Author Topic: Buffalo Classic sights ...  (Read 1067 times)

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
Buffalo Classic sights ...
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:54:36 AM »
while awaiting the delivery of my BC, what's the skinny on sights?  will the stock sights suffice out to 300 yards?  if not, what's a good after market replacement?

thanx folks!

NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic sights ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
See Long Range Sights and Peep and Firesights in the FAQs, just depends on what front sight is on the barrel, if it's the .494" 17a it will work to a 150-200yds or so with the factory WGRS peep, with the .584" 17a front sight you'll be low at 100yds, the .404" 17a front sight works best for longer ranges with or without a rear sight upgrade, but doesn't come on the BC from the factory, it's aftermarket only. Lots of discussions on the BC shooting low with the factory sights, far too many. :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
....  Lots of discussions on the BC shooting low with the factory sights, far too many. :-\

Tim

why in the world would h&r offer what clearly is a long range big bore rifle and stick on sights that might not even work at 100 yards???? 

dang.

thanx for the scoop, tim ... off to check out the FAQ ...........

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Mine worked fine right out of the box.  With the height adjustment about midway up, I was on at 100 yards.  But I could not live with that hooded front.  Too dark in the woods.  Replaced both with Skinnere sights.  The front comes tall and can be filed to any distance you want.  That factory shaded post works great on targets though. 

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
Mine worked fine right out of the box.  With the height adjustment about midway up, I was on at 100 yards.  But I could not live with that hooded front.  Too dark in the woods.  Replaced both with Skinnere sights.  The front comes tall and can be filed to any distance you want.  That factory shaded post works great on targets though.

mike, what load were you using?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
....  Lots of discussions on the BC shooting low with the factory sights, far too many. :-\

Tim

why in the world would h&r offer what clearly is a long range big bore rifle and stick on sights that might not even work at 100 yards???? 

dang.

thanx for the scoop, tim ... off to check out the FAQ ...........

When they put the .494" sight in em it works fine for normal hunting ranges, not when they put the .584" sight in em.....they've been told more than once, I emailed and talked to em in Gardner about it long time ago when I bought my first one in 2004, so it's not like they don't know.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121146.msg1098409238.html#msg1098409238

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,171605.msg1098801642.html#msg1098801642

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,255678.msg1099504881.html#msg1099504881

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,262562.msg1099559177.html#msg1099559177

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »
setting up the buffalo classic for really long range shooting, 300 yards and beyond ...

from what i've seen so far, not an easy row to hoe.   

a good tang vernier will cost lots more than the buff classic itself and will require drilling into (and perhaps inletting) of the stock and/or tang.

the williams fp-h&r-tc is butt ugly and -from what i've read- won't reach out more than 300-400 yards and is not legal for most sass/cas events (if need be).

the receiver mount smith wesson-harrington ladder sight seems the logical choice for about $200, but other than it's s'posed to fit the h&r i dunno if it's a good choice.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:05 AM »
The Williams FP-TK-HR sight is good past 600 meters with the .404" tall front sight, Bernie has used his at that range with 500gr bullets, it's in the long range sights info in the FAQs. John Boy uses a vernier tang sight on his for 1000yd shooting, also in the FAQs. The Smith long range sight is barrel mounted in the two rear scope mount holes, not receiver mounted, but unfortunately it's out of production and backordered, Smith is into making war machine parts and has quit making cowboy stuff, hopefully they'll resume some day.  :(

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,111161.msg1098338948.html#msg1098338948

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:30:43 AM »
tim, what kinda range/distance can be expected with the stock BC rear sight and a .404" up front?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
You can get more range out of the basic BC rear peep (WGRS) by putting spacer material under the sight base. You will need longer screws is all. It is easy enough, but not precise, to dial in elevation, and a caliper measurement will make it much more repeatable than eyeballin'. The windage is more problematic, but you can use Kentucky Windage and hold over fairly well.
Beware, cheap tang sights are usually a disappointment.
The Smith 'Rough & Ready (Rem. style)' is good when in the up position, but the open sight will be too close to the eye for most (many for sure, especially older shooters) to really see properly. If I had one I would prefer having a normal barrel mounted open sight visible with the Smith down for 50-100yd. (and the right height front to work with both).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:28:57 AM »
tim, what kinda range/distance can be expected with the stock BC rear sight and a .404" up front?

I dunno for sure, those that I could find never said and I forget if I ever saw a report, one said with the FP-TK/.404" combo they were too high at 100yds, so they put the factory WGRS back on, since the WGRS doesn't have much elevation range, it might not be whatcha want for the longer stuff, but it would definitely be an improvement over the WGRS/.584"combo, the WGRS/.494" being a compromise. The FP-TK sight is click adjustable tho, very easy to change range, add the gib lock knob to replace the elevation lock screw and you're good to go tooless.  ;D

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,150968.msg1098634481.html#msg1098634481

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:10 AM »
with the unlikely prospect of the smith wesson-harrington barrel sight ($165) being offered in this decade (or ever again) , i found this shiloh barrel sight ($65)...

... yeah, dovetailed base and the ladder has a buckhorn and not an aperture.   wonder if it could be retro fitted to a bc, with a separate dovetail screw-in base to accept the sight?   

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:25:17 AM »
I had a Shiloh 1863 Sharps back in the '70's with a similar sight. The dovetail is a separate piece, so you should be able to drill the sight base proper for the right ctr-ctr on the H&R and screw it down like the Smith. Maybe a spacer piece will be needed under the sight base, I dont remember just whats under there.
Any mods are 'possible', given time, patience, and some soldering skills (SuperGlue can work for trials).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »
My Skinner and 17-404 worked fine out to 300... But I too ditched the hood and went to a Marbles ramp with a Skinner brass blade... Very little filing got me to where I want to be with mine... 0-200 Kentucky.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.