Author Topic: Report on Full-length vs Neck resizing on 30-30 Cartridges for HandiRifle  (Read 689 times)

Offline rawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Progress Report

I am getting happier and happier with my 30-30 Handi groups, slightly less than 1" at a lasered 101yds last time out a few days ago. This with a fixed 4x is about as good as I can see and hold, period, even though it is rested; the rifle could be slightly better than that for all I know. The trigger may have slicked up some with use, but was 7-8 lb pull when new and I last measured it... a bit stiff and definitely a factor. Shooting a medium-mild load of 150gr Remington SPCL FB spitzer or a 150gr Hornady SP IL FB spitzer over 30gr of IMR3031.

When I first bought the gun before this past deer season, probably in Sept, it seemed to be pretty accurate at first with factory loads bought to get brass for reloading. The first reloads did well too, but subsequent reloads went south fast, random vertical stringing with some lateral dispersion too. I experimented with the reloads and shot a whole lot till I finally noticed that when I chambered a reloaded cartridge there was noticeably more daylight between the barrel-breech and the standing-breech of the receiver.... like a couple of thousandths...and a lightbulb went off above my dense head. I had read in these threads a suggestion that 30-30 could be headspaced intentionally on its shoulder (like a .308, .30-06, et al)......   I had never thought about that. Well I had recently taken up reloading cartridges again after about 25 years of only BP flintlocks, and had been recently persuaded to neck-size only since this was only one gun to reload for. The light bulb told me that since I was not full-length resizing, the shoulder was blowing out enough to cause a headspace problem preventing the full closure of the breech lockup by a couple critical thousandths...

Started full length resizing and voila! problem solved. Let this serve as a warning to any other Nooby out there reloading necked cartridges for a break-action rifle. Unlike a bolt action which has lots of camming force as it closes the last fractions of an inch, the break-action will be affected negatively if the shoulder is not reset. My Lee neck-size only die does not do this, apparently.

BTW, my 30-30 Handi still has what looks like about half a thousandth of daylight at the standing breech. A .001" feeler will not go in....But if it will shoot 1" groups I will remain happy to let it "wear in."

rawdog

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Report on Full-length vs Neck resizing on 30-30 Cartridges for HandiRifle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
BTDT ;)
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
Progress Report

I am getting happier and happier with my 30-30 Handi groups, slightly less than 1" at a lasered 101yds last time out...
rawdog
I've seen lots of .30/30 groups like that at 100 yards... but never at 101... WOW! Good job.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:31:36 AM »
My 30/30 Handi would touch the first three shots at 100. It was just as accurate after reaming to 30/30 Ackley Improved.
When FL sizing your cases take a lot of CARE to "JUST" size them enough to chamber with easy closing of the action. You can get into other problems if you size them too much. Handi chambers in 30/30 may not have the rim recess accurately cut and using the rim to headspace the case can allow it to stretch cases, too. IF the rim was cut correctly it can do a great job of holding/headspacing the case but many prefer to use the shoulder for headspacing.
Just like a Contender, size it to 'just' where the action will close without undue force and all will be well!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13:40 AM »
IMHO, what you have discovered is valid and caused by only neck sizing loads which are pretty stiff. If you get to shooting cast bullets at reduced velo, and thus lower pressure, your Lee NSD will likely work very well, in fact, that is where that die really shines. I suspect that lower velo/pressure loads even with jacketed would be similar. You could try backing off the load some to the point where the shoulder isnt blowing forward, thus not need FLS, but it does sound like your dieset is perfect for your chamber as is.
Thats some good shooting! Especially with a heavy trigger. If you pull it down, clean the sear tip and notch and apply a dab of automotive anti-seize compound you will reduce that trigger pull considerably with no metalwork.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974