Author Topic: Home mixed additive for cleaning cases  (Read 1116 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Home mixed additive for cleaning cases
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »
Does any one have a good recipe for a Home mixed additive to add to media to clean cases?  I've been using commercial additives for years, but I know some of you guys make your own.  Anyone care to share, their formula?

On another note, I just got a case stuck in my RCBS sizing die, while resizing 30-06 cases.  The rim of the case just pulled out of the shell holder, now I can't get it unstuck.  Anyone know if RCBS will remove it for a fee?

Thanks for any suggestions.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Home mixed additive for cleaning cases
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:49:14 AM »
yes rcbs will get your case out but a stuck case extractor set from rcbs will cost not a whole lot more then the price to ship your dies and you will have it for next time.
blue lives matter

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:04 AM »
I don't know any "home recipe" for cleaning brass but what I use is that is cheap to buy and shines brass cases to a like new brilliance is New Finish brand car polish.  It is inexpensive and contains no waxes.  New Finish is best when used in a tumbler with corn cob media, as I tried it in crushed walnut hulls and the brass was clean but not really shiny.
Also, I agree with Lloyd about getting a stuck case removal set.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:35:22 AM »
Try putting the die it`self in the freezer for a few hours,,
found elsewhere

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:29 AM »
I don't know any "home recipe" for cleaning brass but what I use is that is cheap to buy and shines brass cases to a like new brilliance is New Finish brand car polish.  It is inexpensive and contains no waxes.  New Finish is best when used in a tumbler with corn cob media, as I tried it in crushed walnut hulls and the brass was clean but not really shiny.
Also, I agree with Lloyd about getting a stuck case removal set.
Luckyd - Thanks, that's what I was thinking about, instead of the commercial additives for brass cleaning.  I'll check Wallyworld to see if they carry it.

Try putting the die it`self in the freezer for a few hours,,
necchi - I'll give this a try first.

yes rcbs will get your case out but a stuck case extractor set from rcbs will cost not a whole lot more then the price to ship your dies and you will have it for next time.
Lloyd - Guess I'll have to pick up one of those sets.  I've been reloading for a while now, and I've never had this happen before.  First time the rim of the case gave way.

Thanks for the suggestions. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline zfishingfool

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:03:01 AM »
how much do you add to the corn media

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »
Here's my home made additive recipe.  I use lizard litter (crush walnut shells) from the pet store.  Currently my tumbler also has a few handfuls of corncob media mixed in, it was the last of a bag.  In a rubbing alcohol bottle I mix equal parts Nu Finish and paint thinner, I eye ball it.  You will need to shake this well as it will separate after it sits.  Turn the tumbler on and add about two tablespoons of the shaken mix equally around the bowl on the media.  Again I eye ball it with a cap off a laundry detergent bottle with a marking line on it.  I add more if the brass is really dirty or tarnished.  Let the tumbler run for 5-10 minutes until the additive is mixed in, add your brass and come back in three hours.  The brass will be clean and glowing.

Almost forgot, before tumbling I use the Lee universal decaping die to remove the primers.  The pockets will be clean enough after tumbling you won't need to to anything else with them.

The theory behind this is by thinning out the Nu Finish it mixes thoroughly with the media then the paint thinner evaporates leaving the Nu Finish. 

I like really shiny brass, I'm cheap, and I like simple processes.  This works.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »
A good squirt or two of any car polish does the trick.  Don't forget to let it run for a while before adding brass as it can clump up inside a piece of brass and cause you problems during the loading process. 

For the stuck case all you need is an 11/64 drill bit, 1/4 20 tap and a piece of allthread along with a hand full of washers and a nut.  I'd bet that if you can't figure out what to do with these items youtube would offer some guidance.  Only takes a couple minutes to remove a stuck case.  When you load for full auto stuff you get real good at it. 

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 02:48:11 AM »
A good squirt or two of any car polish does the trick.
The polishes usually do not contain ammonia. Ammonia and brass do not go well together at all. The brass will brake down thereby shortening the life of the brass.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
necchi - The die in the freezer trick didn't work.

A good squirt or two of any car polish does the trick.  Don't forget to let it run for a while before adding brass as it can clump up inside a piece of brass and cause you problems during the loading process. 

For the stuck case all you need is an 11/64 drill bit, 1/4 20 tap and a piece of allthread along with a hand full of washers and a nut.  I'd bet that if you can't figure out what to do with these items youtube would offer some guidance.  Only takes a couple minutes to remove a stuck case.  When you load for full auto stuff you get real good at it.
Old Syko - Tried your suggestion, had the drill and tap, and washers already, used a 2 1/2" bolt instead of the allthread, that I picked up from Home Depot.  Also picked up a 1/2" EMT screw coupling for a spacer.  Wouldn't you know it, I snapped the bolt while removing the case.  Had to drill out the bolt, and then use a screw extractor to remove the remains of the bolt.  After I got the bolt out, I went  to an auto supply shop, and picked up a "hardened" bolt, then re-tapped the case and used the harden bolt to remove the case.  It worked out very well, after the bolt snapping fiasco. 

I used the drill and tap trick to remove some batteries that had corroded, out of a double A, Mag-light a year ago, that's the reason I had the correct size drill bit and tap.  The funny thing is I didn't even think about doing that until you reminded me.  Guess it's the CRS syndrome. :P

Luckyducker - Is the Nu Finish paste okay? or should I go looking for the liquid form.  I know they sell it, I've used it before.

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »
the wealth of knowledge here at graybeard amazes me everyday.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
A little Lemi-Shine in some warm water with a squirt of dishwashing liquid and you don't even need a tumbler.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=428372
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
OSR you broke off a mild steel bolt through a brass threaded hole? ???  Man, when the stars misalign for you they don't mess around do they?   ;D   Oh well, glad you got it out.  Better than sending back to the factory.  BTW, lubricate the bolt and washers next time.   ;)

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
Just a heads up to those that don't know. In life, you'll find that most everything is like real estate where the motto is location, location, location. In the world of chemistry it's application  application, application. Using a car polish for a brass cleaner is not the correct application. In the formulation of Nu Finish, which I'll bet none here have a clue about, are Stoddard Solvent which is the actual cleaning agent that makes the brass clean. You might recognize Stoddard Solvent by the more common name of cleaning fluid.There's proprietary ceramic microspheres that are imparted on any surface it touches- read, like a dry silicone lubricant. It also has Oleic Diethanolamide which is a lubricant and a detergent. Most any cartridge depends on the brass grabbing the chamber walls during the pressure build, you have just deleted this most important function of the brass by using Nu Finish. Bolt thrust will be severe  Yeah, I know, some have been using it for years and no issues. But some folks think if they can hit a 3 foot piece of paper at 100 yds accuracy is fabulous. Some think that just because the gun hasn't blown up yet it's fine. Eventually the rifle will start having head space issues from the bolt taking a beating. There's tons of rifles in the shops with headspace issues. So the gist of this post is, you now know better than to use a car polish for brass in a gun. It's your decision to use gun application products or use automotive application products on your guns. Yer on yer own.

From Nu Finish website:
We always recommend that you first try Nu Finish[/size]picuous area, even if you are polishing your car.[/size] [/size] on an inconsDo not use Nu Finish Car Polish on vinyl, plastic trim, simulated wood, rubber or flat paint. Also, do not use Nu Finish on areas like tile floors and bathtubs. It makes the surfaces extremely slippery and could cause injury to others.[/color]

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
Just a heads up to those that don't know. In life, you'll find that most everything is like real estate where the motto is location, location, location. In the world of chemistry it's application  application, application. Using a car polish for a brass cleaner is not the correct application. In the formulation of Nu Finish, which I'll bet none here have a clue about, are Stoddard Solvent which is the actual cleaning agent that makes the brass clean. You might recognize Stoddard Solvent by the more common name of cleaning fluid.There's proprietary ceramic microspheres that are imparted on any surface it touches- read, like a dry silicone lubricant. It also has Oleic Diethanolamide which is a lubricant and a detergent. Most any cartridge depends on the brass grabbing the chamber walls during the pressure build, you have just deleted this most important function of the brass by using Nu Finish. Bolt thrust will be severe  Yeah, I know, some have been using it for years and no issues. But some folks think if they can hit a 3 foot piece of paper at 100 yds accuracy is fabulous. Some think that just because the gun hasn't blown up yet it's fine. Eventually the rifle will start having head space issues from the bolt taking a beating. There's tons of rifles in the shops with headspace issues. So the gist of this post is, you now know better than to use a car polish for brass in a gun. It's your decision to use gun application products or use automotive application products on your guns. Yer on yer own.

From Nu Finish website:
We always recommend that you first try Nu Finishpicuous area, even if you are polishing your car. on an inconsDo not use Nu Finish Car Polish on vinyl, plastic trim, simulated wood, rubber or flat paint. Also, do not use Nu Finish on areas like tile floors and bathtubs. It makes the surfaces extremely slippery and could cause injury to others.
Now  you  got  me  worried  about  buying  used  guns.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
I pretty much don't believe this.  Case lube is slick and we leave it on loaded ammo.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
That's right!  Never open a paint can with a screwdriver.  Never drive a nail with a ballpeen hammer.  Never use a sae wrench on a metric bolt.  Never clean your gun with WD-40.  Never mix synthetic oils with dino oils.  Guess I should never believe my own lying eyes.   ::)   Funny thing about the difference between theory and practical application isn't it?

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »
Ed Harris writer for the American Rifleman and the creator of Ed's Red gun cleaner said that he would put an ounce of Ed's Red in a tumbler full of fresh media and then run it for a couple hours with the lid off to mix in and dry out then tumble as normal.  I find this gets cases clean but not shiny and that has always been good enough for me.

Tony