....<><.... :)

HELLO ANDY!!!!  GREAT to hear and see you back!

I have a couple 32-20 firearms and one 32-20 H&R and altho the 30 Carbine is neat and has a following it won't do anything my 32-20 can and does. ;)  ::)   For me I'll keep with the 32-20, its got history. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:17:24 AM »
I wanted to get away from the 32-20 lube/clean cases to resize and have that easily acquired 30cal. barrel for stub, and the rimmed base. Also, I should have mentioned, that my intention is to use cast bullet loads, not 30C class loads, though with a well done chamber and the almost straight case the should be no pressure issues. As I said, with this idea, if you have and want to load and shoot 30C, it should work fine too. If H&R were making 30C chambered Handies I have no doubt someone would have already done a rim cut and be doing this.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:13 AM »
I wanted to get away from the 32-20 lube/clean cases to resize and have that easily acquired 30cal. barrel for stub, and the rimmed base. Also, I should have mentioned, that my intention is to use cast bullet loads, not 30C class loads, though with a well done chamber and the almost straight case the should be no pressure issues. As I said, with this idea, if you have and want to load and shoot 30C, it should work fine too. If H&R were making 30C chambered Handies I have no doubt someone would have already done a rim cut and be doing this.

I think all know I am a fan of rims on my handi chambered rifles... BUT to make one for the sake of doing it...well the rimless is more popular because in many cases, its a improvement. The need for a rim is for the action, NOT for the cartridage...

The 30 carbine ''class'' is easilly handled with a handloaded 32-20. No ''need'' to re create the wheel as I see things. I mean what would be the improvement?  I could see doing a 30 Carbine if that's your thing or you had a couple other 30 carbines and an abundance of brass and loading for it etc...

For me to make a new cartridage its gotta do something not avalible before OR do something better then whats avalible. Maybe I'm getting practile in my old age...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:06 AM »
Maybe I'm getting practile in my old age...
CW
Is that a conjunction of "practicing" and "erectile?"
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »
Maybe I'm getting practile in my old age...
CW
Is that a conjunction of "practicing" and "erectile?"

LOL nope... Its simply a spell checker that DON'T WORK here combined with a poor speller.  ::) :o ;)

On long posts I compose with WORD and transfer here... with quick answers... well, you see what happens. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:38 AM »
I have to admit (confess?) that my notion was self serving, I have a 30-06 barrel, a 30C reamer 'available', a bunch of 32-20 brass to run through a 30C sizer and friends willing to make it all happen  ;D .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
All of the reasons stated above are why I want to do a .327 Fedreal Mag. Rimmed? check. straight walled so no case lube? check. thicker brass for easier reloading? check. similar bullet weights and velocities of the .32-20? check. bullet availability like the .30? no, but .311-.312 has a good selection. Really want to see this one come to be, but it keeps sliding down my priority lists for easier to finish projects. This one will be expensive for me because machinist, i am not.